No announcement yet.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one of the best things about CYE, quite often it's just the simple little lines that don't sound like jokes at all that are the funniest thing.

I'd say Richard Lewis is probably my favourite supporting character, but there are so many great ones it's tough to choose. Susie Green has to be up at the top of the list for her foul mouthed rants and Larry and Jeff! "You fat fu*k! And you bald piece of sh*t!"

Comment

I love the episode where the cake shop is closing so Larry buys Jeff their remaining stock. When Susie comes to the door she exclaims:

"As if he isn't fat enough already"

That had me rolling the first time I saw that episode.

Comment

susie's 'carwash c**t' (swearing restaurant ep) was something special, too. she just pulled that one straight out of thin air!

also krazy eyez killa's rap was apparently out of the blue as well, i think larry said he didn't know he had a rap on him (also the bubble wrap at the end was too much!)

Comment

When Krazy is showing him around his house is pure comedy, "we got some floor s*** over there, and some furniture s*** here". Complete pisstake of MTV Cribs and brilliantly done.

Comment

and the telly on the ceiling that would play scarface 24 hours a day

Comment

"i had a system..."

Comment

The only problem with Curb, is simply the fact that the Larry is brilliant and a joy to watch, but the other main actors ( His agent, wife, wife's friend, etc. ) aren't very good actors, don't have much charisma, and the actual characters are boring, with dull lines etc.....

It's still one of the best shows ever made, which is testament to how great Larry and the stories are.

A lot of the guest actors are good. Ted Danson, Richard Lewis, are two who stand-out as valuable additions.

There is no denying the fact, that I watch it, and always feel irritated by Larry's wife, and his agent, mostly. His wife is a dull unlikable character; his agent isn't a good actor. He isn't even the "Funny fat-guy stereotype" .. just boring, and is a really wasted opportunity in the role.

I get the impression that Larry loves the show revolving around him totally. Unlike Seinfeld, which had four strong characters, Curb has one great character and a bunch of quite weak ones to act as props.

Ultimately... it's the "Larry David Show" ... and the settings and characters are there to serve him totally, and it works in that respect.

It could be a different show. Even if the other main-characters were only a little bit more fleshed-out and charismatic, thing's would be a lot different, and maybe better. As things are, the show is still a brilliant creation.

Comment

I find the chemistry between Jeff and Larry to be almost always brilliant, and I find Jeff more funny than Ted Danson, whose segments always struck me as being slightly awkward (and not in an intended way).

Undoubtably the show revolves around Larry, and therefore the other characters are toned down to allow for him to stand out, but to say they are poor actors is grossly unfair in my book.

Comment

Larry is the main character because it's a show about his day to day life.

As much as dislike his wife she is needed to give Larry's character a point of reference. Without her his character just wouldn't work as well.

I'm not sure about the acting as such because much of it is played on the fly, people are mainly just being themselves. It's rough and ready as that's how people are in life. If it was polished much of the humour just wouldn't work as well.

Comment

i don't think we can accuse them of not being very good actors given the improvised nature of the program. reading lines is one thing, making them up as you go along is a wholly different ballgame.

i get the impression they must have been handpicked for their improvisational abilities, or else they really would get shown up when placed in scenes with the others.

it's like that terrorist one where larry's deciding whether to stay with cheryl or go and play golf. that whole bit was completely improvised (not even part of the story) and was borne out of the fact they didn't hear the guy should 'cut!' so just carried on talking.

Comment

my favourite line from the show was when larry walked into the bedroom and said to cheryl

"I have found the perfect pair of socks"

Comment

For the people who have absolutely no idea what we're all talking about:

Huge Vagina
                          Krazee-Eyes Killah
                          The C word
                          The Doctor's Phone
                          Swearing
                          She Told Me Not To Bother You
                          You Stole My Outgoing Message
                          I Never Sing Happy Birthday
                          The Chef Has Tourettes
                          Beloved Aunt
                          Larry Calls Irving Schwimmer

Comment

evolution, you're a star

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                              i don't think we can accuse them of not being very good actors given the improvised nature of the program. reading lines is one thing, making them up as you go along is a wholly different ballgame.

i get the impression they must have been handpicked for their improvisational abilities, or else they really would get shown up when placed in scenes with the others.

it's like that terrorist one where larry's deciding whether to stay with cheryl or go and play golf. that whole bit was completely improvised (not even part of the story) and was borne out of the fact they didn't hear the guy should 'cut!' so just carried on talking.
                              I wholeheartidly feel that *Jeff Garlin* isn't a good actor. He's the one that I pointed-out. The Cheryl character is played by a good actress.

Jeff seems too self-conscious. He also comes across as wooden, and whilst not unlikable, he doesn't justify his role as such an important character.

Cheryl comes across as a cold character. Far too cold in fact. Why the hell would Larry David marry and stay with a woman who treats him like he's her sad stupid brother, rather than the interesting, intelligent husband he is?

It may have seemed funny and interesting to make things this way between husband and wife, but it's never felt good to me. Cheryl seems like she's with Larry under duress, rather than compatibility.

Jeff lumbers around, like he's in a daze. I can't imagine why anyone would let him off the hook, and say he's a good actor, or even reasonable.

Ted Danson comes across as himself. That works. Richard Lewis is Larry's best friend on the show, and that works too.

When Martin Short turned-up briefly in one episode, I was excited, hoping he'd become someone who's an occasional character. Sadly not to be though.

Larry is the big star of the show; it's his show after all. I think it would have been even better if he had conceeded some of the limelight to some other good actors and characters; who'd make the mix even more interesting and exciting.

The fact that Larry's ego dominates, most of the other characters are pretty dull and somewhat wooden, but the show still succeeds, just proves how great the stories are, and how likeable and interesting Larry is as a person.

Not the perfect show Seinfeld is, but so close, I'd simply label them both "Brilliant"

Comment

This Sunday it airs in the States, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X