No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched drunken master for the first time about a week ago and loved it! probably my favourite jackie chan movie so far, though i have yet to watch any of the police stories.

the dvd i watched it on was interesting to say the least though. its a columbia tristar release and the disc is double sided with snake in the eagles shadow on the other side. the audio track for drunken master is hilarious. it randomly switches into an english dub for a scene at a time. best of all jackie chan's character sounds australian or something! snake in the eagles shadow managed to stick to cantonese the whole way through but im blatantly stole its soundtrack from a new hope and gallipoli.

Comment

The HKL dub:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Language NSFW, maybe
      Last edited by prinnysquad; 17-08-2009, 11:03.

Comment

Original dub

Final fight with original dub, not the crap DVD dub.

edit-that link for the HKL dub, it sounds quite good compared to most new dubs. A lot of people hate the new dubs though, and some just prefer the original dubs because that's what they grew up with.
        Last edited by monel; 18-08-2009, 14:52.

Comment

Is anybody going to see Ong Bak 2?

It's out at the cinema today (16th Oct) and should be a good fight fest.

It's had a really troubled time in production though. You probably know all about it if you're reading this thread!

I read a review in Impact Magazine liked it, but said it wasn't without its problems. It's an abrupt ending too, ready for the sequel, which'll use footage from this film that was in early trailers but didn't make the final cut.

All these things send alarm bells, but the prospect of Tony Jaa flying around the big screen is such a tempting proposition, I might still be swayed!

Comment

Probably a dvd effort I think. Doubtlessly it'll have good fights, but I'm quite tight this month, so a 20 quid trip to the flicks in a no-go

Watched Snuff Bottle Connection last night, with John Liu and Hwang Jang Lee.
            A good film this one, the print was terrible but the quality of the story and fighting shone through. After weeks of watching kung fu flicks where the story seemed to serve the fighting, it was nice to see a film where the fights where built around the story. All about spies and political intrigue, this film had some very enjoyable action scenes, featuring shapes, brawling and weapons. Some guys had swords on the end of chains ... hello God of War!

Comment

Also watched The Mystery of Chess Boxing recently. Nice to see Simon Yuen in a film, his sequences in the kitchen were great. Apparently he was only hired for something like a day's filming, but they got good mileage out of him.

Frankly, Mark Long's kung fu was lovely to watch. As the Ghost Face Killer, he had such an effortlessly fluid style, quite unlike anything else I've seen up to now. I'm not saying he's the greatest ever or anything, just in this film his moves are so, so smooth. Jack Long was excellent too.

Really, really enjoyed this.

Also have to give a massive, massive thumbs up to Rebellious Reign. Story heavy, but full of good fights, this is a truly excellent genre film. The end fight in particular is beautifually choreographed and engaging to watch, as well as being quite brutal, with blood spraying everywhere. Quite a downbeat ending, but nevertheless an easy 9/10 from me, and in my top ten kung fu flicks watched so far.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Is anybody going to see Ong Bak 2?

It's out at the cinema today (16th Oct) and should be a good fight fest.

It's had a really troubled time in production though. You probably know all about it if you're reading this thread!

I read a review in Impact Magazine liked it, but said it wasn't without its problems. It's an abrupt ending too, ready for the sequel, which'll use footage from this film that was in early trailers but didn't make the final cut.

All these things send alarm bells, but the prospect of Tony Jaa flying around the big screen is such a tempting proposition, I might still be swayed!
                I was disappointed with Ong Bak 2 - perhaps my expectations were too high but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original.

The whole time I was watching it for some reason it reminded me of bloodsport! Go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  in my top ten kung fu flicks watched so far.
                  Out of curiosity, what would that be, mate? Might be some gems I've missed as you really seem to know your kung-fu onions.

Hey, isn't a kung-fu onion Master Chop Chop?

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

worth a look there

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                      I dunno how good the HKL dub is but there is no way they can top the original dub. I think there are no dvd releases of the original Drunken Master or Snake In The Eagles Shadow dubs unless it's a bootleg.

One good way of hearing the classic dubs is by picking up the original Made In Hong Kong VHS releases.

Still, a great film and if I can track my old tape down I might watch this asap.
                      Still have both of these on VHS in the loft... will need to dig out the old video deck too while I'm up there!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                        I second Shaolin Soccer. I watched it when it first came out, its bloody hilarious.
                        Another vote for Shaolin Soccer, bought it on DVD when it came out, love it. Made loads of my (non-kung-fu) mates sit through it and watch it, all enjoyed.

Bloody love Kung-Fu Hustle too, the one bit where his mate throws knives, and they stick in his shoulder? ahh, I'm in tears laughing so hard. Brilliant!

In fact, most of Stephen Chow's movies are great. Not all out violence, good humour, if you like Jackie Chan's 80s stuff, you'll dig Stephen Chow.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Out of curiosity, what would that be, mate? Might be some gems I've missed as you really seem to know your kung-fu onions.
                          lol, I'll level with you here. I'm the newest n00b on the block in this genre. I must have watched about 30 flicks in total. The top 10 is very much a work in progress, and I guarantee that half the stuff in it will be very tame compared to the many classics I haven't watched. What I can offer is some leftfield choices and/or oddities that take up the slots up to now.

So, with a sense of trepidation...
                          (no order)
                          Drunken Master
                          Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
                          Hellz Windstaff
                          Rebellious Reign
                          Duel of the Seven Tigers
                          Chinese Connection (Fist of Fury)
                          8 Diagram Pole Fighter
                          One Armed Boxer 2
                          Shaolin vs Lama
                          South Shaolin vs North Shaolin

Bubbling under... Snuff Bottle Connection, Shaolin Temple 4, Shaolin Invincible Sticks, Fist of the White Lotus, Hitman in the Hand of Buddha, Ten Tigers of Shaolin, Method Man, Invincible Armour.

I watch one every week, so I'll probably keep posting updates on the some of the cheapies (and most of them are) I have.
                          Last edited by prinnysquad; 18-10-2009, 11:40.

Comment

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Gorgeous yet. A quality Jackie Chan film!

Comment

Thanks, Prinny. There's quite a few in that list I need to take down!

I've never seen Gorgeous for some reason. I think it's because there's more romance than fighting in it and it's a rrrrubbish name!

Eastyy, that Jackie top ten fights list is a painful reminder of all the Hong Kong Legends DVDs I should have bought when they were cheap. Now they're all about £30 for the good versions with Bey Logan's commentaries on them.

D'oh!

Comment

It was mentioned on here earlier, but if you've not seen it yet, Ip Man gets a UK release on the 26th of October.

I think it's a little liberal with the truth, but there's some brilliant Sammo Hung-choreographed fight scenes in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X