Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All new food thread - recipes, pics and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    How the average Japanese person makes one of these in 20 mins is beyond me lol, took me an hour and a half but i was super unorganised i'm hoping as i go along to start getting better with timing and portion cooking times.

My first attempt at a proper balanced bento, seasoned sushi rice and teriyaki chicken in one half. Tamagoyaki, green beans and home made pickles in the other with some cherry tomatoes squeezed in. The only wacky thing in there are the toothpicks that look like stems so you can turn cherry tomatoes into fruits hehe.

Need to think up more recipes, although theres a good book on Amazon i might pick up as it has lots of good stuff in it for recipe ideas.
    Looks great, better than what I was buying in Tokyo couple of
    years ago

Comment

Top notch presentation Importaku! Had to google Tamagoyaki to find out what the hell it was mind you, I wasn't expecting omelette.....

Comment

Tamagoyaki is lovely.

Great presentation Importaku! Maiko would be proud herself!

Comment

Ah thanks everyone, made another tonight i need to buy smaller amounts of veg so i'm not left eating the same things all the time. No meat in this one as i ran out of chicken titties. Also not as much rice, usually i fill to the top but tried half full to cut back a bit. Tamagoyaki is a lot less brown today as the other day i put soy sauce in them.

Comment

Another lunch done for work tomorrow, getting the hang of it more, have a couple of bento recipe books on the way to help give me more ideas from the main few things i know how to make so far. HAven't fallen back into pot noodle/cheese sandwhich territory yet for lunch so i'm doing well so far hehe.

Comment

Cookbook turned up so i put it to good use, gently steamed sweet potato & teriyaki chicken. Was meant to sprinkle shichimi pepper on but i didn't have any so out come the toasted sesame seeds instead. Ordered some shichimi off amazon, ahh amazon what would i do without you?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                Cookbook turned up so i put it to good use, gently steamed sweet potato & teriyaki chicken. Was meant to sprinkle shichimi pepper on but i didn't have any so out come the toasted sesame seeds instead. Ordered some shichimi off amazon, ahh amazon what would i do without you?

tesco sell it mate it's in the world food Isle

Comment

So turns out if you get yeast that isn't dead, the dough rises.

I don't think Jonathan Warburton will be too worried.

Comment

This thread could do with a few more updates.

It doesn't have to be something you've cooked, but a nice meal out.
                    I was thinking of this thread whilst I was in Coventry with the wife at the weekend.

I stayed at Ansty Hall and it has the regional chef there so the food was great.
                    I had some lovely lamb, but the wife's treacle-marinated beef beat it.
                    We both had apple cake for pudding and it was amazing with about eight different types of apple from a crisp to honeycomb.

Went into town and ate at The Golden Cross. We shared starters of calamari and Camembert bread bowl and for main I had a "balti burger", which was chicken marinated in balti sauce, with a bhaji, mint sauce, tomato and mango chutney! It was nice, but the whole menu was gluten free and the bread isn't as tasty as normal bread.

The breakfast at the hotel was also scrummy. They had all the continental stuff, but also a full English with amazing black pudding and sausages (Red Tractor), but even better was the haggis and eggs, which was astonishing.

Anyone else had some top scran recently?

Comment

I just ate some of this which was very nice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cargo_rice

Comment

Just tried a Rebel Whopper ... and it was pretty good actually. Close enough to the real thing to justify it's existence.

Comment

Just had some ridiculously nice fish cakes from co-op own brand. Reduced price too. Total win. Broccoli, sugar snap peas, green beans, tomato, jacket potato, hot sauce.

Comment

So who remembers Angel Delight then?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              So who remembers Angel Delight then?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...-angel-delight
                              Unfortunately I do. Bloody horrid stuff. That and semolina. Oh and bread pudding. Oh god, yuck!
                              Can't beat the classic banana butties though unless we include cheese and onion crisp butties.

Comment

I love bread and butter pudding! My mum makes a mean one.

I used to Angel Delight when I was a kid. It was quite nice. Slightly unnervingly insubstantial and artificial in retrospect.

Comment

Working...
                                X