Gears Of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eastyy
    oh and when it comes to actually shooting enemies is it physics based with enemies flying backwards etc ? (like with call of duty)

or is it more quake like enemies die in pretty much the same way (with gibbing)
    I havent played it myself, but from the vids of seen id say its physics based.

Comment

It uses physics for the deaths its not scripted.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy!
        I have no doubt the visuals look great, but it's all going to come down to the movement and feel for me.

Is it smooth? Does the character feel really responsive?

Are there any framerate dips? Any glitches?

This game needs to feel silky smooth. I hope it does!
        Do not fear my friend Gears is more silky smooth than a new born babys skin, characters are very responsive and as for framerate dips and glitches...a big fat none (that i can tell anyway)..truely AWESOME stuff.

g.

Comment

Originally posted by glazza
          Do not fear my friend Gears is more silky smooth than a new born babys skin, characters are very responsive and as for framerate dips and glitches...a big fat none (that i can tell anyway)..truely AWESOME stuff.

g.
          You have me very excited .. I need this game!

Comment

No, even on Casual the enemies make good use of cover and flanking tactics.

As for how it plays, it is very smooth. No frame rate drops that I've discovered. Every button press and stick move is responsive, and it all feels very intuitive. It should only take about half an hour before you're perfectly at home with it.

Oh, and multiplayer is 4 on 4.

Comment

as somebody who suffers from bigtime motion sickness on most fps games the trailers of this have me concerned as there appears to be a lot of camera sway

anybody suffering from this yet and can the sway be turned off ?

Comment

Whenever I look at this game I'm reminded of Kill.Switch - which was ace IMHO, I liked a lot. Can someone that has played both, make a quick comparison? (cover mechanics, blind fire etc)

Comment

Gears of War

Arrived this afternoon and I had a few hours play. Well, it's pretty, really pretty. There aren't any huge vistas and everything is very contained, but for sheer visual fidelity it's pretty much in a league of it's own. I like the character design too, big and chunky and they suit the game. Animation is also very nicely done.

The gameplay so far has been quite simple and repetetive. Basically duck, shoot, duck, shoot, advance to next area. The game is set up on the Halo model of arena battle followed by a corridor to the next section, then another arena. That's fine if a little unambitious. It's worth mentioning the controls too, which are really easy to use and once you've learned them look very cool in action. Moving between cover is done supremely well.

The game runs pretty well by and large with none of the tearing seen in other U3 engine games like Splinter Cell. 30fps for gameplay and 20fps for cut scenes in general.

Unfortunately I can't get properly stuck into this until the weekend as I'm away from my own 360 so this will have to be it for now. Looks like a fun game but I'm not expecting it to change the world, and it's nowhere near as good as Halo 1 or 2. Just not as ambitious as a game. Stop and pop as Epic kept saying is very accurate.

Comment

wHOOAAaa!
                    The beauty of it!!!
                    Just started on teh hardcore but i''m getting proper mashed might have to go casual

Controls take a while to get used to but i'm loving it. The enemys react well when shot with various grunts and groans and the AI seems good so far with flanking, advancing movements that react with you. They seem to be steamrollering me on Hardcore.

So far so good. BTW it looks mighty purty.

Comment

Oh man. It?s good. It?s VERY good.

If watching the videos has given you any indication of what to expect from the game you will not be disappointed.

Visuals first - no matter how much you?ve seen of this game, seeing it running on the screen in front of you is still something to behold. It looks stunning.

I?ve watched the E3 footage a hundred times over and I still found myself soaking it all up, despite knowing what was coming. It really does look that good.

If anything I found it was best viewed on the games soft display option (and in 1080i for me) as it took away some of the harshness of the lighting and edges. Softening it also seemed to help the very slight judder of the cut scenes.

Does it look as good as the Mad World video? So far, yes it really does (although you only really get to appreciate the detail on the characters in the in engine cut scenes where you can see them up close).

One thing that did surprise me though is that one particular cut scene so far wasn?t in game. Considering what was happening at the time it was probably done to avoid the 360 melting, but I was too concerned at the action to start clicking my tongue at Epic. If anything when it flipped back to in engine stuff I actually preferred it and it made me appreciate it a bit more.

Make no bones about it, controlling Marcus will take some getting used to when you first play. He almost feels a bit magnetic to bits of the scenery at first, but after a while you?ll be roadie running, diving from cover, SWAT turning and leaping over walls like a pro. I suggest using the opening bit to get to grips with using cover ? you will need it. They?ve said all along to disregard cover = death and they weren?t kidding.

