No announcement yet.

Graw2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with the ridiculous enemy AI?! They're looking in a completely different direction and could be having a fire fight with my team while I flank them from range with a sniper but as soon as I'm in a position where they could see me if they turned, but obviously don't know I'm there, they instantly face and fire in my direction. Rubbish.

Comment

Really? I barely even noticed, given they're more or less as braindead as they were in the first game. There's virtually no point in the entire game where you need to flank, they never rush you, they only ever move around once or twice within a very small area... I remember once on Elevated Risk, on the mission where you first get the Mexican infantry squad the rebels did flank me a couple of times and actually used grenades - I could hardly believe it.

It's definitely one of the easiest games I've ever played (and I'm really not that great), and while the AI may well have been cheating on me I don't recall ever feeling it was making any difference. I wish it had been, quite honestly, it might have given me a challenge.

Comment

I like the mention of Third Echelon before the last level.

Comment

Originally posted by Eight Rooks View Post
          I remember once on Elevated Risk, on the mission where you first get the Mexican infantry squad the rebels did flank me a couple of times and actually used grenades - I could hardly believe it.
          In Act 2 on Elevated I've had 'nades thrown at me quite a few times. In the setpiece where you have to wait for the hummer to turn up and evac you in front of the church, the mercs were throwing them at me like it was going out of fashion.

Not that throwing frags has ever been in fashion, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Eight Rooks View Post
            Really? I barely even noticed, given they're more or less as braindead as they were in the first game. There's virtually no point in the entire game where you need to flank, they never rush you, they only ever move around once or twice within a very small area... I remember once on Elevated Risk, on the mission where you first get the Mexican infantry squad the rebels did flank me a couple of times and actually used grenades - I could hardly believe it.

It's definitely one of the easiest games I've ever played (and I'm really not that great), and while the AI may well have been cheating on me I don't recall ever feeling it was making any difference. I wish it had been, quite honestly, it might have given me a challenge.
            yeah, most people just don't notice the really poor AI of the game. this underlines the shift from tactical to simple linear shooting action. this is not a tactical shooter any longer, even though it masks itself as one.

all in all GRAW is a very disappointing next gen approach to the tactical shooter genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
              all in all GRAW is a very disappointing next gen approach to the tactical shooter genre.
              there are some AI problems thats for sure

but consider real life, half assed bandits could probably shoot straight

nevermind being a fecking sniper with an AK47

Anyway i love it - so there *runs away*

on the 2nd last mission (water plant) i was ontop of the factory building and the baddies where ontop of the building on the other side of the map (the building where you eventually fight the 2 helicopters they had me pinned down with automatic fire, when i look through my sniper scope they were still little dots they were that far away
              Last edited by buster_broon; 06-05-2007, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric View Post
                In Act 2 on Elevated I've had 'nades thrown at me quite a few times. In the setpiece where you have to wait for the hummer to turn up and evac you in front of the church, the mercs were throwing them at me like it was going out of fashion.

Not that throwing frags has ever been in fashion, I think.
                Seriously? Weird. Never had it happen once outside of that point I mentioned - the enemies were certainly tougher and firing more frequently at the church, but no 'nades.

Don't get me wrong, as a straight-up enjoyable single-player experience I enjoyed GRAW 2 a great deal, probably more than the first game; it was far better orchestrated and the new cross-com controls were a lot more enjoyable to use. They did fix some of the flaws; I found it much less glitchy and your allies were no longer quite so staggeringly useless (it never felt quite as easier doing it all yourself, for example). But it was big dumb fun and little else.

Comment

At the church, did you take out the merc helo before/as it landed? Maybe if you're more aggressive they are too.

Regardless, when I played through this in Elevated risk I can honestly say that 80% of my restarts were caused by **** ally AI/them running into my line of fire/not healing me when requested or quite merrily running out into the open to pop off a few rounds whilst some twunt fired anti-tank rockets at them.

Comment

No, I didn't go for the helicopters at all on elevated risk. Maybe that was it. Also I never had the allied AI screw up that badly - it really did seem considerably improved over the first game (if still nothing to write home about) - but maybe I'm just less trigger-happy than some.

They did run out into the open still, but they seemed to be far better at it than they ever were in the first game. I had a few downs on Elevated Risk, but never anyone killed outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                      of course GRAW 2 is by no means a bad game. it's still a nice shooter. but given that more straightforward shooters like Gears of War - which don't claim to be tactical in the first place - offer the more convincing AI and the more tense firefights - GRAW simply falls short as a so called Next Gen installation in the tactical shooter genre.

all this new modern warfare high tech stuff and team command features only serve as a mask. just as there is not much need for a big tactical approach to the objectives, these features are not needed to succeed.

Comment

Meh, clever use of eye candy counts for a lot. For my money you could argue GRAW 2 beats Gears for set pieces hands down - I'll say it again, polygon counts and texture detail aside there is simply nothing in Gears to equal the sheer scope and cinematic flair of "Welcome to Juarez", for starters. Epic's engine is marvellous, but they haven't really used it for anything other than close quarters, hemmed in areas (admittedly I haven't seen the new, bigger Gears maps, since I hate the multiplayer).

Comment

Playstation 3 Demo First Play

I didn't think it was worth making a new thread for the PS3 version.

Just tried the PS3 demo out of bordem and curiosity, and it's terrible in comparison to the 360 version. Just speaking graphically because it plays the same as the 360 version. It just looks dull. The sun glare is still there, but it doesn't seem as colourful compared to the 360 version, and it seems very dark in some areas. It's grainy and there's loads of slowdown.

Another 360 port that looks worse on PS3.
                          Last edited by MarioMark; 02-08-2007, 17:39.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                            I didn't think it was worth making a new thread for the PS3 version.

Just tried the PS3 demo out of bordem and curiosity, and it's terrible in comparison to the 360 version. Just speaking graphically because it plays the same as the 360 version. It just looks dull. The sun glare is still there, but it doesn't seem as colourful compared to the 360 version, and it seems very dark in some areas. It's grainy and there's loads of slowdown.

Another 360 port that looks worse on PS3.
                            Couldn't agree more. It just looks horribly low-res compared to the 360 version.

Comment

Can anyone please give me a rundown on how to play this. I finished the original game on hard when it first came out, but i don't have it anymore.

The tutorial on this one is terrible...I can't for the life of me remember how i played the original. I can move my team around and that, but im sure im missing something.

Also does the game go back to the cities? I don't like the barren landscape on the first level.

EDIT: Doesn't matter, worked it out now. The graphics are very nice, i don't know if its because i was playing the original on scart but the lighting and clarity is really nice.
                              Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 22-07-2008, 17:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X