No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another leftfield source for prints is the University of Wisconsin. They have several rare prints on 16 and 35mm, such as Carter Wong’s 1980 film Mr Kwangtung and the Robber, a 1968 Cathay film called Smiling Swordsman and another from 1969 called The Royal Seal. You can book months in advance to go and watch them, but they refuse to entertain the idea of copies due to copyright concerns.

Comment

I haven't seen it for ages but Dreadnaught always disappointed me. Maybe because Biao is scared to Death and doesn't want to fight. Although it does have those memorable moments like the clothes drying scene and the Wong Fei Hung vs tailor bit. They were both featured in The Best of the Martial Arts or Cinema of Vengeance. Maybe I should watch it again.

Prinny I met a Chinese guy a while back and he said there's some streaming channel probably on Android that shows a lot of films. Can't remember and it's probably mostly just Shaws.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        I haven't seen it for ages but Dreadnaught always disappointed me. Maybe because Biao is scared to Death and doesn't want to fight. Although it does have those memorable moments like the clothes drying scene and the Wong Fei Hung vs tailor bit. They were both featured in The Best of the Martial Arts or Cinema of Vengeance. Maybe I should watch it again.
        Dreadnaught is amazing and I love the Monkey Pole fight sequence (such utter skill shown by Yuen Mole) and love the fan fight sence with
        the late and great Lam Ching Ling

Comment

Watched the Odd Couple and my GOD I forgotten what a classic it was too. Sammo shows off his weapon skills, no one could touch Sammo when it came to skill and masterly of weapon fighting, in Kung Fu Films

Comment

I posted a link to Cinema of Vengeance before I think but this is The Best of the Martial Arts. It's from the vhs so is full screen I'm sure there's a wide screen dvd too now. It was good back in the days because it features a lot of Golden Harvest classics. Just the fights and some interviews. Thought someone might like it.

Last edited by monel; 30-08-2018, 00:49.

Comment

The Night Comes For Us

Not sure if this is elsewhere (Netflix thread), but the new film with Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim from The Raid is coming to Netflix on October 19th. Not sure if that's US-only though.

It's got the same director as Headshot, Timo Tjahjanto, which is also on Netflix and is really good!

Reviews from Fantastic Fest are good, but it's supposed to be pretty brutal, not unlike Headshot in places.

Comment

Had my mate over on Saturday who's a guru on Fu films.
                He's seen loads more than me and met some of the greats and even worked on a couple of Segal films, which always makes for a great anecdote afterwards!

We watched Chasing The Dragon on Netflix, which stars Donnie Yen playing against type as a drug dealer and Andy Lau as a corrupt cop teaming up to control Hong Kong's drug market.

It's Directed by Wong Jing, who did the likes of City Hunter and God of Gamblers.

There's loads of twists and turns along the way, but only a smattering of action if that's what you're expecting.
                It's OK, but it's kinda hard to feel bad for corrupt cops and drug dealers when bad things happen to them.
                It probably could have been a bit shorter as it felt quite long.

From Wikipedia:
                "Director Wong Jing personally flew to Canada in 2016 to persuade Yen to star in his film Chasing the Dragon, while Yen was filming xXx: The Return of Xander Cage at that time. Yen was convinced by Wong's sincerity, playing a non-traditional role of a villain with limited fighting scenes and the opportunity to work alongside Andy Lau. Yen flew back to Asia to take part in the film after filming xXx in 2016.

In September 2017, Chasing the Dragon was released to mixed reviews from critics. Chasing the Dragon was also a huge hit with audiences in most Mandarin-speaking parts of Asia (including China, Singapore and Hong Kong), beating Hollywood blockbuster Blade Runner 2049 and Jackie Chan's The Foreigner, despite being marketed less heavily than the two films. In Hong Kong, Chasing the Dragon earned more than 10 times of the box office gross of The Foreigner, and is ranked one of the top 5 highest-grossing Hong Kong films in 2017. Chasing the Dragon earned US$86 million in China."

