Rogue Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogue Galaxy

Fired this up yesterday and managed to get 4 hours in with it. Not really much of an RPG fan, but I've liked the look of this for a long time due to my long-term fascination with OverWorks' Skies of Arcadia, and beyond the Space Pirate premise, the similarities end there. It has far more in common with Dragon Quest VIII and Kingdom Hearts II (as you would expect with the former, due to it being the same team).

In anycase, I've really gotten into it. I'm liking the visuals, which whilst aren't a million miles from Dark Cloud or Dragon Quest's aesthetic delivery. The cut-scenes in particular look superb, makes a nice difference from the CG offerings we're used to in these types of games. The voice acting (which wouldn't surprise me if it was the same DQ cast) is actually bearable as well.

The battle-system is pretty straight-forward. Hack n' Slash. Wait for your meter to replenish. Rinse and Repeat OR successfully block an attack and then get stuck in. You can opt to control any of your party within a battle and you can set a team parameter, so that they behave accordingly. Often during battles, commands will flash up when your CPU allies want to perform an ability. It works well. Battles can often descent into disarray if not done correctly, but this system does allow you to sit back, wait for your moment, then dive in for the kill and not have your allies randomly and getting themselves killed UNLESS you want them too.

The Revelation System is something that's been seen in other RPG's, but I prefer this one, mainly because this one tells you what ones you need to fill in the blanks (bit of a dumb **** y'see), which of course, opens up new abilities. At the point I arrived at last night, I'd just unlocked Item Synthesis, which allows me to mix two of the same style weapons together to create a bigger and better hybrid. I mean, with names like Ridge Crusher, how can than NOT sound like an awesome weapon.

Those versed in these sorts of games can explain things better than I. I'm really, really liking this though, and dare I say, it could be the first "proper" RPG I actually finish other than Zelda!

Been playing this a bit and already come up against some little side-questy bits that are gonna really dent the progress I make (in a good way).

There's some kind of hunt system a la FFXII. As part of this, you get points for killing a certain number of enemies (25 dragonflies, etc) - no idea what I'm gonna use these for but I'm still in the first area looking for enemies to kill to earn these points. And looking at the list, there's over 200 enemies in the game... There's a little hunters league table in the game, and I'm still 100th out of 100... Not staying there!

This game is gonna take me a while...

Comment

You soon move up that list when you kill bosses and I wouldn't waste too much time filling in the things at the beginning because you end up back there later with faster better ways of getting your targets.

I personally was initially a bit disappointed in the battle system and lacking strategic structure like alot of turn based stuff has. The floatiness of the characters when doing jump combo's is a bit much for my logical thinking engineers mind, but I don't want to sound like one of those who always say 'there should be more realism in games' because it is only a game and not a physics exercise. Plus I've got entire collection based arounbd RPGs so it would look a bit stupid.

Also the initial just randomly meeting characters isn't my idea of a structure to character deveolpment either, so perhaps that will improve with further development of the characters and story. Not like in FFXII and any of Matsuno's games where all the characters have relationships built up to one another before you meet them, and the battle system and story are well built around this.

Mind you the mini map in the corner of the screen and layout of an early stage did remind me of Dark Chronicle which can only be a good thing, but again I can't help feeling like they've dumped any complexities Dark Chronicle introduced to the ActionRPG genre just to suit some kind of new audience. Which is happening alot in games anyway these days, so thats just me.

I'm just sincerely hoping its a grower though and these gripes are just me nitpicking at the early game because I'm not fully used to it, but to me, so far there's definitely a lack of structure in some aspects of it. Especially when I think of FFXII, but they can't all be as good can they? I'm just holding out some hope that when I spend more time on it something catches hold and makes me want to go along for the ride. I can't see it so far though - for shame!!
      Last edited by AdamJW; 04-02-2007, 18:01.

