No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished off my 88 Films Tiger Cage trilogy boxset with Tiger Cage III last night.

Basically, it's not top-tier because it's missing Donnie Yen and the story is awl o'er the shop, but it's got action scenes directed by Yuen Woo-ping, so worth a watch.

Not quite as luxurious a release as Armour of God or Righting Wrongs, but each disc has some extras and at least one commentary.
    I started rewatching this straight away with Phil Gillon's yack track, but realised I should probably go to bed!

Comment

I watched my 88Films release of Righting Wrongs, which is up there on the top-tier of 80s HK action, IMHO.

Film starts with Yuen Biao's character, a court barrister, walking out of court with a judge that vows to put away the mafia.
      However the Mafia have THREE assassins lined up to take him out - a sniper on a roof, a drive-by with an Uzi and an accordian player with a Magnum.

The judge gets got, but Biao ain't letting them get away with it - he opens fire with the Magnum, blasting out the window of their escape car, then he jumps into his car and gives chase.

They're powersliding around corners and driving down slopes whilst trading shots.

Finally, they drive off an open drawbridge and Biao shoots their car, which bursts into flames and crashes.
      He lands and slides to a stop, then shoots and blows up the car of Mafia thugs to a MASSIVE explosion.

I looked at my watch, something like 4 minute and 32 seconds had passed!
      All of this in the first five minutes!

Next scene sees a guy disguised as a cop call at an informant's flat.
      He shoots all the adults in the room with a silenced pistol, then closes the door on the bereft, wailing children and walks away.
      Then he's on the ground and he looks up at the flat, produces a detonator and BLOWS UP the flat with the children still in it!

Blimey!

This really doesn't pull any punches and nobody is safe. Nobody!

However, there are multiple cuts of this, including an "Ultimate Cut" that blends together all of the cut bits and adds them to a longer cut. Not only that, but you can either choose your ending or select "random"!

Loads of extras I've not fully explored yet, but I listened to some of the commentary on the Singapore cut.
      The majority of extras are on the other disc.

Other films have one or two standout sequences, but this has so many amazing fights and action sequences.

Rothrock is a beast in this (although she's doubled on a few trickier shots), just smashing up all the law-breaking scumbags that dare cross her.

You need some good enemies though, and this has some great battles.

Yuen Biao showing why he's one of the GOAT, with amazing acrobatics, fighting and stunts.
      It's really him in most shots and not only that, but does some of the stunt doubling for others! (Including Rothrock!)

There's a final battle in a hangar and it's rumoured that Sammo Hung did the uncredited action direction, which I can totally see as it uses his trademark shots.

Plus it has THIS kick:

This was a must-buy for me as the film is amazing, the discs are packed with extras and commentaries and comes presented with some lovely postcards, double-sided poster and a fact-filled booklet.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 28-06-2023, 09:02.

Comment

That sounds awesome!

Comment

Nice thoughts, Chumpy.

Are you going to get Lady Reporter?

Comment

That sounds so good dude!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              Nice thoughts, Chumpy.

Are you going to get Lady Reporter?
              I'm trying to watch a few discs I already own before getting any more.
              I have my eye on some Arrow discs first, though - sci-fi not Kung Fu (Fi not Fu?)

I'm hearing mixed reports about Lady Reporter, so I'll mentally add it to the "maybe" pile.

However, I absolutely love Cynthia Rothrock. She's a badass in everything she's in.
              I'm keeping an eye out for "Magic Pearl" with Richard Norton, which looks a bit bonkers.

If you're reading this thread, you have an interest in fight films and Righting Wrongs/Above The Law is one that needs to be checked out.

It just so happens that 88 Films have made a real effort with this collectors edition, like with the Armour of God set.

It's a perfect alignment of my love of Fu and physical media!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                Arrow are releasing a new Bruce Lee Golden Harvest box set!

Sounds very promising - https://www.avforums.com/reviews/bru...-review.20955/

Comment

Parcelfarce have somehow failed to find my house six times so my Bruce Lee box set has been returned to sender and Arrow have issued a refund. But it’s no longer available to buy so no Lee box set for me.

Comment

That is NOT badass. Terrible.

Like seemingly hundreds of other people, my set turned up damaged, thanks to the pathetic packaging. After a less-than-impressed email exchange, I’ve been given 15% of the value in vouchers. It’s a decent sop, but does not negate the fact I have a £125 premium collectors boxset that looks like a carboot pickup. How can they get this so, so wrong? The biggest release for 20 years and they’ve annoyed half of their target audience.

Comment

Errr…

Comment

So it’s turned up??

Comment

Yeah. I think Parcelfarce were at it and that was the first actual attempt at delivery. Anyway glad to have it. Contacted Arrow to see if they can halt the refund.

Comment

Bizarre. A huge relief, though!

Comment

It's honestly beyond ridiculous that Arrow don't pack these in styrofoam or similar.

Glad you got it though dude. I'm jel of the set.

Comment

I’ve actually noticed more bashes on my box today, in the proper light. It’s scandalous to put together such a good set, but skimp on packaging. It’ll put a lot of people off ordering from Arrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X