Comment

Reading a couple of good titles at the moment.

Ask for the Moon by Meredith Lewis. This is about Shaw Brothers studio, and how their business model, combined with the innovations of their contracted filmmakers, led to their amazing success.

Re-Enter the Dragon by Stewart Home. This is about the Bruceploitation genre. The exploitation films, the lookalikes, the trading from the name - it’s all here. His opinions are quite controversial and very cutting (he hates Bruce Li), but it’s a great resource.

Father, Son, Sword by Tom Mes - really super little tome about the Lone Wolf and Cub films, produced by Arrow books.
                  Last edited by prinnysquad; 28-10-2018, 22:06.

Comment

Watched a couple of decent flicks.

Budo Wing (1979) which is about a butcher who teams up with a fishmonger to take on a local boss after clashing with his minions. It’s all pretty lame in terms of comedy and pacing, but there are some things to enjoy. The fights are ok, and it’s one of those films where the big bad is STILL the best fighter despite all the training the good guys receive from a master. They just happen to use the numbers game to take him down.

The Bastard (1973), a Shaw flick about a guy who is raised by a kindly master after being abandoned as a child. He tries to discover his true parentage. This is more melodrama than kung fu, but there’s some good stuff at various points. It feels like a mid-level Shaw, but the production values are classic.

Comment

My friend recommended The Night Comes... But I don't really trust his opinion. That Donnie Yen film sounds good although I'd prefer more action. Wong Jing made some great films and is probably one of the most successful directors over there but his stuff is mainstream so he doesn't really get critical acclaim in the West. He's a bit of a perve, too.

I saw Ip Man 3 after all this time and it was OK. Better than the second film but I would say only the first film is really quality. The third one had a few weird moments where characters seemed to levitate backwards during fights in a completely unnatural way. I like wire fu films so it's not realism I'm complaining about but just the way it was done.

I remembered some of the films Prinny sent me but out of the loads he sent me i lost almost every single one. I would rather watch most of them than my own collection lol.

Prinny that film you mentioned is that the one about Butcher Wing, Wong Fei Hung's student? The same guy Sammo plays in Magnificent Butcher? I think I had it on a disc as part of a double feature.

I've had a film yuen biao choreographed on my watch list for years but haven't watched it yet. I forget the name right now it's set in older times but the fights look good.

Oh yeah, I met someone who told me of a film called one pee man. He said it was the most amazing kung fu film. Took me a while to guess he meant Ip Man.
                      Last edited by monel; 27-11-2018, 09:21.

Comment

Always nice to hear from you, [MENTION=11673]shinobi7000[/MENTION]. I hope you're keeping well.

The Night Comes For Us was pretty good. There's a few tropes like characters are invincible until the plot needs a dramatic turn.
                        Mainly, it's probably favours gore over action and it gets a little silly. We're talking horror film levels of gore.

I preferred Headshot, which was also gory, but by being more sparing with it, had a better impact.

Worth seeing though, if you're braced for a lot of gore!

I saw One Pee Man () in 3D at the cinema and thought it worked really well in the medium, but it's a shame no home release has been 3D. I thought it was a nice end, but I guess the lure of more cash has got more people involved. Can't wait to see Donnie face off against Scott Adkins though!

After my mate came to visit and watch Chasing the Dragon, he went off to Asia to do some film work and ended up on a film with Mark Dacascos! So jealous!
                        He even got a cameo as a henchman and got dispatched by him, even more jealous!
                        He said Mark was absolutely lovely and just finished work on John Wick Chapter 3 and absolutely kicks Keanu's arse in it.

BD EXCLUSIVE NEWS!

Comment

Thanks QC, I always miss this forum after a while and this thread was always interesting to me for years. That's interesting about your friends work and the exclusive news you're sharing here. My friend knew somebody who did personal security for some kung fu star years ago... Might have come across other people loosely related to the industry but can't recall anything. Another friend had met and was acquaintances with some famous martial artists but they weren't involved in the film industry as far as I know.

