Camra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camra

Any other Camra drinkers on here. I've kept meaning to join and forgetting but the number of beer festivals I've been to in the last year and am planning for this year I finally got my act together and joined tonight.

Any other beardy ale swilling members?

Originally posted by Ish View Post
    Any other Camra drinkers on here. I've kept meaning to join and forgetting but the number of beer festivals I've been to in the last year and am planning for this year I finally got my act together and joined tonight.

Any other beardy ale swilling members?

I went to a beer festival in Shrewsbury 2 years ago.
    We paid about ?7 to get in and were given a half pint glass "Complimentary" like!
    We both thought that we'd never get pissed on half pints....
    How wrong we were. Beer festivals are amazing, the only tip I would give is to not mention "Lager" they (The beardy guys) get a bit defensive when you mention it.
    Beer is and Ale, and Lager is an abomination...Apparently...

Comment

Not a member of Camra but I am a real ale drinker. I have found this an increasingly difficult task since I moved to london. I cannot stand what they do to ale down here and the only beer my off licence sells is John Smiths.
      Tonight I will be drinking Adnams Classic, Black Sheep - Golden Sheep and Wychcraft. My favourite mainstream ale is Wandsworth 6X

Comment

Black Sheep is gorgeous I had some in Leicester a few months back. Down here we only get SA in the local pubs, its ok I guess.

Comment

VP and I keep a little log book of every bottled real ale we've drank since 2001 (bar a few that escaped the net early on). I record the date, brewer, name and abv. Then we split the bottle and try to give it a consensus rating out of 10. Last year was a vintage year - over 80 new beers found and logged, 5 years down the line, thanks to a couple of trips to Keswick that always provides newbies different from the local offies and supermarkets. We keep meaning to get a website up and running for other beard-strokers to mock, but VP is a lazy twadge.

Plough Boy has also caught the bug - since February he's rated over 70 I think, but he has the benefit of having all the local shops supplying 'new' beers - new to him, but old hat to us. And he drinks all week - ours is a Friday night thing, over games of EDF, PES and whatever is the flavour of the month.

This year has been piss poor so far for new beers, but I went to Keswick on Tuesday and harvested 32 new beers, so that's made this year's effort more respectable (cough).

We're not members of CAMRA but dedicated real ale drinkers. I don't mind foreign low-key lagers but despise the chemical-drenched pastuerised crap like Budweiser, Carling, etc. Stella gives me the mother of all headaches, it's so rich in toxic waste.

If anyone wants to try something different, try Marston's Firestoker. It tastes so unique, like vanilla and cherries. Even if you don't like it you can appreciate its individuality

Comment

ooof lazy twadge, big skank! real ales are great, lovely taste, get you buzzed and the next day the hang overs arnt bad at all. a lil grotty out of bed but no mega head splitter like chemical piss like carling.

bbbwaaah!!

Comment

prinny - I often wish I'd done that. The number of times I try to remember what I've drunk...

Anyway tonights tipples were a couple of bottles of Fullers London Pride and now I'm having a St. Peters Creamy Stout. Yum yum.

Was at the Cambridge beer festival last week. Awesome. Awesome to the max.

Comment

Not a massive stout fan but Londons Pride is real nice summer ale. I often start drinking it when the weather turns warm.

Comment

due to working in the past as stage crew I've helped setup a couple of camra events and been given free drinks as a bonus .. argh, ended nasty. I went to another on my own accord and ended up carrying my friend home. winter wamer was a favourite, its mad how strong they can be.

Comment

I love the dark stuff. Dark strong beers are, unfortunately, my favourites.

In the cupboard I've got some 11% Imperial Russian Stout. Christ it puts hairs on your, well, everywhere to be honest. I reserve it for special occasions as by the time your done the old eyesight is blurred

Didn't have a stout in the end. Went for a bottle conditioned Old Slug Porter. Very tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish View Post
                      prinny - I often wish I'd done that. The number of times I try to remember what I've drunk...

Anyway tonights tipples were a couple of bottles of Fullers London Pride and now I'm having a St. Peters Creamy Stout. Yum yum.

Was at the Cambridge beer festival last week. Awesome. Awesome to the max.
                      Is St Peters the one in the medicine-type bottles?

Heh we must have about 400 beers logged, maybe more. The good thing is, it keeps things interesting. It's nice sometimes to flick back and see some old ratings. Then there's the pleasure you get out of finding a stash of new beers. I found some last year in Leyburn in the Yorkshire Dales of all places, in a small supermarket. A shelf full of newbies. And I know for a fact that the Edinburgh Woolen Mill in Durham City has a few untried ones in. I love it when you find a new gem, one that's totally different to the masses. Sometimes as well you can re-try a beer and see if your opinion's changed. We underrated Firestoker first time round, then by chance I noticed that I'd scribbled some drunken comment down about it being totally unique, and we gave it another go. Instead of having it at the end of the night, when our palettes were thrashed by 5 other beers, we had it at kick off and reappraised it. Absolutely superb, it gets tastier with every swig.

Comment

My step dad doesn't keep a record of tastes but he does keep a scrap book of the labels from the bottles of ale he has drank. The problem is that he is a massive lightweight so the book isn't half as big as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                          Is St Peters the one in the medicine-type bottles?
                          Thats the one.

I highly recommend the creamy stout. Its 6.5% I think and has a wonderfully strong rich flavour. One of the best bottled stouts I've had and I regularly clear the shelf out in the one store I know of that stocks it locally.

Comment

Don't think I've had that one. I'll have to check the book! Ive got the Ruby Red, Golden Ale and Best Bitter standing by from my trip to Keswick the other day. I once had a St Peter's, though, that was a bit rotten, tasted of sour nettles had to down it as a bit of a dare - VP wouldn't touch it.

Is the Imperial Russian Stout the Durham Breweries one? Maybe not, I thought it was only 10%? It's a massive hardcore stout, hold it up to the light and it causes an eclipse.

Comment

I've just got a bottle to have a look. My bad. Its 9%. An Albert Le Coq Imperial Russian Stout. Bottle conditioned. Corked.

Comment

Working...
                              X