Resistance: Fall of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keith View Post
    Definitely have to get an NTSC clan (or even just a game) together.
    I will be cracking some online skulls at this later on so will wang you an invite and for anyone else I see playing!

Comment

Bloody Hell Insomniac, what have you done to your own game?

When Marty posted about the difficulty spikes earlier I was prepared for some discomfort, but Jesus wept some parts of this game have had me inventing new swear words and sending my blood pressure through the roof over the past few days.

All of a sudden the Chimera become crack shots, even with the Bullseye (and don't get me started on the sodding Auger), there's bottlenecks galore and it turns into an exercise in frustration. Being stuck on the same part between checkpoints for upwards of 45 minutes at a time is not my idea of fun.

And the Widowmaker... Garghhhhhh!

Can't understand why they ramped the difficulty to stupid levels like this, given that it was all flowing along very well (and length isn't an issue since it's one of the longest console FPS I've played).
      Last edited by Spatial; 21-01-2007, 17:05.

Comment

Anyone having problems getting online with this lately? It wouldn't connect me the other night and it's no letting me now either

Comment

just got this and it seems quite good.
          Very old-school in places,and it really does remind me of half-life.
          It does seem a little unsophisticated in places,but then the current batch of 360 shooters have really in my opinion,started to redefine what is capable in the FPS genre.
          I've only done some of the first level and the graphics haven't impressed me that much,it looks like COD3 to me.
          Do the graphics imporove on later levels?
          Framerate has been smooth though-which is nice.
          Im looking forward to getting stuck into this at the weekend.

Comment

Dont judge it till you get to Manchester as the graphics are dire until then, then you go wtf and oh my god etc... as it becomes stunning

Comment

Recieved my full copy of this today, wasn't all to impressed with the demo hence I wasn't expecting anything great. Played it for about an hour and can say I liked what I played. The graphics are not anything mind blowing but are pretty good for a first gen PS3 game, if I was to compare looks with something on the 360 I would say it is on the level of Call of Duty 2. Graphics don't make a game though, it's the gameplay and Resistance plays very well, for an FPS using a Playstation pad the controls are quite tight. I have only come across 2 weapons so far, the standard rifle and the Chimera Bullseye, of which the latter is brilliant. I like the way you can tag an enemy say in the head and then pummel bullets into him, very satisfying! I have been playing on medium and have died a few times already though, don't know if it's just me but the enemies seem to be very accurate and clever in their cover and fire tactics. Haven't tried the online yet but certainly will give that a try in the upcoming days! Not a bad start for an FPS on the PS3, not bad at all!
              Last edited by ezee ryder; 17-04-2007, 18:46.

Comment

Nearly finished this, 1 level to go infact, but I am wondering where abouts these so called 'difficulty spikes' are? There's been a few tricky moments but they often only come about if you're approaching something wrong. Take the first Thames level with the two walkers and the Widowmaker for instance. I probably died about 5-6 times on this at first, but if you take the left building first and grab the rockets there's still some rockets on the right building and further up the street to use. Hide out of sight then use your team mates as a decoy until you get a chance to hit the walkers from behind, don't go wasting more than 1 rocket each on them as 1 + some carbine fire is enough to take them down. By the time the Widowmaker comes you've got about 6 rockets to use on it, more than enough

I will complain about the length between checkpoints later on in the game though, there were a handful of times where I died and had to start again from a much further back posistion than I expected. Overall a surprisingly good game. When Playstation FPS's have been praised in the past it's often because the machine was so starved of great FPS's that if anything half decent turned up it got overrated (see - Killzone, MOH:Frontline, etc) but this is actually as good as anything on the 360 in my opinion in terms of FPS's, both offline and on.

Comment

Enough is enough. I spent most of this morning running through the official website for this hoping to stumble across the passwords for the locked content... now enjoyable as it was (Very much so, in fact) I ran through every single point in the timeline, uncovered each secret (Lit all the lights) and still no damn password. What gives?

Don't suppose there's any clues in the game? Or should I just read the manual? Or am I being spectacularly stupid and missing something obvious?

