No announcement yet.

The Artwork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap, you guys are getting too awesome on here!

Feel so ashamed, have made it my resolution to get up off my lazy arse and PAINT again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
      Just been looking back a few pages.

The level of detail is incredible, Adam.
      Aw, bless you matey! I havent done anything new for a year or two now :-(

I really need to get back into it, i was finally starting to feel like i was getting somewhere.

Just to add, some awesome, AWESOME new works guys. I feel bad i have nothing new to share, at least when the game is out i can share links to my work! Creating 3D worlds allows me to rest a little that i havent actually been drawing!

Still... must get back to it.

Dogg Thang, i adore your Xmassy pics. Would it be possible to purchase some of you?
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I never actually posted my newest...

Ruby. She was drawn on Smooth bristol board, using pens, pens and a splash of water colour. My first ever person portrait attempt!!

Sid. This was a Christmas gift for my partner's brother. I enjoyed drawing this... less detail then i used to - but i loved spending time on the eyes

Comment

Bloody hell Adam they are awesome, particularly Ruby. Was going to 'complain' that you should post photo's in the photography discussion until I really looked close!

Really taken aback, you have got some serious talent young man.

Comment

Adam, the face of ruby genuinely looks like a photo. Astonishing detail.

Has any of your work related art been put online?

Comment

The detail on Ruby is insane! How long does it take you to produce something like that?
              Also, not sure if you have mentioned it before, did you do art in Uni or anything? I would love to able to draw that well!

Comment

Adam those are incredible. The eyes are amazing. As is the fur on Sid. I can't imagine how you have the patience for that! Astounding work. Really impressive.

Comment

Astounded and humbled by the talent present here. Jay's pics are simply gorgeous and the skill and attention to detail displayed by Adam is astonishing. Everything else I've seen here is terrific, I just picked out the two examples that really had an effect on me. Splendid stuff everyone.

Comment

Adam, seriously, that picture of the girl is taking the piss. Totally AMAZING! I've been looking at it for ages. Crap me it's practically a photograph. Phenomenal. My drawing ability starts and ends with stick men so I'm completely envious. I'm laughing as I type this I'm so in awe.

Comment

What a pleasant surprise! Thank you all for the lovely comments, really nice to see.

They can take a very long time to get right. Ruby took me about 100hours altogether. My first attempt went horribly horribly wrong. I spent about 50hours on it and in the end threw it away and started again. Im pleased I did, she turned out okay in the end.

I haven't had any training, no, very sadly. I didnt even do a GCSE in art, my art teachers never liked me because I asked too many questions, haha! I never went to collage or Uni. To be honest... I had never taken art overly seriously because I was always lead to believe it was a pointless ambition. I only bits and pieces to share my thoughts and feelings - but i started to do a bit of commission work when I was 20. When I was 22 i decided to follow my heart and pursue art, or at least something creative thus I needed to put a portfolio together... and so really tried hard to actually LEARN how to draw, ha! I started using different types of pencils and pens and practised with some styles... and in the end I draw this one: No Comfort:

- which is pretty shocking now I look back. Some bits are okay but so much went wrong! I then went on to do a tattoo design for a friend:

and then, one of my personal favourites... A Humble Gift:

After that one I went on to do the car portrait for my grandfather and then Ruby, the portrait, for my Uncle. Since then i havent done anything and I'm now 25 :-(

Just to add, there really are some amazing pieces in here. Please keep sharing your works guys, its very inspirational
                      Last edited by Adam Stone; 06-01-2012, 21:10.

Comment

Wow!! Adam your artwork is beyond amazing, a natural talent you have!!

I look forward to receiving some 3ds letters from you

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                          What a pleasant surprise! Thank you all for the lovely comments, really nice to see.

They can take a very long time to get right. Ruby took me about 100hours altogether. My first attempt went horribly horribly wrong. I spent about 50hours on it and in the end threw it away and started again. Im pleased I did, she turned out okay in the end.

