£48 per month to run a PS3 or "How to make yourself look stupid with maths"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£48 per month to run a PS3 or "How to make yourself look stupid with maths"

According to research site Sust-it.net , if you spent ?400 on a PlayStation 3 this year, you'll find that over an eight-year period you'll spend another ?400 just powering the thing. It has a 380w power supply, meaning that if it is maxed out for two hours every day, it will cost you about ?48 a month to run - and that's on top of the ?40 a game that Sony also charges.
    Hidden costs
    So if the figures are to be believed, your PlayStation 3, power and all, will probably end up costing you about ?800 ($1,600) and that's without playing a single game.
    And while many gamers will see this as a worthwhile investment, it's important to point out that running a Nintendo Wii for the same amount of time over the same eight years will cost you ?17. Yeah, just seventeen quid.
    The Xbox 360 would cost you ?165 while the original PlayStation 2 would use up only around ?50 over the same eight years.
    Figures used are based on numbers provided by Sust-it.net .

Does the console power down or cut power when Folding??

Comment

Without playing a single game... so what is this person gonna do for 2 hours every day for a month?

I'm sure I saw this somewhere but it was a years worth.

Comment

Originally posted by darksteve View Post
        Does the console power down or cut power when Folding??
        I dunno, I didn't download it yet, but I'm pretty sure it does? Have you really got a PS3?! I tried adding you, but it couldn't find your gamertag........

Comment

Wouldn't folding need just as much processing power though? the GPU wouldn't need power the same, but the CPUs would be maxxed out i think...

Your maths is wrong it's £400 across 8 years. so £50 per year or £4.16 per month, at less than £1 a week, I don't think it's really an issue for most people
          Last edited by MikeRox; 12-06-2007, 17:38.

Comment

It's slightly misleading in that the PSU will never be maxed out - they need enough leeway to power the machine with some to spare and have enough to power USB peripherals and the like - but yeah, I dread to think how much my gaming habit and the fact that my computer is on for a good 12 hours each day whether I'm on it or not costs in electricity.

Anyone who mentions my carbon footprint gets my real footprint in their face.

Comment

£48 a year, surely?

Comment

Where does £48 a month come from?????????

you'll find that over an eight-year period you'll spend another £400 ............ two hours every day, it will cost you about £48 a month to run.......
                I don't know the current mean price of electricity, but based on the figures...

8 years... which is (12x8) months = 96
                £400/96 = £4.16 a month.

Sound normal to me. It is after all using ELECTRICITY. OMG! STOP THE PRESSES. Here is a list of things in my house that already use this thing:

Immersion Heater (costs more than PS3 to run)
                PC Desktop (is on pretty much 24/7, more than a PS3)
                LCD TV (is on more often than PS3)
                Electric Oven
                Kettle
                Toaster

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                  ?48 a year, surely?
                  First thing which came to my head too.

Comment

£48 quid a month for 2 hours? Sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe - I have a file server pc, internet pc, laptop, plasma TV, amp, sky, pvr, xbox or xbox360 or ps3 or ps2, electric oven, fridge-freezer, lights and god knows what else on in the evening for more than 2 hours, and my combined electric and gas bill is less than £50 a month.

Comment

Someone's obviously got their figures very wrong, and who on earth are Sust-it.net ?

Comment

Whoever they are hopefully they don't have a side line in accounting.

Comment

The guy who does their math really needs a new calculator. ?4.16 a month... oh noes!

Comment

Should a mod maybe edit the thread title then.
                            £4.16 is a little less sensationalist though.

Comment

Probably competitor viral spinning to give more gristle to the fanboys.
                              Last edited by Concept; 12-06-2007, 18:19.

Comment

Working...
                              X