User Tag List

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bulldog has been bought out by Pipex,i have just been emaild.

Hope they don't start capping.

Just moved from Zen 1mb to Zen 8mb. Its capped on D/L's at 50GB so plenty for me.

Not cheap, ?35 to be precise but in the 2 years i've been with them they've been great. Just though i'd get a little extra speed.

AOL Platium Broadband Question

Was hoping someone might be able to help. I;ve just signed up to AOL Platinum broadband 1MB through ADSL. However just been downloading some mp3 files and nocied the download speed averages out at roughly 10kb/s.

Would anyone know what kind of download speed I should be expect Is this typical? The speeds I got on dial up were averaging around 5kb/s so the improvement is negligible.

With such download speed is it even worth considering online gaming with this?

Have you tried the speedtest on ADSLguide.org.uk ?

If the line isn't downloading at the correct speed speak to your provider

Just thought I'd add that I've been with Pipex now for about 5 years and I think I've had one short outage during that time and nothing but excellent service.

** Edited to say:

I've had massive problems with Pipex since moving to their ADSL Max service which is basically rubbish. These problems are more than enough to convince me to dump them and that's despite the previous 5 years here and more than 5 years at other addresses with them.
    Last edited by ascender; 27-10-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Signed up for Be* on the 22nd of September and was given an activation date of the 19th of September. Received the Be Box (modem/router) on the 27th and plugged it in. The 29th came around and .... nothing! Contacted customer services, who explained BT hadn't managed to activate the line on time. They said expect it in the next few days. It was activated briefly on Tuesday (3 Oct) morning but then switched off again, for no apparent reason.

It was finally activated again on Thursday the 12th of October, almost two weeks after the originally scheduled activation date. So far, it has synced higher than 1.5Mbit/s. Needless to say I am not too impressed. Some people do of course report excellent speeds, which is great for them. Obviously not great for me.

To be entirely fair however, it is possible these problems are down to BT. Despite that, I am a Be* customer and as such they should be working to ensure I have the best value for money here. If that means hassling BT then so be it. Again, it's a case of go with an ISP with excellent support. Zen and Nildram are repeatedly mentioned. If the service I am receiving from Be* doesn't improve, I will be changing.

Nildram have implemented a Traffic Management Policy on their broadband services. Nildram are owned by Pipex by the way....

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.sht...FuFZAVpSSBfGXT

If you are really bothered by traffic shaping on possible p2p traffic you can use enryption protocols ( if the software supports it ) or use a vpn such as secureIX.

Quote Originally Posted by gtskater
    Signed up for Be* on the 22nd of September and was given an activation date of the 19th of September. Received the Be Box (modem/router) on the 27th and plugged it in. The 29th came around and .... nothing! Contacted customer services, who explained BT hadn't managed to activate the line on time. They said expect it in the next few days. It was activated briefly on Tuesday (3 Oct) morning but then switched off again, for no apparent reason.

It was finally activated again on Thursday the 12th of October, almost two weeks after the originally scheduled activation date. So far, it has synced higher than 1.5Mbit/s. Needless to say I am not too impressed. Some people do of course report excellent speeds, which is great for them. Obviously not great for me.

To be entirely fair however, it is possible these problems are down to BT. Despite that, I am a Be* customer and as such they should be working to ensure I have the best value for money here. If that means hassling BT then so be it. Again, it's a case of go with an ISP with excellent support. Zen and Nildram are repeatedly mentioned. If the service I am receiving from Be* doesn't improve, I will be changing.
    That is pretty much exactly what happened to me. BT (ironically) were far more helpful the Be. It just seemed to me that by the end of it all, Be were over subscribed and didn't have enough people available to fix outstanding issues - so they tried to buy time with excuses. After extensive line tests by BT effectivley proving there was no fault - I went back to them saying that everything was fine BT's "end" and that I wished to cancel my subscription to the service - almost overnight everything started working.

Service has been ****e throughout to be honest - but I can't be arsed to leave, until I move house.

Whatever you do, DO NOT move to TalkTalk, they don't even give you broadband. I'd suggest going with BT or AOL.