No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm I've never seen Shaolin Intruders, your post makes me want to order it.

I might order a bunch of Shaws from DDDHouse and YesAsia very soon, I know I shouldn't do it money wise, but I know I will.

Watched Drunken Master 2 last night. Hadn't seen it for many years. Anita Mui (RIP) was really irritating in the role of Wong Fei Hung's step mother, then again it wasn't her fault- I suppose it was probably written that way. Highlights were Lau Kar Leung's appearances (he was originally the director but left/was forced to leave the film) and the final fight with Ken Lo displaying some amazing leg work. I can't help but feel that the film is slightly overrated by many fans, although it is a good film but I hadn't seen it for a long time and rewatching it I thought it could've been better. Harsh, maybe. One of the reasons for me taking that view may be because I saw Eastern Condors and Pedicab Driver this week and following those outstanding films I thought Drunken Master 2 wasn't as good.

Comment

I really need to watch Drunken Master 2...

In other news, another successful order from yesasia. Once again, it seemed to take a good couple of weeks, but the IVL/Celestial region 3 dvd of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter I ordered for a Christmas present for someone arrived very well wrapped and in perfect condition.
      What a great quality disc! Cracking artwork, good extras, and super print quality.

Comment

The Mighty Four, aka Bruce Against the Odds, aka Lone Shaolin Avenger

Watched Christmas Day morning at 7am. Going to have to watch this again. Didn't really enjoy it, everything seemed sub-average. Even Casanova Wong couldn't save it. Uninteresting story, dodgy 'effects', poor script, terrible filming, uninteresting kung fu. Not a total write off, so I'll give it another shot later.

Comment

I re-watched Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx when it was on Sky the other day.

It's as cheesy as always, but there's some amazing fight sequences and the finale is bigger than I remember.

Comment

The Heroic Ones (Shaw Brothers)

Starring David Chiang, Ti Lung. Dir: Chang Cheh

The Iron Triangle brings us a 1970 epic set in an era of Mongol power struggles. A warlord's 13 sons (Generals) start to fragment and turn on each other as favouritism takes hold.

Really tough one to rate, this one, in the conventional sense. Basically, there isn't much kung fu. There's plenty of sword battles, but nothing high rank, just basher swordplay. No one-on-one epic battles either. No, this is more of an action epic, like the Hollywood films of the 50s and 60s in scope, with huge sets and hundreds of extras engaged in large battle scenes. No one is a good martial artist in this film, but there's a good level of aggression and intensity in the battles.

I really liked many aspects of this film. Everything was lavish and well filmed, and the cast lively and easy to watch. Other than a bizarrely brushed-under-the-carpet love interest section, the film is wall-to-wall action and high-power feasts. There are some very bloody moments, the end in particular was a shock.

As a kung fu film, it's just not, so avoid. As a historically-set epic, with plenty of action, then it's a very good watch. Unlike anything I've seen up to now, what it lacks in kung fu it makes up for in big battles.
            Last edited by prinnysquad; 29-12-2009, 23:31.

Comment

Hmm another Shaws film I haven't seen. I'm a fan of Ti Lung so wouldn't mind watching it although early 70s choreography isn't really my cup of tea.

Watched Prodigal Son today, the Sammo film starring Yuen Biao. Funny story (well to me) behind this one is that I had heard of this movie as being an all-time classic but the first time I saw it when it was shown on BBC2 in 97/98 I was quite disappointed. I think one reason might be that I had just seen Once Upon A Time In China (and just gotten into other new-wave flicks) and also perhaps I just wasn't in the mood when I watched it. I did wonder why so many people had rated it so I watched it again a few years later and loved it. The film starts off strong and is pretty much serious with occasional jokes but then loses a bit of pace when Sammo makes his appearance and injects his usual dose of comedy. Cracking film though and one I would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Comment

That's one's on the pile

Yeah Heroic Ones has no martial arts choreography to speak of, but plenty of large scale sword/spear fighting choreography. As long as you go into it expecting a slightly-overlong, battle filled romp, with no shapes or bashing, then you should enjoy.

The Unbeaten 28 turned up today, £2.78 off playtrade More Mark and Jack Long/ Joseph Kuo goodness.

Comment

Christmas haul! In different shapes and sizes

Last one is from that Jamal bloke in Germany who adds clearer dubbing and subs to the lesser-known films.

Comment

Fairly nice bunch my fave out of them would be Mad Monkey Kung Fu, although it's not Lau Kar Leung's best it is one of the few films where Hsiao Ho stars. Looks like you got the dubbed version which I like.

Human Lanterns is a pretty twisted story, well Lo Lieh as the villain is at least.

The last title surprised me, you moving onto the rares, Prinny?

Question for QualityChimp-what was that Police Story box set like that you purchased? I'm considering buying it and would appreciate your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post

The last title surprised me, you moving onto the rares, Prinny?
                      lol not really. I saw this jamal guy posting on kfcf and he'd included clips of his work on youtube. I liked the look of this one, so ... asked for it for Christmas!

Comment

rarekungfumovies.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, rarekungfumovies.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Interesting website, with loads for sale, but worth checking their claim to sell 'rare' dvds. Shaolin Kung Fu Mystagogue is on there for $20, but Shaolin Mystagogue (same film) is only about £6 imported on amazon, or alternatively a different name check brings up Shaolin Zen Master, a Vengeance Video release I've already got.

Damn alternative names are a minefield.

Comment

That's Falkor aka Giles site, there was a thread on KF Forums saying he take ages to post films out these days and I don't think he really bothers with the site anymore.

There used to be a site witha database of alternative names for films but I've forgotten the name.

Comment

Ah I see. The tangled web of usernames and real names weaves together, that Giles bloke is referenced in a recent thread on KF about the origin of the word 'basher'. Heh.

Shame if he's neglected it because there are some genuinely rare films there that I haven't even heard of, and it's always nice to have them in a proper case, rather than a folder full of dvd-rs.

I think I'm going to order a few IVL region 3 dvds off yesasia next. Titles that are too expensive on amazon. Still, at a tenner a shot, I'll be able to get a massive ONE a month, arrrggghhh!

Is this the site you were on about?

I seem to remember a discussion on KF forums about this (I think) being the original wherever-it-was university database that someone had compiled - it was relocated to this site.
                            Last edited by prinnysquad; 31-12-2009, 15:12.

Comment

Shaolin Invincible Sticks So many stand out moments of lol, been away from these flicks for too long
                              I swear one of the voice overs of the crazy young son, when kidnapping the girly was Zippy from Rainbow!

Comment

Shaolin Invinicble Sticks, I haven't seen that for over 10 years, I can't remember anything about it.

Yeah some of the voices are hilarious in the dubs, although I love the well done ones like the Shaws ones.

Prinny, that's not it, there was a site which is probably offline, you could type a film name in and it would give you all the alternative names for it. Very basic site but extremely useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X