No announcement yet.

The Artwork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made another paper theatre this one was pretty tough due to the bazillion extremely small parts some of them i could barely see let alone cut out & glue but it turned out pretty nice just a shame ensky don't make large illumination boxes to go with the large sized kits but at least they make display cases so it doesn't get wrecked. Love making the Totoro ones got a couple more to do then that's every single Totoro one they make in card form there are some wooden ones but i'm not fond of those may move onto the Doraemon ones they make.

Improvised using my small light base it just about fits the cut parts at the back so they can be lit up but there's no way to keep it in there as it's just loose.
    Last edited by importaku; 23-07-2020, 23:25.

Comment

While making some hard decisions last week, I drew a thing.

Comment

Amazing work as always Dogg

Comment

I mean, that is absolutely stunning. Congratulations. How did you create the piece?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            I mean, that is absolutely stunning. Congratulations. How did you create the piece?
            Thank you! It was drawn in Pixaki on the iPad, where all the individual animations were also created, and then I took it all into After Effects to composite it. Here's a little process gif. Up to the last stage there is in Pixaki, the rest is After Effects.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Made another paper theatre this one was pretty tough due to the bazillion extremely small parts some of them i could barely see let alone cut out & glue but it turned out pretty nice just a shame ensky don't make large illumination boxes to go with the large sized kits but at least they make display cases so it doesn't get wrecked.
              I've been inspired to buy some and they arrived today!
              Any tips to building them? Would I be an idiot to start building them before I have a case to them in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Thank you! It was drawn in Pixaki on the iPad, where all the individual animations were also created, and then I took it all into After Effects to composite it. Here's a little process gif. Up to the last stage there is in Pixaki, the rest is After Effects.

Oh wow. Nice one. Talented mate. I hope or you should be involved with a project, gaming or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                  I've been inspired to buy some and they arrived today!
                  Any tips to building them? Would I be an idiot to start building them before I have a case to them in?
                  You'll need a really fine tip craft knife as some of the parts are tiny and the tabs you have to cut to free the parts from the backing cards are even smaller. A pair of fine point tweezers are very handy too as some of the parts are so small they are very hard to pick up by your fingers. I also recommend getting a fine tip glue applicator amazon uk sell loads of different ones the one i got is this exact design as it lets you place very small dabs of glue as you don't want it oozing out all over the place as it will not look nice if it spills over.

If you don't want to buy a bottle a cocktail stick dipped in the glue will work too, as for glue i use pva school glue but any liquid paper glue should work but don't use a pritt stick as it will destroy the parts they are extremely fragile once freed from their backing cards. As for the plastic cases they are recommended as it keeps your creations safe but once you have built one of them they are quite sturdy if you put it somewhere out the way where it won't get touched. If you struggle to find the display cases let me know i can always add a few in from amazon japan when i next do an order as the regular sized ones are about 400 yen each and i know on ebay they price gouge the hell out of the kits.

Ensky seem to have started putting english instructions in a lot of the newer kits now so you should not have much problem following them but go slowly and cut out all the needed parts for a set of steps and try dry fitting them together before you glue that way you can figure out the order in case the pics are a little confusing. In some of the harder kits they have stumped me in a few steps sometime. The difficulty of the kits is on the back the black diamond rating is how hard they are to assemble i think 5 diamonds is the hardest.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I bought the paper theater glue kit that comes with some tweezers so I just need to locate my craft knives (may need new blades) and maybe some applicator brushes from work which are handy for tiny paint/ glue jobs!

Super skint now but the site I got the kits from (plaza japan) only have the light up ones as the others are sold out, which I may get in the future. I was hoping just to get the plain ones as I'd like to display them at our wedding if I could get them in time.

Comment

An evening spent binge watching stranger things while i build another of my totoro paper theatre kits, these ones are the newest ones they make where they are inside a capsule when done they even provide the capsule in the box. A total ballache to take pics of as the reflections block the detail of the back layers so i went in with the flash too, a bit harder as the pieces are small due to it all having to fit into a small ball.

Comment

Comment

That is awesome

Nice papercraft @importaku! It looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Blowing me away with your art man. I would love to be able to produce something like this which would work as a video to my music.

Comment

I wish that you could get that as a poster - animated. That would be epic.

Comment

Finished my first Paper theatre kit today. Completely messed up the first layer not realising the coloured parts had wooden underlays but apart from that I'm very pleased. I added the forgotton leaves to the front to add some more decoration

Comment

Working...
                                X