X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4G dongle?

Comment

Question for [MENTION=9240]Olly C[/MENTION] please - a while ago you made me aware of an issue with Virgin Media and their modem: https://bordersdown.net/threads/1256...ghlight=virgin

However recently I've become aware that a patch has rolled out (c.Feb time) where I am now seeing very different latency on the modem. The latency spikes were very different from the continual yellow when I last looked at this. Therefore although I know there is some debate on the fix, it seems to be a lot better?

The red dropout is from just upgrading my package today (so whole VM connection was shut down for a few mins for the upgrade to the broadband)

Last edited by Digfox; 08-06-2019, 17:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
        Question for Olly C please - a while ago you made me aware of an issue with Virgin Media and their modem:

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

However recently I've become aware that a patch has rolled out (c.Feb time) where I am now seeing very different latency on the modem. The latency spikes were very different from the continual yellow when I last looked at this. Therefore although I know there is some debate on the fix, it seems to be a lot better?

Hi there,

Unfortunately I can't really help you out or shed any further light on how "fixed" the issue has been since I last posted.

I did read into certain people a few months back saying an update had been rolled out that included a potential fix but that update was being rolled out in an area by area basis and I couldn't be sure I'd get the update so didn't want to switch over to the SuperHub 3 (which I still have laying here in its box) and then not be able to switch back to the SuperHub 2 (some people in the past had issues doing that) if I had any issues..

Ever since that post sharing the issues (which had been going on for 2 years~ at least) I wasn't sure or at least didn't have faith that VM would be able to sort it, some people were speculating it was a hardware issue that couldn't be fixed but even if it wasn't VM were so slow and in denial for so long that I just wasn't hopeful.

I've been running my setup with the SuperHub 2 in modem mode linked up to a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 ever since and it's been fine for me, here's a screenshot of todays data (P.S. Your screenshot has your IP address in it that you may wish to hide)

I'm still on the VM 200 package myself.

Maybe I'll look into how the SuperHub 3 performs or is said to perform soon but as I'd be running it in modem mode anyway I don't think there would be any sort of upgrade in performance over my current setup.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
        Last edited by Olly C; 08-06-2019, 16:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly C View Post
          (P.S. Your screenshot has your IP address in it that you may wish to hide.)
          Oops, edited.

Thank you for the reply! If you look at the quality/latency tests from my results they do appear to closely resemble a much healthier connection (as mentioned originally my results were like a wall of yellow above the min and ave latency). This is a massive change. I was moaning to a friend earlier this week about VM and he had said 'it's been resolved'. So has been a nice surprise.

I'm running the SH3 in modem mode with a Netgear X6 R8000 Router and pretty chuffed with performance. Indeed enough to move up to the 500/35 package.

It does look like the issue with the Intel Puma 6 has been resolved or massively reduce to all intent and purposes.

Comment

Speeds have increased dramatically it seems. BT now have a 900MB line for £60 a month????

I'm paying £60 for a 100Mb line and TV with Virgin. It was £30 as an introductory offer but that's over now and I never watch TV. I'm in one of their stupidly long queues to cancel/get a better deal but I'm just wondering what everyone else is using while I wait?

-edit-
            Got them to knock it down to £32 with the same package. It would have cost me more money to remove the phoneline and TV, neither of which I actually use. Oh well, next step is to do someting about the line quality upstairs.
            Last edited by Cepp; 23-09-2020, 09:42.

Comment

Working...
            X