Oh yeah Donnie Yen and Carter Wong visited Birmingham on separate occasions in the past with the former being quite young at the time I think. I never knew and was probably quite young and me and a friend were supposed to go to a kung fu actresses signing locally during our school days but I probably went to the arcades instead.
                          Last edited by monel; 27-11-2018, 12:32.

Comment

I received the Once Upon A Time in China Blu-ray box set the other day. They’ve done a great job remastering these films. The picture is so much better with much more detail and more realistic colour than before. Audio choices are plentiful but ultimately it’s best to stick to the mono Cantonese track for authenticity. The subtitles have been revised too with changes like Buck Tooth So now being called Toothbrush So? And, especially in the first film, a surprising amount of f-bombs.
                            Loads of extras in the set too including a 2k remaster of Once Upon A Time in China and America.

Comment

One never have enough Chan The MAN

Comment

New Announcement!

WHEELS ON MEALS, the spectacular, non-stop action comedy starring Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao, will be presented from a brand new 2K restoration for the first time ever on Blu-ray in the UK as part of the Eureka Classics range on 18 March 2019. Available with a Limited Edition slipcase and booklet [4000 copies ONLY]. Available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon https://amzn.to/2SRxbWY Zavvi http://po.st/2bO9J2

From a brand new 2K restoration comes perhaps the greatest martial-arts comedy of all time, Sammo Hung’s WHEELS ON MEALS, starring Hung, Jackie Chan, and Yuen Biao as the most exciting triple act in action movie history!

Fast food chefs Thomas (Chan) and David (Biao) find themselves cooking up trouble when detective Moby (Hung) involves them in the case of a missing heiress. The three friends need all of their daring and physical dexterity when they find themselves facing a triple helping of danger.

Also starring Lola Forner (ARMOUR OF GOD) and Benny “The Jet” Urquidez (DRAGONS FOREVER), who faces off against Chan in an incredible fight sequence that is legendary amongst martial-arts film fans, WHEELS ON MEALS has to be seen to be believed. Eureka Classics is extremely proud to present this iconic piece of action cinema on Blu-ray for the first time ever in the UK!

"an absolutely splendid martial arts comedy showcasing its entire cast in the midst of their primes”– Kung Fu Kingdom

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
                                Limited edition slipcase [4000 copies ONLY] | Stunning 1080p presentation from a brand new 2K restoration | Optional English subtitles | Original Cantonese audio track, available in both original mono (LPCM) and newly restored DTS-HD MA 5.1 | Optional English audio from the film’s international release, featuring an alternate (and much funkier) soundtrack, available in both original mono and 5.1 | Alternate English dub track from the films 2006 DVD release (available in 5.1 only) | New and Exclusive audio option - a custom audio option featuring the original Cantonese dialogue track, but mixed with the alternate soundtrack from the international release | On Giant’s Shoulders – An archival interview with Sammo Hung [7 mins] | An additional archival interview with Sammo Hung [10 mins] | Born to Fight – An archival interview with Yuen Biao [15 mins] | Jet Fighter – An archival interview with kickboxing champion and martial-artist Benny “The Jet” Urquidez” [28 mins] | King of the Ring – An archival interview with martial-artist Keith Vitali [33 mins] | The Inside Track – An archival interview with director and action choreographer Stanley Tong [34 mins] | Spartan X Alternate Credits – The original Japanese version of Wheels on Meals featured these alternate “blooper reel” credits which would later become a traditional feature of films starring Jackie Chan (can be viewed isolated or as part of the main feature) | Additional Outtake footage [4 mins] | Original Theatrical Trailer | International Release Trailer | Original Japanese “Spartan X” trailer | PLUS: A Limited Edition Collector’s Booklet featuring a new essay by James Oliver [4000 copies ONLY]

WHEELS ON MEALS (Eureka Classics) Blu-ray [with Limited Edition Slipcase & Booklet] available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon https://amzn.to/2SRxbWY Zavvi http://po.st/2bO9J2

Comment

Working...
                                X