I haven't had any training, no, very sadly. I didnt even do a GCSE in art, my art teachers never liked me because I asked too many questions, haha! I never went to collage or Uni. To be honest... I had never taken art overly seriously because I was always lead to believe it was a pointless ambition. I only bits and pieces to share my thoughts and feelings - but i started to do a bit of commission work when I was 20. When I was 22 i decided to follow my heart and pursue art, or at least something creative thus I needed to put a portfolio together... and so really tried hard to actually LEARN how to draw, ha! I started using different types of pencils and pens and practised with some styles... and in the end I draw this one
                          I wouldn't worry about not doing Art at GCSE level as I did it and if anything it put me off doing anything arty for years! Was a tricky time as you are constantly reminded that the big 3 (English, Maths & Science) should be the main focus to do well in plus you then have all the other subjects and by then your creativity is sapped and having to produce art every week becomes a struggle.
                          Add to the fact that I wasn't actually taught that much...seriously, my Mum goes to a painting class every week and she gets taught a lot more than I ever did - techniques like removing paint or creating a simple wash, I never had any of that.
                          So what are you working on at the moment? It's been nearly a month so I expect a 100 hour project might have come up

Comment

I'd been drawing random stuff on SketchBook Pro on my iPad last week while I was off work sick and thought I'd post it on here, but like a twat I clicked to the previous page and saw Adam's stuff so forgive me while my self-esteem takes a tumble

I absolutely love the app, though. As soon as I feel like drawing something I'll grab the iPad and do a quick sketch so I don't forget.

I've been thinking about actually learning to draw stuff, especially people. I'm bad at drawing people

Anyway, here goes...

The tower was meant to have detail like brickwork but decided to leave it blank to make it feel alien-y though really it's because I'm too crap/fidgety to draw bricks.

This is the eye of Duncan Idaho's ghola, from Dune. A ghola is a cloned human being who carries that person's memories(and the memories of all previous gholas if it's not the first one). They are 100% identical other than that their eyes are metallic with thousands of tiny holes in them. I have neither the patience nor the skill to draw thousands of tiny holes which is why the pupil is blank. It reminds me a bit of the intro cutscene for the second level of Another World, the closeup of the guy's eyes, in that there's bugger-all detail lol.

Also, I'm rubbish at doing eyelashes so I left them out. Hopefully gholas didn't have eyelashes, thus making this piece more true to Frank Herbert's original vision.

Yeah, right

This is what I'm working on at the moment:

No idea where the idea came from but it was while I was lying down last night to sleep. I did the rough sketch this morning at work.

I just finished the boy, the rest will have to wait:

Part of me wishes I hadn't added the blue highlights so soon because I'm still undecided about the dragon's colour(although it is going to be blue) but the rest of the picture will be b&w. That's the plan, anyway...

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                            I wouldn't worry about not doing Art at GCSE level as I did it and if anything it put me off doing anything arty for years!
                            I hated Art GCSE. I got an A for it(my only A!) but I used to drive the teacher nuts. I'd do my homework in biro and stuff and I'd always try and push the limits of whatever the term's theme was at the time because I didn't like feeling constrained. One term the theme was Food and Drink and I did a massive Killer Tomatoes comic where the tomatoes were 3D

My favourite time was the 2x5 hour exam at the end. I started a piece on the first day, then came in the next morning, ripped it up and started a new one from scratch. The entire room went deadly silent and the teacher nearly fainted! I managed to finish it in the 5 hours, though!
                            Last edited by randombs; 06-03-2012, 21:57.

Comment

I finished the dragon thing. It was meant to look like this:

A mate commented on it saying it needed some kind of background. I'd had trouble with the background as I couldn't draw anything I was happy with or that wouldn't take focus away from the boy and dragon. I decided to remove the boy's highlight for some reason and swiped his outline out by accident. I quite liked how it looked so removed the whole lot:

I don't know the rules or anything but, looking at both of them, I prefer it because the focus is on the dragon now and the left side of the image is dark and more ominous.

Comment

Looking good, I could never do anything on Ipad.

I think for the left hand side, something between the two of them would be better.
                                The dragon is really really glowing, so it seems a bit more plausible that the boy/rocks would be lit up quite a bit.

perhaps the blue lighting you've used would be better if it were a bit more contrasty and whiter?

Comment

Working...
                                X