"Arcade Perfect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Of all the misuses of console gaming's favourite claim, most memorable was the term 'pixel perfect conversion' on the back of the Pal Saturn Daytona box
    it had all the right pixels, it just displayed them in the wrong order

© Eric Morecambe

Comment

Excluding the Neo-Geo AES (which sported identical hardware as the MVS), I think that Xmen vs SF on the Saturn and the ST-V ports were the first 100% arcade perfect games.

Before that, we had games like Tekken, Time Crisis, RR and Daytona but those were not arcade perfect, although the first 2 Tekkens got very close (the differences are pretty minimal). And in the 16-bit era about nothing was arcade perfect, there was always some issue (sound or colouring).

People say the DC was the first machine to produce arcade perfect games. But they forget that the Naomi was to DC what ST-V was to Saturn. It was near identical hardware. That explains why ST-V games like Radiant Silvergun, Die Hard Arcade and Decathlete were already about 100% perfect. Also, Model 3 (hardware that was deemed to be weaker than Naomi) titles were not arcade perfect on the DC so the DC didn't really change things.

Comment

i remember a convo we had with our amiga-owning mate about pit fighter. his mag called the amiga one arcade-perfect, but the megadrive one was 'better than the arcade' according to our mag.

ahhh, bliss.

Comment

pit fighter on the amiga lol it was dreadful

i remember the fuss the made about the port of robocop on the amiga, that too was not great

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
            People say the DC was the first machine to produce arcade perfect games. But they forget that the Naomi was to DC what ST-V was to Saturn. It was near identical hardware.
            Yeah but often the Saturn versions are by far better than the ST-V versions because of the disc fomat contra cartridges (sound/music + loads of extras). For example I would never dream of playing RadiantSilvergun or HyperDuel on anything else than my Saturn.

Comment

Arcade perfect meant getting those visuals and sounds that, at the time, could only be had outside of the home....it really never came until Neo Geo and eventually, it became clear to myself that the pure definition of a port means that it will never be arcade perfect so I stopped compromising and just acquired the original boards. In this day and age with almost everything readily available, there's no reason to settle for less unless the home versions are giving something significantly different (NES Strider, Bionic Commando) or better.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post

People say the DC was the first machine to produce arcade perfect games. But they forget that the Naomi was to DC what ST-V was to Saturn. It was near identical hardware. That explains why ST-V games like Radiant Silvergun, Die Hard Arcade and Decathlete were already about 100% perfect. Also, Model 3 (hardware that was deemed to be weaker than Naomi) titles were not arcade perfect on the DC so the DC didn't really change things.
                But thats no diff to people bring up Tekken as perfect ports even though it was running on PS hardware (system 11) For me the most impressive Arcade ports were the likes of Virtua Cop , Virutal On , SEGA Rally and Virutal Fighter II onthe Saturn given the massive spec diff between haradware and the fact that people like EDGE made out the Saturn couldn't do 3D.

In fact I still can't beleive how close VC was on the Saturn , it was more or less the Arcade game in your own Home . At the time it was mind blowing , 1995 will go down as the best gaming Christmas ever

Comment

Sure, and thats because of the fact that 1) conversion standards set by gamers were lower and 2) arcade hardware was very superior to consoles. We all thought SF2 on the SNES was the best thing since sliced bread, yet it was a reasonable far cry from the coin op. Saturn's VF2 was therefore quite an achievement. No system could do model 2 at the time, not PS or N64 and I believe not even the high end PC's. VF2 with its 60fps came close to it. It looked better than the System 11 stuff on the PS.

But its a time I miss. Although I dreamt of having Arcade perfection in my home, nothing beats drooling over those elite arcade cabs. I mean in 1996, Model 3 was pretty ****ing insane! When I played VF3 and Scud Race for the first time I thought I was going to faint. When I walk into arcades now, I see hardware thats BASED on the current consumer consoles. Its not so special anymore.

Comment

Really? My pants still stir seeing stuff in the arcades. Nothing will ever be arcade perfect, in so much as just sitting there at a cab literally going blind roughly 12" from a 32" screen, arcade speakers moving so much air around you you might as well be in your own little world. Not often -- if at all -- you get that on consumer consoles. Sure, the playability may be arcade perfect (for me Daytona was spot on on the Saturn, Sega Rally too etc...) but there's just those few essential ingredients missing. The one reason I play your average MAME ROM on a genuine arcade machine.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                      how about games that were better then the arcade version?

like soul edge
                      Kung Fu on the NES was way better than the Arcade game Kung Fu Master that it was based on.

Comment

I know what Commander is saying thought, playing Out Run , Power Drift After Burner in their hydraulic cabinets was an amazing experience (still is) and the likes of G Loc 360 , Lost World (Massive cab) and F355 (3 screen) is something else , I still love Arcades just a shame most Arcade operators can’t afford massive cab these days HOD III deluxe and the new Out Run look something else , but these days its hard enough trying to find a Arcade , never mind deluxe cab’s .

God I miss the old days , where even when waiting for chips in the chippy I could play the likes of Players Golf, Wonderboy, Tiger Heli ect And when I was a young Whippersnapper, down the likes of the Dirty Duck Copper coin, High Tide Arcades where mum would give me 20 quid to sh8t me up and play on the Arcade, while she and the rest of the oldies drunk them self’s silly Happy Days !!!

Ah if only I could win the lotto, I’ll have 4 floors full of Arcade games, and I'm not kiding

Comment

Only 4? No joke if I won the lottery I'd get 100s and 100s of cabs. Dedicated, candy, neo geo. I'd like to have 30 odd neo cabs each with a six slot in so I could turn on and play any neo geo (MVS) game ever made! I'd like a room full of candies just for schmups (40 + at least). God I'd need to win a biggie..not one of those 'pissy' £1-3 million jackpots lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                            Only 4? No joke if I won the lottery I'd get 100s and 100s of cabs. Dedicated, candy, neo geo. I'd like to have 30 odd neo cabs each with a six slot in so I could turn on and play any neo geo (MVS) game ever made! I'd like a room full of candies just for schmups (40 + at least). God I'd need to win a biggie..not one of those 'pissy' ?1-3 million jackpots lol.
                            The ticket would hardly be worth the paper its printed on for that kind of pittance

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                              Only 4? No joke if I won the lottery I'd get 100s and 100s of cabs.
                              So would I, Thats why I'll have 4 floors worth of Arcade machines, not 4 Arcade machines .

Comment

Yeah that's what I read. Must be big floors then lol..athough I suppose if you win the lottery you can buy a massive house!

Comment

Working...
                                X