This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonny View Post
    Several, 3 ... That's the same thing right?!
    Ha! If only!!

For perspective, I was able to install iOS14 (released by Apple last week) on my five year old iPhone 6s. That is what I would class as several years of support.

I defy you to show me an Android smartphone from 2015 that can run an official build (NOT a custom ROM) of Android 11. I'll wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      It's definitely three years max with Pixel, and that's pushing the boat out by Pixel standards when literally every other Android OEM offer two years max at best.
      Google seem to disagree: https://support.google.com/pixelphon...57705?hl=en-GB - but as you say, even then it's better than most Android handdsets.

I loved the Nexus phones beforehand and I enjoyed using the Pixel 2 I had before (should've kept it in hindsight). I love Pixel software but the hardware has left a lot to be desired. Google should be nailing it, especially given the premium prices they charge for it, but they're not.
      I got my 3XL as a "factory refurb" for cheap (it was was just an open box item in actuality), so I didn't pay anywhere near retail - I just can't bring myself to spend £800-1000+ on a phone when I know they have a good chance of getting smashed, lost or stolen (or a combination of the three). I suppose if there was one thing I didn't like about the 3XL when I first got it, it was the massive notch at the top, but I don't really notice it that much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        Google seem to disagree: https://support.google.com/pixelphon...57705?hl=en-GB - but as you say, even then it's better than most Android handdsets.
        Minimum really isn't a guarantee of more than, and given the entire history of Android fragmentation I'm more than willing to bet you that Pixels 2 to 4 won't be seeing a fourth year of major official updates - it's pretty telling that the LineageOS custom ROM now offers support for the entire current Pixel line imo, but we'll see.

All of that said, I do believe that Google are in the middle of developing their own SoC so that they can actually offer longer update support for their devices. Time will tell.

Comment

Oh I agree, it's not a guarantee (as Google state), but it does say minimum, not maximum. I wouldn't expect greater support than that, it was just a pleasant surprise to see an Android 10 update on the Pixel XL the same time it appeared on my 3XL last year.

I haven't looked into installing custom ROMs on any phone recently as I've not really felt the need to since I had the Sony Z2. I might look into seeing whether it's a faff or not on the Pixel - the last phone I ran a custom OS on was the Galaxy SIII (that phone ended up suffering from bit rot on one of the boot partitions and went boot loop crazy).

Comment

I just can't bring myself to spend £800-1000+ on a phone when I know they have a good chance of getting smashed, lost or stolen (or a combination of the three).
            Totally understandable, and the financial ramifications of the pandemic will surely mean that smartphone makers are going to have to reassess how they do things given that people aren't really going to be in a position to spend nearly £1k on premium smartphones any more.

FWIW, The P4XL is likely the last premium Android device I'm purchasing. Not going to get into the Android vs. iOS debate but too much of Android isn't geared to providing premium value for premium money imo.

iPhones may not be as sophisticated software-wise (which is debatable) but they definitely leave Android devices trailing in terms of quality hardware and ecosystem and user support.

Comment

I can appreciate Apple's designs, but I can't get onboard with their more anti-consumer practices. I have a couple of older HDD iPods which I modded to solid state, bought used and cheap, so I'm living the dream

Comment

Ha! If only!!

For perspective, I was able to install iOS14 (released by Apple last week) on my five year old iPhone 6s. That is what I would class as several years of support.

I defy you to show me an Android smartphone from 2015 that can run an official build (NOT a custom ROM) of Android 11. I'll wait.
                Yeah but they run Xbox Game Streaming and most people update their phones within 5 years anyway

Comment

Yeah but they run Xbox Game Streaming and most people update their phones within 5 years anyway
                  Haha!

Although iPhone owners know that they'll get long-term support for their device, thus lessening the need to purchase a new device often - something that clearly cannot be said for Android devices.

Comment

Haha!

Although iPhone owners know that they'll get long-term support for their device, thus lessening the need to purchase a new device often - something that clearly cannot be said for Android devices.
                    You are a rare breed of sheeple then because I swear every iphone owner I know trades their handset in every 24 months to get another one...

Seriously the smartphone market moves that fast I think 3 years of OS support is decent and as you say on Android you have custom OS support that tends to fill the gap.

Comment

I can appreciate Apple's designs, but I can't get onboard with their more anti-consumer practices. I have a couple of older HDD iPods which I modded to solid state, bought used and cheap, so I'm living the dream
                      I've seen that mod and it's pretty bloody cool and easy to do.

Comment

You are a rare breed of sheeple then because I swear every iphone owner I know trades their handset in every 24 months to get another one...

Seriously the smartphone market moves that fast I think 3 years of OS support is decent and as you say on Android you have custom OS support that tends to fill the gap.
                        And you're a rare breed of ignorant who clearly hasn't read my last few posts.

I own a Pixel 4 XL.

Stay on your fandroid hill all you want. The fact still remains - iPhones are still way better supported for updates than Android phones have ever been. Who you know and what you think you know regarding phone trades is totally irrelevant. Five years of iPhone support still clearly beats three years of Pixel support which is actually two years of OEM support if you own an Android phone made by Samsung/OnePlus/Sony/etc. The option to keep a phone for longer and update it to the latest OS is quite obviously a godsend in a global health pandemic where people have lost their jobs, lost income and as such don't want to spend money on the latest phones. My point is clearly that iPhone allows for this flexibility. Android currently doesn't.

Unlike you, Google and Samsung understand this, hence why they are moving away from using Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs to developing their own silicon for Android like Apple have for iOS products.

Android fragmentation is still a very real thing years after Android dropped. So what if Custom ROMs exist? They're not official builds and as such are actually far less secure, which doesn't actually make them a viable substitute at all if you're worried about your phone's security being compromised.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 24-09-2020, 15:14.

Comment

Ah mate I was only kidding...

Comment

The Pixel 5 (and 4a 5G) is now official as Google have paperlaunched it on their website. I can't say looking through the specs that I'm particularly excited by it. I also noticed that the photo backup has been further parred back to 3 months of Google One 100GB (which I think is their lowest tier Cloud Storage, and just checking yes, it's £16 for 12 months usually). I'm not completely clear if this is in addition to the photo backup, but I would assume not seeing as I can't see that mentioned anywhere.

However, this is one reason that you might be interested in taking a look at the phone if you're in the market for some wireless headphones. If you order the Pixel 5 between 30/9/2020 at 12:00am BST through 19/10/2020 at 11:59pm BST or a Pixel 4a (5G) between 5/11/2020 and 18/11/2020 at 11:59pm BST you receive a complimentary set of Bose QC 35 II headphones, which seem to review well - you have to follow some T&Cs to redeem the offer, but it doesn't look anything out of the ordinary for these type of promotions.

I'm far from convinced it's worth the upgrade from the Pixel 3XL though.

Comment

I saw that deal on HotUKDeals and it's pretty decent if you were in the market for a new Google handset.

I think they've hit the right price point here for what the specs give you but besides some new software features the design of the phones themselves is pretty safe.

Comment

In the end I went with a Pixel 4a. The Pixel 5 is tempting, but now my current mobile's screen started to detach from the rest of the phone, so the sooner I have a replacement, the better.
                                Also, there still isn't a firm release date for the Pixel 5 in Switzerland, or even when preorders start...I could have gone with Italian or other European retailers, but between shipping costs, custom duties, couriers that might refuse to ship the thing due to the battery or add a surcharge, and warranty woes, I felt that buying something locally was the best option.

Comment

Working...
                                X