Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers. I will investigate!

Comment

Lots of interesting facts I didn’t know. For example - he has Jewish ancestry.

There’s fascinating angles within. He’s placed within the context of being an immigrant trying to make it big in Hollywood. He tried to be inclusive - his were the first schools in the US which accepted students regardless of ethnicity. However, he was doomed to be sidelined as an Asian stereotype. James Coburn and Steve McQueen told him this, and they were his friends. He was too ‘Asian’ to be a big star, yet in HK for a time it was feared that he was too ‘American’ to be a true success. This caused Lee a lot of anguish.

A very breezy and illuminating read.

Comment

There's an audiobook too, so I may track that down.

Comment

It also clarifies what happened in Lee’s infamous fight against Wong Jack Man.

Comment

That book sounds good. Does it mention his wife? She seems to authorise a lot of dodgy stuff in his name. Also QC, I didn't even know there was an SPL 3. That fight you posted the gif for from the original is a highlight of the film.

Prinny, I had everything in storage and it was some friends who put it away for me. I moved it out of storage but can't find most of the films you sent me. I've spotted 21 Red List but none of the others. I did lose a lot of my own stuff but I'm going to check some other time.

Off topic but I'm watching Masters of the Universe. It's got Dolph Lundgren as the star so maybe I can sneak it into this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
              That book sounds good. Does it mention his wife? She seems to authorise a lot of dodgy stuff in his name. Also QC, I didn't even know there was an SPL 3. That fight you posted the gif for from the original is a highlight of the film.

Prinny, I had everything in storage and it was some friends who put it away for me. I moved it out of storage but can't find most of the films you sent me. I've spotted 21 Red List but none of the others. I did lose a lot of my own stuff but I'm going to check some other time.

Off topic but I'm watching Masters of the Universe. It's got Dolph Lundgren as the star so maybe I can sneak it into this thread.
              Dude, have a look on my Asian DVD Club list and if there's anything you want again, I can rehost or burn or whatever.

Comment

Thank man, that's very kind of you but I can't even remember half the titles! I don't want to put you through the bother, either. I've got about ten or twelve boxes to go through.

Glad to see this thread is still alive.

Comment

The Kung fu flame hath not extinguish.

I cant remember what I sent you tbh Shinobi. My stuff is scattered all over too.

Although my poster collection is in one place. Around 700 and counting.

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested Eureka / Masters of Cinema also recently released a new Blu-ray version of Iron Monkey. It's available now. I've ordered that too.

Comment

Just dipping in when I get chance in between the zillion other distractions!

I have Hard Target 2, Ice Man Cometh and Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon on my "next" list.

Comment

I love the 90s Iron Monkey. I have the original dub somewhere too but never watched that version. The old school Iron Monkey has some memorable moments for me like the training scenes but I prefer the 90s one.

QC I guess you mean those are your next purchases because I'm thinking you've seen them already. You really need to see Licence to Steal. Forget the exact spelling of that. The car park scene is brilliant. Yuen Biao's character is obsessed with martial comics books or novels and is the closest he's ever played a character to his Wheels on Meals role.

Also Lau Kar Leung's Lady is the Boss is a brilliant film with an 80s vibe and has a great cast with a nice final showdown. Really recommend it.

700 posters? Wow I wonder how much time and money that collection took. You just can't stop collecting things, hehe.
                        Last edited by monel; 09-07-2018, 21:53.

Comment

I got Iron Monkey free with Crouching Tiger, so it was a no-brainer to get the pair at the time.
                          It's OK, but I doubt I'll double dip.
                          I'm still thinking about the Eureka Police Story double-bill, when I already have both.

I have those three films already, Shinobi.
                          I got Iceman from eBay and Hard Target 2 for my birthday. Haven't seen either yet.
                          Fatty Dragon I wanted to rewatch after someone posted clips on Facebook.

I actually get confused between that and Pantyhose Hero and Burger Cop! The first two because they both feature great fights in construction sites.

Comment

I'll check out your other recommendations as you've not steered me wrong yet.

If there's anything I can do to help, just shout.

Keep a lookout for some Kung Fu cinema. The Mockingbird Cinema have some good stuff.

They're showing Big Trouble in Little China in Friday, for example. They did a Q&A session with Scott Adkins and showed Accident Man at Easter.

Comment

Thank you. I made a mistake earlier, the Biao role I meant to say was Dragons Forever, not Wheels on Meals. I like it when he plays slightly unhinged or neurotic characters.

Comment

Hmm. The note of 4k DIs for the Police Story movies are making me hold off for a UHD release.

Imagine a newly remastered Drunken Master set or a OUATIC boxset.......

Comment

Working...
                                X