Resistance: Fall of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistance: Fall of Man

Yes well I have played this game now for several hours. Single player is good but don't expect much of the story. They could've done more there I think, but still it's plays very well even with the PS3 controller and the AI is pretty good, even on the easy setting.

Multiplayer is where this game really shines. There are no loading times in between deatmatches and it's very hard to put the controller down. Maps are well designed and the weapons are very cool. I really like this game and it's my favourite launch game. It's actually better then COD2 on 360 in my opinion. You see even if this game wouldn't be the best thing ever in it's genre, it's a first generation title. I don't even want to know what the PS3 will be capable of in a year or 2-3 when developers have more time and get more out of the PS3's graphical power. It looks great, it plays great and online multiplayer is very promising for future FPS titles. The xbox is not the only console to be on when it comes to the genre, Resistance already proved that. Buy it, you won't be dissapointed.

I find huge numbers playing deathmatch or CTF is just too anarchic
    the other thing that hurts resistnace is the spawn points - they don't drop you anywhere safe. In some cases, you basically get dropped right in the thick of things and end up sucking bullets before you've even moved

Comment

Resistance Online

Been playing this for the past half hour online......first impressions, eh its a bit ****.

I am a massive FPS fan and came in with no real expectations but as a online shooter it really does not cut the mustard in any way shape or form. With each and every match im feel im taking a massive step backwards in terms of what im used to with Xbox live, the differences are very alarming. No ingame voice, the lobby is visually bland with the only form of life being text chat, text chat? WTF is that!! Online play is all about the banter and chat and it might as well be AI opponents.

Gameplay wise it plays like a bit like halo 2 with Call of Duty Visuals, that description sounds good but it comes nowhere near to Halo 2 and only just surpasses call of Duty visuals. I can see it being a little fun for a quick blast on deathmatch but i can only see myself playing the single player.

Comment

Originally posted by tigger
        I can see it being a little fun for a quick blast on deathmatch but i can only see myself playing the single player.
        I think you've come into this game expecting the wrong things- I thought this game was primarily and a story driven single player game, with online tacked on afterwards. You'd be mad not to play the SP part.

Comment

Originally posted by themanwithapc
          Yeah, people who've stuck by it say it gets much better after the initial few hours in SP.

Not read too much on the MP (mainly cause it doesn't interest me).
          Seeing as i only have this and RR7 gamewise, i will deffo persist with SP at the weekend. SP has been better for me although it still fells a bit light.

As far as my online first impressions maybe i have been spoiled with Live. Live imho has made online play just as important as single player. Its weird cos i knew what the ps3 could and could not do online prior to playing but playing the game first hand i felt slighlty robbed and cheated. Sony have had years to steal the best idea's from live and look to innovate themselves but they have done **** all.

Comment

I've spent ALL weekend playing this, and all I can say is it is absolutely fricken awesome. Single player is incredibly involving, and mulitplayer is really good, even without any chatting going on. A very worthy and impressive launch game... if second gen PS3 games are any better than this, the 360 is pretty much screwed.

I don't think the spawns are that bad, you are a ghost for a few seconds in the position you're about to spawn, so you can exactly what needs to be done.

There is a patch coming soon to change how spawns work anyway (so you spawn at the least busy point).
            Last edited by Spatial; 06-01-2007, 11:06.

Comment

Got this last week - gave it 20 mins at the most and thought it was dull, day off today and a couple of hours in and WOW! I can see lots of leanings towards Half Life 2 (fences and structures) as well as GOW. Only played a little bit online but all games seem to be lag free - even with 36 players.
              The only let down for me is the fecking awfull sticks on the PS3 pad.
              Like in5ane above says if this is a first gen PS3 game I cant wait to see what they come out with in the next 12 months.
              Is Half Life 2 gonna come out on the PS3?

Bugger just saw this on IGN -
              "Valve stated that it is working in collaboration with EA for the PlayStation 3 ports of the games"
              So thats the online part of the game ****ed then!
              Last edited by huxley; 08-01-2007, 21:16. Reason: add quote

Comment

IMO this is as good as Halo is/was. Brought back many similar feelings of how good it was/is.

Maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pavey View Post
                  IMO this is as good as Halo is/was.
                  Deffo.

Comment

agreed, as good as halo,

Comment

Don't be daft. It is a very tight single player game though. Sharp visuals, nicely presented, tight controls and great attention to detail. Cool weapons too.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                        Don't be daft. It is a very tight single player game though. Sharp visuals, nicely presented, tight controls and great attention to detail. Cool weapons too.
                        Doesn't seem daft to me other than saying that something "cutting edge" is "as good" as a now 6 year old game. More a testament to how impressive both in terms of design & technology Halo was.

Comment

Sigh... no, we're (I'm) not saying it's as good as a six year old game. I am saying, if Halo went off to be the mega hit it has become, then Resistance deserves a strong following and two more sequels as well.

Halo was distinctly average for anyone who had a PC at the same time, Resistance is well above average by todays standards. Unfortunately, you really need to play it for quite some time to fully appreciate it.

Comment

its a cross between Halo and Half Life 2 for me, but not as good as either. Decent FPS though. The vehicle bits are not done as well as Halo.

Comment

I've not had much of a chance to play this yet, but that bit at the start of the Manchester level, where you're on a slight hill made up of debris and stuff, and there are loads of soldiers in front of you, loads of Chimera shooting at them from the other side of the street, explosions going off left right and centre from bombs being dropped, and the guy behind you says "Welcome to the end of the World" was a proper standout moment for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X