Gears Of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears Of War

My friends, hype gets thrown around these days like it was candy, and most of the time it ends up being so much smoke and mirrors. Not this time. I just got done with my first mission on Gears Of War, and it is seriously one of the most games I've played in so so long. Visually it is STUNNING, the sound effects are spot on, I think there's music in there somewhere, and the gameplay is TIGHT. I am slamming and hoping and dashing through throngs of enemies, and it feels so right. I never quite got what Cliffy B meant when he said that it was designed to be like a platformer. Now I do. You are constantly looking for columns and stone blocks and walls to cover behind before you unload all holy hell on the enemy. Just amazing!

Anyway, I gotta get back to it. I see a Locust drone that needs a good curbstomping. Later, lads!

Any framerate, v-sync, tearing or lag problems. No?

Good. Now, nobody else ask the question. Ta.

Comment

This i ask about all fps games

does the combat feel right? (as in when you shoot enemies do they react or do they just carry on?)

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy

does the combat feel right? (as in when you shoot enemies do they react or do they just carry on?)
        Watching this being played yesterday m8 and can tell you that the enemies they will run duck behind cover and even jump out from there cover to find another cover spot to shoot from they deffo dont stay in one place.

Comment

Have you been online with it yet?
          Last edited by VR46; 08-11-2006, 09:35.

Comment

I Played this a few weeks ago at the 360 UK games tour, but only had a bash at the multiplayer 4v4. I agree that graphics are excellent, no problems there (although we were on samsung LCD's ) Controls feel smooth and easy to get a hang of, considering it took me about 2 minutes of play before i was jumping from cover to cover sawing people in half, throwing smoke grenades and blasting heads off with the shotgun
            Audio is very interesting, the sounds are great! Like the squelching sound when you do a curb stomp, and you can hear the rust on your chainsaw when you rev it up, and the frag grenades echo depending on surroundings and so on... its amazing!

you need this game

Comment

Keep posts relevant to "First Play" please.

Use the thread in Headlines for shipping/other Gears chat. Thanks.

Oh and be thoughtful of others when posting spoilers. Cheers.

Comment

Cheers JRM, good to get a hands on view from someone in the forum, keep the updates coming.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy

First, this isn't an FPS (for the most part).

Second, yes, the Locust react really believably. They dive for cover, perform flanking moves, and use all the weapons at their disposal to kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                    First, this isn't an FPS (for the most part).

Second, yes, the Locust react really believably. They dive for cover, perform flanking moves, and use all the weapons at their disposal to kill you.
                    on what difficulty level are you playing? i've read in a review that sometimes they just stand in the open waiting to get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli
                      on what difficulty level are you playing? i've read in a review that sometimes they just stand in the open waiting to get shot.

From what i hear it best played on the harder settings a la Legendary. What you say JR?

Comment

I dunno if Ive missed this somewhere but regarding co-op over XBL, is it 2 player only or does it support 4 players?

Either way cheers JRM good to hear its the real deal.

Comment

2 player drop-in drop-out ai picks up when you do !

Comment

I have no doubt the visuals look great, but it's all going to come down to the movement and feel for me.

Is it smooth? Does the character feel really responsive?

Are there any framerate dips? Any glitches?

This game needs to feel silky smooth. I hope it does!

Comment

oh and when it comes to actually shooting enemies is it physics based with enemies flying backwards etc ? (like with call of duty)

or is it more quake like enemies die in pretty much the same way (with gibbing)

Comment

Working...
                              X