No announcement yet.

"But can it do GT3?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read back and all will be revealed. Be warned though, once you find out the reasons for the thread's existence your life will never be the same again.

Comment

Stumbled across this thread and felt determined to add my own pointless contribution...

Whoever said PGR2's car modelling was better than GT4's is clearly insane. I seem to remember there was a thread about whether PGR3's car models were better than GT4's - so to say PGR2's were better is clearly wrong.

That's all I want to say.

Comment

An equally pointless riposte:

GT4:

PGR2:

Comment

Originally posted by forpey View Post
          Stumbled across this thread and felt determined to add my own pointless contribution...

Whoever said PGR2's car modelling was better than GT4's is clearly insane. I seem to remember there was a thread about whether PGR3's car models were better than GT4's - so to say PGR2's were better is clearly wrong.

That's all I want to say.
          When it comes time to find quote of the year I'd like this one registered please

Rhetoric behaviour FTW !

edit : And yes, you may as well now lok.

Comment

Yeah, the DC could've done GT3 but it would've looked ****!

Could the DC do God of War 2. LOL.
            Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; 08-07-2007, 14:03.

Comment

Perhaps, but it would have had a fantastic VMU minigame where you press A a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                Strange about your feelings of PGR2. GT4 is still a brillant looking game but I've always fely the car detailing in PGR2 was to a more higher level of GT4 and given the Xbox's higher horspower, it makes it even better looking.
                Ah yeah, I know there's something special about GT models though and I think it's similar to the uncanny valley affect. PGR models look utterly fantastic but GT has something else that while maybe not as detailed (who knows...) they look true to life. There's something clearly not right in PGR that makes 'em look just wrong, probably lighting I feel as the environments look stunning the subtle effects are lost on animated cars. Kind of like the same thing in Rallisport how the graphics are simply stunning but the cars look completely out of place, sorta.

I dunno if I'm making any sense or not

Dreamcast rulez.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
                  Yeah, the DC could've done GT3 but it would've looked ****.
                  There are DC games with better looking environments than GT3, the only thing special about GT3s visuals were GPU tricks and the car models. Everything else was bland, same 24x24pixel texture slapped together over and over again. :P

About Le Mans Circuits being wrong compared with F355, I think it's actually F355 that has the odd proportions isn't it? Le Mans kinda matches F1 racers I've played and more recently the Moto GP games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
                    Yeah, the DC could've done GT3 but it would've looked ****!

Could the DC do God of War 2. LOL.
                    How many years between the release of the PS2 to gods of war 1 and 2 being released a fair few. DC didn't have a long life it never got the chance to be pushed to its very limits.

It could of easily done GT3 and given the same amount of time as the ps2 would of been capable of doing gods of war just the same if not better than the ps2.

For the short life it had I experienced way better graphics than I had seen on any ps2 game.

In short DC could of done GT3 easily just look at shenmue 1 and 2 might be different game but the graphics are top notch.

Comment

That's just it though, GT 3 was released early in the PS2's lifespan (a year after launch) and smoked anything on the DC (graphically) at the time.

GT 3 would've took the DC to the limit and it would've been on multiple discs too as GD-ROMs could only hold 1.2GB of data, GT 3 was on a 4.7 GB DVD-Rom.

As for GT 4 that was on DVD-9 disc (8.5 GB Dual-Layer)

Yeah, the DC could've done GT 3 (but again) it would've been ****. DC owners should stop kidding themselves on!

Its 2007 people...move on!
                      Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; 08-07-2007, 21:48.

Comment

What a great thread

Originally posted by kuro-tsuno View Post
                        DC didn't have a long life it never got the chance to be pushed to its very limits.
                        Ah see here's the problem like; the graphics hardware is pretty good on the DC but not very flexible like say the PS2, which also has tons of 'grunt' to go with it. The DC was kind of like PC good, higher-res stuff without much life to it, bar artistic flare. When you start talking about dynamic stuff (like Silent Hill 3), number-crunching graphics is where the DC falls flat. Something like WRC:E with it's highly animated environments with tons of freely animated things in your face, slick frame-rate and pixel effects could never be done on old hardware like the DC. There just isn't the architecture to do it.

And the DC isn't dead yet, is it? It's a wonder the PD scene haven't tried to knock something out that looks like GT3 but on the Dreamcast. I wonder if the tile-based graphics could do it as well as the PS2's more traditional methods. Le Mans has some really nice graphical tricks happening to make up for the DC's lack of power; they're visible on the screen too. Skies of Arcadia employed a similar technique IIRC although I don't remember what the technique is called. Reason the PS2 version of Test Drive LeMans is so bad is it's a port and ports don't get anywhere near enough to to rework for different hardware, etc...

Art aside, even RRV put a lot of the current gen-gaming to shame. I can't imagine the DC surviving in the market these days (meaning last gen) with EA's multi-platform titles like Need for Speed Underground or Lord of the Rings and so on; the DC is too far behind in the technology stakes.

I can't believe I've posted twice already!

Comment

Only GFX advantage about the DC was fewer amounts of aliasing than early PS2 titles; but then it's games didn't have the high polygon counts seen in PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by Profit View Post
                            Only GFX advantage about the DC was fewer amounts of aliasing than early PS2 titles; but then it's games didn't have the high polygon counts seen in PS2.
                            The DC had much better texture handling than the PS2 (it's texture memory and hardware compression algorithms were excellent). It also could do loads and loads of transparency without a massive performance hit that was evident on the PS1 (and possibly PS2? I'm not sure as I'd left game development by the time PS2 dev kits were being rolled out en masse).

Comment

I wonder how much power Ferrari F355 used? ... I think it's the best looking DC game.

After F355 and Resident Evil:Code Veronica, I don't think any other devs were up to matching those efforts on visuals and overall quality. We never really saw any more games made by big-name teams after 2001.

Namco didn't try and better Soul Calibur. We never got to see what they could have done with the hardware if they had committed to a 2nd wave of AAA technical games.

The DC was a viable machine for a very short period. If you look at the best games realeased for it, you'll see how capable the machine was. MDK2, MSR, F355, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, RE:CV, AITD4, Guilty Gear etc.... These were first and second wave titles, and there must have been room to push the machine further.

It died young, so we'll never know. What a shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X