• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called The Promised Land apparently.

Comment

We're finally going to Fuchal!

Comment

Would have been a good place to wrap up the show for good.

Comment

It'll definitely be a huge shame if they get this many second chances and never give it an ending

Comment

I thought the idea was that there would never be an end to it?

Comment

Everything ends. The choice is simply whether you want to dictate how it plays out or not.

Comment

The poster:

Comment

On in 5 days

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    On in 5 days

Nice. looking forward to this.

Comment

Someone remind me on Thursday, please.

Comment

Had its moments but as expected the feature length format proved the key issue. They really need to just stick to the standard episodic format because they'd been on a genuine good path

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Had its moments but as expected the feature length format proved the key issue. They really need to just stick to the standard episodic format because they'd been on a genuine good path
                          The problem for me was the supporting cast. Their acting was awful IMO. The main boss of the cats was good but everyone else was awful.

Comment

I watched this today. It was like an old blanket. Familiar, comforting, a bit ragged around the edges and not all that funny. It had a few laughs but nowhere near enough. I agree that the format didn't help. It was long and drawn out. I didn't have a problem with the supporting cast other than they weren't really used. I've seen that main cat follower guy in another thing and he was a funny guy but he had pretty much nothing to do in this. And I kind of felt like Norman Lovett has lost Holly somehow. It looked like him but, for some reason, just felt off.

But I did enjoy watching it. It's not like it was terrible. It was good to have them back yet again and it had a few good moments.

Comment

I've still never watched any of these newer Red Dwarf seasons. I watched that feature-length one they did where they brought back the despair squid; it had no laugh track and was really quite awful. Did the newer stuff eventually find its groove?

Comment

The previous special Back to Earth was definitely the shows lowest point. There are a few decent scenes in it (I like the scene with Lister mourning Kochanski and also the one with the geek shop owner) but yeah, it's main success was getting more greenlit.

Red Dwarf X was a bit of a mixed bag, everyone seems to struggle to find their characters again in it and the scripts are very up and down. Red Dwarf XI is a marked improvement, like they learned a lot from the previous run and made a determined effort to get it back to something like it was in the III-VI era. Red Dwarf XII is very similar as they were filmed back to back but because everyone was in a rolling groove it feels more solid overall. It left things really well placed for more but instead we got another long gap until this special which will effectively be XIII just like BTE is IX.

It's definitely just okay for this one, Charles seems to have a handle on Lister again. Holly's definitely off and so is Rimmer too, they need to sort out the budget Kryten costume they've been running for a few series too. I know commissioning the show is a big push for Dave but hopefully they have it in them to keep it going a little longer just so it can have a proper send off at the least. At this point another 12 ep commission would get them to a final run for XIV and XV and be able to plan a proper wrap up on it on a high which would be a great run as with 3-4 years between each Dave commission it's already been on the air on the channel as many years as it was on BBC2.

I might try giving the show a Who style rewatch. Plus - it's definitely time Holly reverted back to Hattie again

Comment

Working...
                                X