EDIT: Just been brought to my attention that this might be a bit vague. So:

Explore the new generation PlayStation 4 and PS5 consoles - experience immersive gaming with thousands of hit games in every genre to rewrite the rules for what a PlayStation console can do.

The red dots.
                  Last edited by Number45; 07-02-2007, 21:15.

Comment

Yep, I thought I'd lose everyone with that. Never mind, I'll find out.

Anyhoo:

Played some Resistance finally (Just up until after the tank bit) and I'm actually more impressed than I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong, it's Insomniac and I love them, but I thought I'd instantly hate playing an FPS with the SIXAXIS in much the same way I almost instantly hated playing them on DUAL SHOCK 2... but for some weird ass ****ing reason it seems to work.

I don't know if it's down to the developer or the fact that the controller is actually a little better than the DUAL SHOCK in terms of analogue responsiveness, but it feels very natural immediately and I personally am more than a little excited at the prospect of more FPS games hitting the system than found their way to PS2 (I feel a whole lot less nervous about HL2 now, for instance).

The weapons, or at least the two I've fired so far, are very meaty without feeling too powerful, but then I should expect nothing less from the R&C developers.

Not too much to say on the AI as yet, as I'm only a little way into the game, but the Chimera are frighteningly accurate with their weapons (And do an excellent job of 'leading' you if you're using basic lateral movement for avoidance). They also don't seem to pop out too obviously waiting to be shot, though I've not witnessed any real intelligence in terms of flanking etc... just yet.

Also loving the little bits of intel you pick up. They add a lot to the game (And carry on what I saw on the website) and it's also nice to see some justification for health packs!

I like the way their 'pipes' on their back detach and swirl around when you take them down too. Little touches like that really make a game.

The skill points make their way over from the R&C series too, so I'm hoping for some nice rewards/unlockables on the back of that.

Finally on the positives, it looks lovely, the scenery has a good selection of destructible cover (Highlighted in the tank section) and the framerate has been 100% rock solid so far.

The only negative I can think of now is the grenade aiming seems a little light (By which I mean you seem to throw several hundred yards by default) and it feels a bit weird having to reach for the circle button to use them.

All in all very impressed and looking forward to finding out more of what's going on in this alternate reality.

Comment

No45 I see what you mean about the red dots, I have played through this (and loved it from level 2 till the very end) and do not have a scooby about those passwords!
                      However, there is a damn good secret waiting for you once you finish the campaign, even though I didn't get that many skill points

Comment

The online side of the game is where most of my time is spent on this game. The servers are really filling up now, I am having more and more 35+ player deathmatches, perhaps due to another month worth of sales under it's belt or people simply migrating online after completing the single player game.
                        I have only won 4 matches but still loving the experience! Online battles really hone your grenade throwing skills!

Comment

Just finished it The last area was probably the hardest in the game but I found a great strategy in the end so feel free to ask if anyone else struggles like I did on it

Overall a very impressive game, must better than I expected. Looking forward to spending some time with the online portion of the game as I've really enjoyed it from what I've played so far.

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                          The only negative I can think of now is the grenade aiming seems a little light (By which I mean you seem to throw several hundred yards by default) and it feels a bit weird having to reach for the circle button to use them.
                          Do what I did and put grenades on L1. In all honesty I pretty much changed all the controls.

L1 - Grenade
                          L2 - Crouch
                          R1 - Secondary Fire
                          R2 - Primary Fire
                          X - Jump
                          [ ] - Reload
                          O - Melee
                          /\ - change weapon

Comment

Ive been boosting through this for the last couple of days and its a great great game .

It reminds me so much of the original Halo I get the same feeling playing this as I did when I first played that.

For a launch title this is

Comment

what do i do in Nottingham (stuck in the tunnels) -

Just seen that tunneling machine go past me and not sure where to go now

any help appreciated

Comment

If it's the bit I'm thinking of it's a case of

turning left into the tunnel it created and just following it along into the next area

Comment

Working...
                                X