Comment

To flip the (quite valid) points you make AdamJW, for a newcomer to JRPG's (with my only RPG history being a couple of Zelda's, WoW and bit of Oblivion) these things make it rather accessible. For me, the blend of realtime battles and fairly straight forward party/tactics stuff seems to be easing me in nicely, and hopefully sets me up for more complex titles in the future. The depth of the characters backstory, their relationships with each other and in fact the story itself has been whats kept Rogue Galaxy from getting high eights and nines in some reviews - so it hasn't come as much of a suprise. But for me, the very decent voice acting is enough to keep me interested, as well as wanting to progress the story, if only to see more of the beautiful CG/Anime sequences. The main intro (a short while in) with the credits rolling reminded me loads of the Blue Dragon intro, both in style and quality.

So for a total newcomer to the genre, about 4 hours in and really enjoying it. From what i've read its nowhere near as epic as say FFXII, but then also from what i've read, what is? Heres hoping playing through this, coupled with my love for WoW, will get me nicely ready for FFXII?

Comment

I'm just glad its not one of my first proper JRPGs or I'd have been even more meh. I'll still give it a strong seven, but one less for lack of strategic approach to fighting, one for random story and lacking a bit of character does hold it back.

Its definitely not as good DQVIII in its early bits. I am holding out and giving it a chance though dont get me wrong and then if it doesn't grab me I'll go back to playing some turn based stuff like Dragon Shadow Spell or SRW because there's a new one out for DS in a month.
          Last edited by AdamJW; 04-02-2007, 18:18.

Comment

This is unplayable on a Swap magic (i.e. non-internal mod chipped) PS2 as it's dual-layer, right?
            Would love to get the US version but will probably just hold off for the UK release.

Comment

I didn't know that. I tried it just now using swap magic and nothing. I have an american machine so its ok for me but you've now just got me extremely worried that they don't do this with Super robot Taisen OGs when it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamJW View Post
                I didn't know that. I tried it just now using swap magic and nothing. I have an american machine so its ok for me but you've now just got me extremely worried that they don't do this with Super robot Taisen OGs when it comes out.
                As long as it's not dual-layer you'll be fine.

Comment

SRWOGs has been delayed even further, so I just hope they don't do this dual layering **** in the meantime to squeeze whatever they can out of us.

I wonder what the likelihood of them doing this is. I'm getting concerned now * bites nails *. Maybe I'll have to get my American or PAL PS2 chipped up, but don't know anyone to do it where I live anyway.
                  Last edited by AdamJW; 04-02-2007, 19:07.

Comment

I'm running this off my HDD myself, seems to work fine and load pretty quickly to boot.

Comment

so how does this stand compared to Skies of Arcadia in terms of story and atmosphere?

oh, and how does the save system work? can you save everywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                        so how does this stand compared to Skies of Arcadia in terms of story and atmosphere?

oh, and how does the save system work? can you save everywhere?
                        Hasn't really captivated me as much as SoA did. But it's been a long time since i finished it so it could be me being rather misty eyed and nostalgic. It's all looks real nice and the voice acting is of a high quality but i'm unsure about the combat (which is the most important thing for me). I guess going from the sublime FFXII which does everything for you, i've become rather lazy and i'm actually having to do some work .

With regards to the saves it works the same as FFXII. There are designated save points that you stand on and they also work as teleports (a la FFXII).
                        Not sure if it's any different once you get to the world map stage, assuming there is one?

Comment

Stupid, annoying frog, making me grind weapons up to max status just so I can combine them, then I always find more weapons to buy, then I just...have...to...grind....them...too

Only on chapter 4, I've just escaped the prison, but then Simon joined my team and I had six sets of hands and three missile pods to level up, so back to the prison.

At least I'm finishing most of the bounty hunting bits

Comment

Just arrived in Zerard after six and a half hours play (the game arrived yesterday). Liking it overall though the jungle got to be a bit expensive as I was using a lot of heal potions and resurrection potions.
                            Last edited by Bassman; 15-03-2007, 11:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                              Just arrived in Zerard after six and a half hurs play (the game arrived yesterday). Liking it overall though the jungle got to be a bit expensive as I was using a lot of heal potions and resurrection potions.
                              It gets easier after Zerard. I got to the bit with the bodybuilding boxer dog who's shagging a barmaid and just couldn't bare the slog-fest with **** dialogue it had become. Was really looking forward to it after DQVIII. Still -looks fantastic.
                              Last edited by Steve; 18-03-2007, 12:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X