No announcement yet.

Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still hoping Doug and Rob can finally patch up there differences and write a episode or two together

Someone once said that Two good writers who work together make for a writer better than both of them

With the recent special and some of the other episodes i think that really let it down is ....some of the secondary characters the acting is often pretty bad

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
      With the recent special and some of the other episodes i think that really let it down is ....some of the secondary characters the acting is often pretty bad
      I agree 100%. The supporting cast in this one right from the begin were awful. Terrible acting. That's what really put me off this one.

Comment

Red Dwarf writer finally answers big question about Rimmer (Chris Barrie) and his status in the sci-fi sitcom.

He won't say how but out of all the incarnations of Rimmer, Naylro confirms that the current one is the original version of the hologram returned to the crew. Apparently The Promised Land manage to top 1m viewers for Dave which is a solid hold on where XI and XII with Naylor sounding like he's still open to wanting Dave to commission more.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...-which-rimmer/
          He won't say how but out of all the incarnations of Rimmer, Naylro confirms that the current one is the original version of the hologram returned to the crew. Apparently The Promised Land manage to top 1m viewers for Dave which is a solid hold on where XI and XII with Naylor sounding like he's still open to wanting Dave to commission more.
          Well, I hope they do but for the love of God, get some better supporting cast actors.

Comment

I don't own any Blu-Rays or DVDs anymore but it's really put it in my head that I should get the Blu-Rays of all the Dwarf's, whilst there's still physical media to ensure it's always available to rewatch

Comment

Yeah. I have a set of the DVDs up to the end of the BBC run (season 8 maybe?) but none of the Dave ones. I have been tempted and looked a few times but it's hard to push the button when you combine the prices of the individual seasons on blu ray.

Comment

Chris Barrie suggests more of the show will come but his preference is (sadly) another special rather than a series XIV

According to Doug Naylor, there's a willingness from UKTV and the producers to make more episodes of the sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf, which screens on Dave.

And Naylor also feels more will come

Comment

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...odes-specials/
                  Chris Barrie suggests more of the show will come but his preference is (sadly) another special rather than a series XIV

According to Doug Naylor, there's a willingness from UKTV and the producers to make more episodes of the sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf, which screens on Dave.

And Naylor also feels more will come
                  More is great news. I've been doing a Red Dwarf binge watch over the past few weeks. Watched everything on DVD sets 1 to 9 so far. Just waiting for series 10,11,12 and that special to arrive on BluRay from the UK to finish off the marathon.

Comment

RED Dwarf will return for more specials after The Promised Land success, Craig Charles has revealed. The hit sci-fi comedy delighted fans earlier this year when the Dave channel aired a new 90 minu…

It's The Sun (urgh) but as it's based on a televised interview... Craig Charles has suggested the Red Dwarf will stick to the 90min special format in future (sadly) and were it not for COVID they would have filmed a second special by now that is waiting for COVID to cease as a concern

Comment

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/13614419...craig-charles/
                      It's The Sun (urgh) but as it's based on a televised interview... Craig Charles has suggested the Red Dwarf will stick to the 90min special format in future (sadly) and were it not for COVID they would have filmed a second special by now that is waiting for COVID to cease as a concern
                      As long as the get a good supporting cast (If they need one) then it should be fine. The last supporting cast was bloody awful and ruined the show. Well, except for Ray Fearon. He was very good.

Comment

Introduced someone at work to Dwarf and it's gone down an absolute storm, it's sparked rewatches on several fronts and with it having been years since I saw most of the seasons figured it'd be a good bit of fun to revisit it from the beginning ala Who:

The Beginning
                        "He's dead, they're dead, everybody is dead, everybody is dead Dave"
                        Exactly as I remember likely because the episode is so heavy on set up for the show. As much as Lister and Rimmer are antagonistic to each other it's still interesting to see how much more raw and spiteful they are at the start of the show than later on when it softens a little.

Future Echoes
                        "Goodnight weary traveller rest you head, for just like me you're utterly dead"
                        I forgot that this was as immediate as being the second episode which is kind of ballsy and great because it makes an early example of how the show isn't going to just rely on sitting around the bunks sniping at each other. It's a simple premise and the humour and delivery is absolutely on point.

The Balance of Power
                        "Is that picture yours? It's rubbish". "It's a mirror..."
                        This is more like I would have imagined the second episode being, part of me wonders if it was originally intended to be it as several of the ideas feel like they're born out of details in the first episode. Same for the humour and jokes which contain some gems but are more in line with the first ep too.

Comment

Waiting for God
                          "If you're God, why that face?"
                          This one is also in line with the other character episodes, likely because it's so focused on explaining the situation around Cat even if Cat himself isn't very involved. It's kind of amazing that the strands this episode set up aren't followed up until over three decades later. There are some good moments with Lister and Rimmer about the salvaged pod but overall Future Echoes remains the star of the show in series one so far.

Comment

It's kind of amazing that the strands this episode set up aren't followed up until over three decades later.
                            Seems to be a Red Dwarf thing that they're fine just abandoning storylines. I guess it's a comedy first and foremost and some of the plot stuff doesn't hugely matter but it is interesting how much they just leave hanging sometimes.

Comment

Yep, they're very lapse about caring about arcs but at the same time do spend time on it as well. There are so many contradictions and plot holes but sometimes they'll make time to focus on exploring or explaining something so it never seems committed to one approach or the other. They should just stick to either the fast scrolling text approach of series 3 or the in-joke method the later series use to series 8's ending where the joke is centred on not explaining it. My mind immediately goes to that really stilted scene at the opening of series 7 with Lister talking to the camera trying to explain and undo series 6 ending.

Comment

Future Echoes remains the star of the show in series one so far.
                                Future Echoes is one of the best episodes altogether, so much so that I think they revisit the concept twice, but neither of them hold a candle to the first.

I think it's because Red Dwarf, being a sitcom, features a lot of interplay between the characters; but that's just sitcom stuff. You could do that anywhere. Many of those things would work if, maybe, Rimmer and Lister were two disgruntled conscripts in M*A*S*H*. But Future Echoes (1) weaves the sci-fi into the character interplay in a unique way, while (2) also explaining why Lister doesn't just go back into stasis while the Dwarf and Holly spend another million years looking for Earth. It's fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X