Marcus can?t take much damage and even playing it on Casual it was a challenge. So much so that it gave me a pasting on hardcore, hence me switching it back down to casual (yes I can hear you all going `pft! N00b!` ).

It might be the easiest mode but the Locust flank, regroup and take cover or even switch cover as you would expect. Almost everything you can do, so can they and there?s not been one fight yet where I?ve taken on a Locust who?s just been standing there waiting to get pegged.

And (no spoilers of course) but it soon becomes apparent that the Locust soldiers are the tip of the iceberg .The second set of monsters might very well be haunting your nightmares for some time to come

I?m only about two levels in, so to start screaming GOTY!!!11 would be really premature, but it really does feel like Resident Evil 4, albeit with a more severe emphasis on shooting.

I?ve just had the first boss fight and it was gripping stuff. Simple once you figured it out, but a fantastically done set piece (and yes I dare say it again) just like RE4?s.

It?s not all sweetness mind ? I did get stuck between a wall and a solider at one point which caused me to restart my checkpoint but thankfully that seemed to be a one that I couldn?t repeat. Plus there are so many checkpoint it didn?t take me back that far. But that?s a minor point so far and it overall feels very polished.

As I said, if you?ve seen anything of the game then you?ll know what to be expecting. Balls out action with macho space marines that?s really satisfying and rewarding to play.

Oh and Concept, it hasn?t done much in the way of story yet but it?s hinting at some deeper things. I don?t think it?s going to be as story driven as you?d like (there seems to be a decent plot driving it so far) but there does seem to have be a back story to it all too.

Comment

Originally posted by merf
                        as somebody who suffers from bigtime motion sickness on most fps games the trailers of this have me concerned as there appears to be a lot of camera sway

Sorry merf, this game won't be for you. There's no option to turn it off and they've gone all out for the war-cam style.

There's deliberate motion judder and swinging camera angles aplenty.

Comment

I seem to have problems dishing out first aid, anyone else having problems with it?

Comment

Originally posted by merf

Man, you're going to have a bitch of a time with this, as the camera is moving and bobbing all the time. Don't even try a roadie run.

And no, I don't believe it can be turned off. It's part of the visual asthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
                              I seem to have problems dishing out first aid, anyone else having problems with it?
                              Can't say I've been. You just walk up to them and press X.

Comment

Also can't believe yesterday that I didn't mention the chainsaw

No matter how many times you've seen the video's, you will remember the first time you cut through a Locust

Originally posted by Mad Gear
                                They seem to be steamrollering me on Hardcore.
                                Definitely - I tried hardcore again last night and couldn't get past the end of the first section (shown in the E3 presentation). I'd either end up running out of ammo or getting pinned down by the Locust and flanked. Even the AI for Dom was having trouble staying alive.

I wouldn't say that Casual is a push over either. Playing that mode I died a fair few times last night because the enemies were crack shots.

I think people are under the impression that Casual = Easy mode. I'd say it's more like:

Casual = Normal
                                Hardcore = Hard
                                Insane = ZOMG, please don't hurt me!

Experienced more clipping issues last night - this time with team mates getting jammed on objects. Thankfully you can steam on ahead without them and they teleport in behind you (which although a little atmosphere breaking, did stop me gnashing my teeth as I'd just completed a really hard section with no checkpoint).

Only on the second chapter but it is going from strength to strength - I'm really loving it. They've started to factor in other environmental elements now which is pretty cool and the graphics keep on getting better.

It does the whole destroyed city thing really well, and the game will certainly be a blast in co-op mode. There's already been quite a few places where you can split up.

What makes it are the nice little touches. The texture work on some of the area is insanely good - I actually said "Wow" at this amazing looking pillar last night

The exchanges and comments from the rest of the squad are also quite amusing and have made me laugh a couple of times. Having Terrible Terry Tate voicing Augustus Cole was a real stroke of genius. You can tell he's was having a real blast doing the recording.

*Spoiler time now - don't read if you don't want stuff seriously spoiled*

Chapter 1 spoilers -

how cool is that Berserker fight?

Chapter 2 spoilers -

One of bits that impressed me so far was when you end up at the surface dweller village before nightfall. Very atmospheric with the vagrants running for shelter and Baird's exchange with one of them was pretty cool.

Plus nightfall really mixes things up. They really aren't kidding when they say stay in the light. I thought I'd be able to make a break through a patch of darkness. How wrong I was

Those things are pretty nasty - certainly adds to the tension of firefights when you know if you put one step wrong you're mince meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X