Resistance: Fall of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by in5ane View Post
    Halo was distinctly average for anyone who had a PC at the same time, Resistance is well above average by todays standards.
    that's not Halo's fault though. it's AI routines and the intensity and drama of the fighting is still unmatched. well, at least this is true for the tougher difficulty settings.

Originally posted by in5ane View Post
    Unfortunately, you really need to play it for quite some time to fully appreciate it.
    agree, this goes for a lot of great games, even Halo

Comment

I played this alot when my mate lent me his ps3, it is a very very good fps i was goes as far as to say its the best fps on any platform since hl2. It feels right it feels very polished and online plays great and is easy to get into games with.

Comment

The online side of this game is worth the purchase alone, the bonus being it has a very good single player game as well!

Comment

My fav line from the game
          "If it doesnt wear shoes, shoot it"!

Comment

After a bit of a slow start I have to say I'm really, really enjoying this. By the time you get to Grimsby (3rd level I think) it picks up immensely in terms of atmosphere, imagery and sound. Visually I love how there are lots of little things put in like severing the Chimera's pack tubes with massive damage, and the steam that pumps out.

It's also lovely and dark in tone - one of the files where it said the infected

chewed the veins out of their own arms so they could bleed to death instead of become Chimeran slaves

is good example. Hopefully the rest of the game will carry on in this vein (ho-ho!).

As a first person shooter it's not too bad either. It's not going to set the world alight but it does what it does very well. The controls are responsive, the enemies clever enough to give you a challenge and there's some pretty cool weapons so far.

I'm loving the Hedgehog grenade an obscene amount, but they really should have made it so it stuck enemies in place as that would have been satisfying.

The big question for me going in to this was about the lack of rumble but I haven't missed it so far. It would be nice to have some recoil feedback off the gun but it's not until I've stopped to think about it that I've noticed it's not there. Not everyone might be able to switch off from this but I'm usually too involved with what's happening on-screen.

Comment

HA HA HA!

Skill points. So the achievement doppleganger is here. What exactly is the point of having it if it is not tied to your main account though?

Having only played the first couple of levels I'm pretty underwhelmed but I'm sure it will heat up once I get a little better at it and it gets a bit more demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Blair View Post
                HA HA HA!

Skill points. So the achievement doppleganger is here. What exactly is the point of having it if it is not tied to your main account though?

Having only played the first couple of levels I'm pretty underwhelmed but I'm sure it will heat up once I get a little better at it and it gets a bit more demanding.
                Skill points were in all the ratchets, so it was inevitable that the system was carried on in resistance.

And keep with it, its a really good game.

Comment

The skill points were in Insomniac's Spyro games long before the Ratchets too.

Comment

The most visually impressive part of the game so far for me is the Manchester Cathederal level - I'm really liking all the particle effect stuff going on too. For the most part I'm enjoying this game - the fire-fights can be very intense, but I'm not keen on some of the level design. There have been a number of points where I'm not exactly sure where I'm suppose to heading on a map - there is not a lot in the way of direction pointing in the game. And the the flood is really annoying, er, I mean those mini crab things, and it's far too easy to change weapon without wanting to.

Overall though it's a sold FPS, I'm now at the "A Disturbing Discovery" level in Somerset, just after the first vehicle one.

Comment

I agree with Keith when he said earlier that there are some real `end of the world` style moments. Some of it does feel like HL2's City 17-extended in terms of atmosphere.

In Manchester the bit with the children's play park is a real stand out moment for me. It's just the whole setting - surrounded by the countless ruined buildings, the park's tattered climbing frames and roundabouts give an eerie empty feeling, like everyone really is gone. It all blends with the faint hazy sky, billowing smoke in the distance and the sounds of distant helicopters and an alien rumbling, to make it work superbly.

It was during Manchester that it struck me how much this feels like a take on the War of the Worlds - after a while the Chimera guns even begin to sound like the 1950's film version of the heat ray.

This game doesn't get it totally right (for example after being bombarded with checkpoints, the one at the start of Manchester is a bastard to get too) but it's moments like those above that keep me coming back to this and elevating it above the norm.
                      Last edited by Spatial; 13-01-2007, 13:53.

Comment

Gotten stuck now - the difficulty has just ramped up to silly levels. The "Burning Bridges" level I get wasted everytime. I can destroy the two walkers, but the Widowmaker just keeps taking me out 30 seconds after it appears. Tried well over 10 times now.

Difficulty spikes suck ass.

Edit - managed to do it on my 14th attempt. Definitely not easy.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 13-01-2007, 16:46.

Comment

Online is pretty ace i have played it non stop the past few days, im up to a pretty high level now over a thousand kills and i have only had the game two days.

Comment

Well you were all quite right, single player gets much much better. I am really really enjoying this much more than I thought I would. In fact, I love it! It gets nice and hectic when you are dropped into a warzone.

As for multiplayer it is also very good but I need a bit of practice, does anyone fancy starting an NTSC clan?

Comment

Speaking of the skill points, I really couldn't help but laugh at the one called "Why are the candles screaming?" >_<

Some of names would make brilliant Achievement titles, just like "My Love For You Is Like a Truck" in Gears.

Comment

"In one ear, out the other" is my favourite skill point name so far.

Loving this now, it's really got that "thing" that makes you want to play through the whole thing in one sitting. Had a quick blast online as well, and I was amazed that in a 40player game, I neither experienced nor saw anyone else experience any lag! Definitely have to get an NTSC clan (or even just a game) together.

Comment

Working...
                                X