Gears Of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatial, you aren't helping.

Have to say I've never actually said "wow" to a piller before. Next Gen gaming am here.

Tried multiplayer yet? I want to know more about the lobby system more than anything!

Comment

Been playing this for a while. The single player game is really solid, it's like Kill-Switch+RE4+UT=GOW. Some horrific bad guys and a storyline that doesn't take a 10 minute intro really add to the package. Not much I can add as to what's already been said.

Multiplayer is ****e though. I just don't get it. I'd been playing 4v4 matches and it becomes so repetitive. What gives? The way I see it is, 1 man cannot make a difference. The opposition were running around in a pack, getting close enough to swarm in and chainsaw you. I swear it, you will be frigggin sick to death of the noise and the animation sequence very fast. Actually went back to COD3 online.

Single player - awesome
      Online - may take time

Comment

Originally posted by merf
        as somebody who suffers from bigtime motion sickness on most fps games the trailers of this have me concerned as there appears to be a lot of camera sway

anybody suffering from this yet and can the sway be turned off ?
        i too suffer from sickness on FPS single player games.. Multi im fine (WTF?)
        ive been told travel sickness pills can help you with this so im going to pick some up today and try them playing fear or prey. Will let you know how i get on :P

Comment

just played about an hour of it

THOROUGHLY EXCELLENT

everything i was expecting

i'm hoping there will be ntsc-uk peeps on tonight for online fun

Comment

I?ve looked around for the answer to this question, but no one seems to know yet.

Can you play the online multi player with 2players on one console?

I used to have a lot of fun with me and my pal Vs my friend and his pal on Halo2.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
              Spatial, you aren't helping.

Have to say I've never actually said "wow" to a piller before. Next Gen gaming am here.
              Forget the pillar, I've just got to the level that was shown during X05 - you know, the one with the rain?

SWEET. JESUS. CHRIST.

It looks sooooooooo good.

Remember when you played RE4 and it was raining? Remember how good it looked and how atmospheric it felt? Multiply that by the power of next gen and it will blow you out of your seat.

Originally posted by PeteJ
              Tried multiplayer yet?
              Not yet as I haven't been able to tear myself away from single player. But I'm with Chopemon - might be up for some multiplayer this evening if there's enough people about.

Co-op will be outstanding though. I'm waiting until I finish the main campaign to tackle that, but you can see the potential in the levels. It'll be nice to have a human controlling Dom - he's not very subservient and keeps rushing ahead when all I want to do is soak up the atmos

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
                Not yet as I haven't been able to tear myself away from single player. But I'm with Chopemon - might be up for some multiplayer this evening if there's enough people about.
                excellent

i tried a quick split screen 1 on 1 warzone and life does not get any better than chainsawing and stomping the guy sitting next to you

Comment

How does the co-op work on this?

Is it split screen or over Live?
                  Can you play the main compaign or are you sidelined?

Comment

Co-op can be two players over Live or split screen on one console.

Its the main campaign and at various points you can split up and take different routes throughout the levels

Comment

i've just recruited a friend to come over tonight and blast through some coop. i'm hoping he'll be up for tagging in and out of online versus as well

we just dabbled with the coop at work and it works so well

using one person to draw the attention of the troika guns and the other going round the back and chainsawing the **** out of them

Comment

Its the main campaign and at various points you can split up and take different routes throughout the levels
                        Now *that* is soooooooooooooo cool.

Comment

I'm replying to this from the link Spatial provided in the Gears of War Headlines thread, so apologies if I'm interrupting anything or ignoring posts. Until Friday I'm not reading this thread.

Oh man. It?s good. It?s VERY good.

If watching the videos has given you any indication of what to expect from the game you will not be disappointed.

Visuals first - no matter how much you?ve seen of this game, seeing it running on the screen in front of you is still something to behold. It looks stunning.

I?ve watched the E3 footage a hundred times over and I still found myself soaking it all up, despite knowing what was coming. It really does look that good.

If anything I found it was best viewed on the games soft display option (and in 1080i for me) as it took away some of the harshness of the lighting and edges. Softening it also seemed to help the very slight judder of the cut scenes.

Does it look as good as the Mad World video? So far, yes it really does (although you only really get to appreciate the detail on the characters in the in engine cut scenes where you can see them up close).

