Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted this on gameFAQs without luck, so trying here.

Famicom platformer, very tall vertical jumps. Not Demon Sword, Legend of Kage, or Quest of Ki.

---
    I've spent the last couple of hours trawling YouTube videos and MobyGames, with no luck.

It's a Famicom exclusive game, not released outside Japan. Platformer with quite a small character, and the gimmick is you can jump insanely highly at rapid speed. As in 3 or 4 TV's worth of height in a single bound. The physics were kind of weird and floaty.

The levels were kind of maze like, so you'd walk a bit, then jump up a massive column / tunnel, to a platform, and walk along through a horizontal tunnel before finding the next gap you could jump up through. Tall and fast jumping, with weird floaty physics.

I recall lots of blue and white in the opening levels. I kinda want to say it had an ancient Greek style to it? Maybe? Or some kind of fantasy style with marble columns? I seem to think the main character was quite tiny compared to other games, but maybe I'm misremembering.

My memory is vague.

I thought it had either a II or 2 in the title, but deep searching the GoodNES archive yielded no positive results. I want to say Maze of Galious, but it's not that. I don't think. I feel like the name was quite poetic, or implied a great sense of adventure. It wasn't just "Jump Boy", it was more like "Battle of Olympus" or "Wing of Madoola". It conveyed mystery.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

---

Demon Sword is a very good guess, as would Legend of Kage, since they both have super tall screen-scrolling jumps. But it's definitely not them. The areas are too open - this was tall vertical jumping inside a maze.

It was more similar to Quest of Ki on Famicom, in that the environment was constrained. But it's definitely not Quest of Ki either - it just had similar weird jumping mechanics.

But there was lots of blue, I'm fairly confident of that.

Comment

From the jumping it sounds like Esper Bouken Tai, but in other ways, not so much!

Comment

Theres a game on Mega Drive where you have a dude with a whip. All I remember is that the end of level one you have to run back to the start while boulders are chasing you

Comment

Originally posted by HailMary View Post
          Theres a game on Mega Drive where you have a dude with a whip. All I remember is that the end of level one you have to run back to the start while boulders are chasing you
          Rick Dangerous?

Comment

Nah. The main character was modelled like one of them wooden figures they used to have on generation game

Comment

Originally posted by HailMary View Post
              That would be Earnest Evans.

Comment

Yes! That's the one. Cheers

Comment

Old Arcade Game I can't remember - help request please!?

Sorry one of those posts but this one has driven me nuts for a long time now. There's an old Arcade game and I can't remember what it was but would like to resolve this mystery.

I played it once at an arcade in the late 1980's, possibly very 1990 or 1991. However I'm reasonably certain this predates SF2, Virtua Fighter/Racing. Probably on holiday in Cornwall/Devon, or possibly Blackpool for what it's worth. Although I can't be certain on where and when.
                  • The game was essentially a top down 2D shooter, where you would take off and climb altitude. It had a mode 7-esk rotate the entire screen, sprite scaling effect. Lots of blue water below and white clouds. I think this was reflected in the attract mode.
                  • I think this sprite scaling also allowed the zooming in and out of the clouds as you descended.
                  • You would then find a ship or target (may have been islands, but more likely aircraft carriers) and descend to then start a 2D scroller shoot'em up. I cannot remember if is was a horizontal or vertical scroller at this point.
                  • I think the game was based on a helicopter but they is a chance it was a aeroplane.
                  • I don't think it was from one of the bigger arcade developers/publishers of the day. So pretty certain it isn't a Capcom or Sega game for example.
                  • It was a standing/upright cabinet.

Sorry to start this thread and I know this is vague and some of it might be my memory playing trick. It's been 30 years since I played this once.

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts on what it might be, please?

Thanks in advance for reading.
                  Last edited by Digfox; 06-05-2019, 11:49.

Comment

Whoops sorry - can a mod please move to name that game thread please?

Comment

Sounds very much like Desert War - but that was mid 90s....hmm.

Comment

Possibly Ajax by Konami?

Ajax is a single player shooter video game for Arcade, created and published by Konami in 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                          Sounds very much like Desert War - but that was mid 90s....hmm.
                          Ty for the suggestion. No unfortunately not. I've adjusted the years because there is a chance it was the early 90's but nothing this late. It also was much more blue and white than that.

Although that looks an interesting game.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                            Possibly Ajax by Konami?

https://www.uvlist.net/game-800-Ajax
                            I think that Baselay09 is right! Skip to 4:28 here:

Comment

That looks incredible for 1987! The talent at Konami was something else back then

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                Possibly Ajax by Konami?

https://www.uvlist.net/game-800-Ajax
                                That looks like it! Thank you!

It's wierd how your memory plays tricks. Apart from wrongly remembering who made the game, there is no screen rotation. But there is a carrier rotating on screen, a Jet and Helicopter in the game. And lots of white clouds so some of my memories were correct.

A game I haven't seen since that day.

Again apologies mods for mis-posting. Hopefully this can be merged. And again thank you for the help.
                                Last edited by Digfox; 06-05-2019, 12:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X