Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

I love a good Kung-Fu flick, me!

I like to read Impact magazine and keep an eye on most action films, but has anybody seen a good Kung-Fu/action film of late?

I quite liked SPL with Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen and Dragon Tiger Gate, again with Donnie Yen (loving them nunchukas!). City of Violence was another good 'un, if a little like Kill Bill at the end.

Of course, Ong-Bak was pretty eye-popping in places!

Anybody seen any of these or can suggest any others that I may have missed?

Yeah spl is fun, great knife fight and wwf style fight at the end!

Exiled is a pretty good recentish action yarn from johnnie to - its the third in the Election series which are great but maybe not quite action/kung fu. Fulltime killer and the mission are worth a punt as well.

The proper cut of fearless is great but Im guessing you've seen that.

Random classics I like are iron monkey/fist of legend/once upon a time in china/kung fu hustle/hero/last hurrah for chivalry etc etc not sure if they are strictly kung fu movies though...but hey!
    Last edited by rossman; 10-07-2007, 16:30.

Comment

Warrior King is also worth watching for some more cray-zee Tony Jaa Elbow and Knee action - although please bear in mind that story is even worse than the one in Ong Bak!

Love the fight in the temple though with the guy who fights like Eddie from Tekken (Capoeira style)!

And the end fight is like something out of Streets of Rage with the massive blokes getting all bent outta shape by quick lil Tony

I also love Drunken Master 2 - still pretty hard to get hold of though

Comment

ooh and the fong sai yuk movies of course!

Comment

Check out Fatal Contact if your after something that's new and loaded with some great fight scenes.

Comment

Check out Prodigal Son, and the first two shaolin temple movies, and Swordsman 2 - that one's chuffin nuts

Comment

At first, I thought Fatal Contact was the film about bird flu, but apparently there's an action film by the same name! Will try and source that one out.

Anybody seen Death List? I'd quite like to check it out, but it looks pretty cheap...

Swordsman II may get a viewing too. It makes me think of Zipang for some reason. That's got a fantastic opening.

I miss OutThere on Channel 5, that had snippets of some bonkers Kung-Fu action.

Another fave of mine is Drive with Mark Dacoscos - anybody else seen it?

Comment

is this the fatal conflict you mean?

A disgraced ex-pilot (Kari Wuhrer) gets a chance to atone for her past by preventing a hijacked spacecraft from crashing into Los Angeles.

it sounds godawful, I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                  Warrior King is also worth watching for some more cray-zee Tony Jaa Elbow and Knee action - although please bear in mind that story is even worse than the one in Ong Bak!

Love the fight in the temple though with the guy who fights like Eddie from Tekken (Capoeira style)!

And the end fight is like something out of Streets of Rage with the massive blokes getting all bent outta shape by quick lil Tony

I also love Drunken Master 2 - still pretty hard to get hold of though

Drunken Master 2 can be got here. It's now called Legend of the Drunken Master. Problem is - it has been dubbed into english, but at least Jackie Chan does his own voice. Also, a complete musical underscore has been written afresh for this version. It's good.

New Police Story is worth checking out (see Police Story 1, 2, and 3 first - they are all great) - although this one has a ropey plotline about Terrorist Gamers who use their rich parents money to rebel against the governmental system, the fights are great.
                  Last edited by Widegoat; 12-07-2007, 12:16. Reason: My spelling is a disgrace.

Comment

The Once Upon a Time in China trilogy is fantastic - just got it last month for my birthday!

Both Tony Jaa movies for bone-crunching action.

The Seven Swords is really good, came out here last year I think. Worth picking up.

Comment

I might be stretching the definition here, but I saw Shaolin Soccer recently and it's brilliant. It's on Film4 reasonably often and it only about ?5 on DVD, and it's a comedy about a group of kung fu masters using their mystic abilities to beat 'Team Evil' in a football tournament and promote kung fu to the world. Pure genius.

Just make sure to watch the Cantonese version and not the English one. Not only was it dubbed, they cut about 30 minutes out and gave it a rap soundtrack.

Comment

Rob B Hood

New-ish Jackie Chan film, a return to the classic style chinese comedy style martial arts film, it's really good ^_^

Comment

and theres some more wilson yip/donnie yen action coming in the form of Flash Point.

looks pretty harsh
                          Last edited by rossman; 13-07-2007, 12:15.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Another fave of mine is Drive with Mark Dacoscos - anybody else seen it?
                            Yep, have it on DVD here. Some of the set pieces are very good indeed... and I think the second film I saw with Brittany Murphy in it

(after Clueless... strange huh?)
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Reading dvdmike's new thread about ninja assassin got me wondering if there was a proper kung fu thread on here. It seems that there is and that it's criminally underused.

So, has anyone picked up any decent kung fu flicks recently? I've been buying a few (or 50 - no ****) recently, mainly mega cheapies from amazon, play and wherever else. I've got a fondness for the Vengeance Video range - really cheap, crappy transfers with terrible dubbing and absolutely no frills, but loads of these films seem impossible to get otherwise. Last two fridays, and watching surprisingly enjoyable efforts such as South Shaolin and North Shaolin (Casanova Wong), Duel of Seven Tigers (Phillip Ko) and One Armed Boxer 2, with a couple of beers before a PES session, has beeen excellent!

My collection now stands at about 60 films, all to watch on Friday nights. I think a little ratings book is needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X