One thing that did surprise me though is that one particular cut scene so far wasn?t in game. Considering what was happening at the time it was probably done to avoid the 360 melting, but I was too concerned at the action to start clicking my tongue at Epic. If anything when it flipped back to in engine stuff I actually preferred it and it made me appreciate it a bit more.

Make no bones about it, controlling Marcus will take some getting used to when you first play. He almost feels a bit magnetic to bits of the scenery at first, but after a while you?ll be roadie running, diving from cover, SWAT turning and leaping over walls like a pro. I suggest using the opening bit to get to grips with using cover ? you will need it. They?ve said all along to disregard cover = death and they weren?t kidding.

Marcus can?t take much damage and even playing it on Casual it was a challenge. So much so that it gave me a pasting on hardcore, hence me switching it back down to casual (yes I can hear you all going `pft! N00b!` ).

It might be the easiest mode but the Locust flank, regroup and take cover or even switch cover as you would expect. Almost everything you can do, so can they and there?s not been one fight yet where I?ve taken on a Locust who?s just been standing there waiting to get pegged.

And (no spoilers of course) but it soon becomes apparent that the Locust soldiers are the tip of the iceberg .The second set of monsters might very well be haunting your nightmares for some time to come

I?m only about two levels in, so to start screaming GOTY!!!11 would be really premature, but it really does feel like Resident Evil 4, albeit with a more severe emphasis on shooting.

I?ve just had the first boss fight and it was gripping stuff. Simple once you figured it out, but a fantastically done set piece (and yes I dare say it again) just like RE4?s.

It?s not all sweetness mind ? I did get stuck between a wall and a solider at one point which caused me to restart my checkpoint but thankfully that seemed to be a one that I couldn?t repeat. Plus there are so many checkpoint it didn?t take me back that far. But that?s a minor point so far and it overall feels very polished.

As I said, if you?ve seen anything of the game then you?ll know what to be expecting. Balls out action with macho space marines that?s really satisfying and rewarding to play.

Oh and Concept, it hasn?t done much in the way of story yet but it?s hinting at some deeper things. I don?t think it?s going to be as story driven as you?d like (there seems to be a decent plot driving it so far) but there does seem to have be a back story to it all too.
                          Superb write-up.

Tells me the kind of things I want to know without spoiling anything.

I think I'm going to try and go through all three difficulty levels in order (I eventually went through all of them in Halo) now you've mentioned repetitive get-shot-and-die syndrome. At heart, and until I get my head properly wrapped around a system, I'm an average gamer. I also hate repetition in cinematic single-player games - redoing parts in certain titles can work to their benefit but I often feel to keep an evolving atmosphere and a sense of progression, games which create a high sense of involvement benefit from continuation.

I'm glad of the RE4 comparisons. I might have been critical of its cartoon narrative on release (without wanting to sound patronising, now I think its cheesiness is endearing), but you couldn't fault its technical, artistic elegance and superbly designed set-pieces, both in terms of level and boss battle design. If GoW gets anywhere near that level of excellence I'll be a happy bunny.

I'm glad to hear things aren't quite as disappointing as some of the early US reviews have made out on the story front. I'm not looking for everything to be explained to me - I just wouldn't mind the sense that GoW's world is developed and has been thought out, even if we have to wait for later titles to reveal more.

Only a week to go.

Lucky I have CoD 3 to tide me over.

Comment

Got this today and it just pure sucks!

Yeah riiiiiiiiiiight! What a game, look absolutely gorgeous and plays like a dream! I am playing on hardcore and have died a few time already on act 1, you are required to attack and take cover thoughtfully cos if you just go all out you WILL die! The enemy AI is very very good, they attack and take cover just like their lives depended on it! This is truly next gen! Oh and the chainsaw....*drool*

Comment

All i can say is **** ME this game rocks, while playing through the first level wasnt to keen couldnt get to grips with the running and covering mechanics but now that has sunk in WOW, and the chainsaw Act 1 complete
                              Last edited by Crimson Day; 10-11-2006, 15:35.

Comment

Just played some Co-op with EvilBoris - it's excellent stuff, very addictive and an excellent laugh.

Tag team

chainsawing

for teh win!!

In fact I'd say its the reason Hardcore was put in the game - it's much more manageable than with the AI controlling Dom or the rest of the squad and I could see Casual in Co-op being a walk over.

The different paths is a cracking addition too. Only happened once in the level but it's cool to split up, see the other person fighting above or alongside you, and then meeting back up again.

Comment

Working...
                                X