Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/zu-w...-shan-jian-ke/

Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain [Xin shu shan jian ke] (Blu-ray)
    Director: Tsui Hark
    Stars: Biao Yuen
    1983 Hong Kong
    Action, Adventure, Fantasy

£17.99
    Release Date: 20th April 2020

SPECIAL FEATURES
    • Limited Edition O-CARD with new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 units]
    • Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film [2000 units]
    • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a brand new 2K restoration
    • Cantonese, Mandarin, and English soundtrack options, original monaural presentations
    • Newly translated English subtitles
    • Brand new and exclusive feature length audio commentary by critic and Asian cinema expert Tony Rayns
    • Brand new and exclusive interview with Tsui Hark – a lengthy and in-depth interview with director Tsui Hark filmed in 2020 exclusively for this release
    • Zu: Time Warrior [93 mins] – the export cut of the film produced for European theatres, featuring a wraparound segment with Yuen Biao as a modern-day college student who is transported, Wizard of Oz style, to 10th Century China
    • Tsui Hark – episode of Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show originally aired on British television in 1989
    • Alternate opening credits, restored to their original Western presentation
    • Archival Interview with Yien Biao [12 mins]
    • Archival Interview with Mang Hoi [20 mins]
    • Archival interview with Moon Lee [20 mins]
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Trailers
    Awesome news

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Mr Vampire was shown on Channel 4 before then . I remember quite a few of us taking about the film in school in 1992. CH 4 did a small season of Kung Fu films back then, including stuff like Armour or GOD . I loved it as the the 1st time, the film's were shown in their correct ratio and with the Chinese Dub.
      I think Zu Warriors was 94, Channel 4 showed a bunch of Jackie Chan's in 90 or 91, can't remember exactly. BBC 2 showed Prodigal Son and some others in 97, Channel 4 also showed Fong Sai Yuk and Once upon a time in China around then. Probably other random ones as well, not including satellite (I know Sky showed the John Woo films mid 90s). The most fun was the VHS releases starting mid 90s, some of those companies I've never really found out much about.

I realised I spelt his name wrong before, Prinny - Crystal Fist and Fistful of Talons have been released sourced from cinema reels, probably the best they've ever been.
      Last edited by monel; 31-01-2020, 22:23.

Comment

That’s good news. I’ve got a cracking Crystal Fist poster in super condition.

Comment

Definitely getting Zu it’s a cracking film.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
            I think Zu Warriors was 94, Channel 4 showed a bunch of Jackie Chan's in 90 or 91.
            Yeah, it was a season of stuff in 1991 and 1992. I only can really remember it, because in school I was talking of the USA launch of the SEGA CD at the time too. I set the wrong time on my VHS to tape the film, thanfully a school mate did and was able to copy it

I was really surprised at how many of my form mates in school (both male and female) really enjoyed Mr Vampire and some of them, not Kung Fu Fans at all. It's a shame that the planned USA version (with Yuen Wah in the lead role) was never made

Comment

Foxtrot Six:

Comment

Comment

Can't see the tweet at all... Is Prinny OK, he hasn't posted.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                    Can't see the tweet at all... Is Prinny OK, he hasn't posted.
                    Prinny is as OK as he'll ever be!

"This collection brings together the five films that define the Lee legend: furiously exciting fist-fliers propelled by his innovative choreography, unique martial-arts philosophy, and whirlwind fighting style."

The Big Boss
                    Way of the Dragon
                    Enter the Dragon
                    Game of Death
                    Fist of Fury

Comment

Looks awesome. Are Criterion selling region free Blu-ray these days?

Comment

That does look cool.

Sadly [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION], their Blu-Rays are region locked hopefully they will issue this boxset on region B at some point.

Comment

I'm not knocking any release, but Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li films keep getting released time and again. So many films have no decent release. Even well known ones. The lesser known ones hardly sell so it's a difficult situation. You see some fans hooking up their gear and mentioning subs are 100th of a milisecond off, or the shade of blue is slightly green if you have T1000 vision.

Comment

It would be good to see less popular releases put together in compilations and maybe brign them to a wider audience. You could have stuff like the best of Shaw Brothers and pick the best 3 or 4 films from that year for a box set. I suppose it depends of the cost of obtaining the rights and the cost of remastering those films.

Comment

I like that idea. Some years you’d have some very tough choices to make!

Comment

Class story about a film from Singapore.

Ring of Fury ISN’T a biopic of FamMYDODd’s bedroom proclivities. It IS a 1973 film that sought to capitalise on the popularity of The Big Boss.

From a site called The Last Word...

In 1973, two directors that went by the names of James Sebastian and Tony Yeow decided to cash in on the kung fu and martial arts movie craze. This led them to write and co-direct Singapore’s first and only Kung Fu action film. Promptly after it's release, the film was banned in Singapore mainly because, at the time, Singapore was trying hard to clean up its public image and “Ring Of Fury” definitely didn’t help.

In the 70’s Singapore struggled with problems such as a high crime rate and the rise of gang relatedy violence, and the release of a film about a man fighting a very dangerous and evil gang that attacked shop owners and burnt down houses would only help reinforce this negative image of the country. So Singapore swiftly had the film banned even after the director edited out many scenes just to please the censors. Due to the fact that the film was never released the directors gave the film reels as payment to the lead actor of the film who was also a local martial arts teacher named Peter Chong. The film reel sat in Mr.Chong’s fridge for over thirty years before the it was allowed to be shown to the general public. Soon after the Asian Film Archive contacted Mr.Chong and acquired the reel so they could restore it 4K. The film reel was unrestorable until it was sent to a special lab in Portugal for restoration.”

You can now watch it on YouTube and see what an amazing job the restorers have done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y8QOPm...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by prinnysquad; 17-05-2020, 14:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X