X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple confirms it now uses Google Cloud for iCloud services

"The company has stopped mentioning Microsoft Azure

Apple has confirmed that it uses Google’s public cloud to store data for its iCloud services in its latest version of the iOS Security Guide last month, as spotted by CNBC. Reports that Apple relied on Google’s cloud services surfaced in 2016 but were previously never confirmed.

Apple had previously used remote data storage systems provided by Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure. Apple’s edition of the iOS Security Guide in March 2017 still listed Microsoft Azure instead of Google Cloud Platform.

The new edition describes its iCloud service: “The encrypted chunks of the file are stored, without any user-identifying information, using third-party storage services, such as [Amazon] S3 and Google Cloud Platform.”

The report doesn’t clearly state whether Apple uses any Google cloud services outside of storing photos and videos, nor does it give a start date for when Apple first made the switch.

Apple and Google did not immediately respond to comment."

Comment

I'd really like one of these! Maybe I could replace my work phone?

Nokia’s banana phone from The Matrix is back

"Back in 1999, Keanu Reeves was famous for playing Neo in The Matrix, and not for looking sad on a bench. Nokia was also the “world’s leading mobile phone supplier” back then, and it used this popularity to feature its Nokia 8110 “banana phone” in The Matrix film. At the time everyone who considered themselves cool (definitely me) wanted a Nokia phone just like Neo’s, but most of us had to settle for the Nokia 7110 with its spring-loaded slider.

Now HMD, makers of Nokia-branded phones, is bringing the Nokia 8110 back to life as a retro classic. Just like the Nokia 3310 that was a surprise hit at Mobile World Congress last year, the 8110 plays on the same level of nostalgia. The slightly curved handset has a slider that lets you answer and end calls, and HMD is creating traditional black and banana yellow versions.

The Nokia 8110 runs on the Smart Feature OS, so this is a basic featurephone and you’re not going to get access to the Android apps found on other Nokia Android smartphones. However, HMD is creating an app store for the device, which will include Facebook so there’s a chance other third parties might create their own apps for this.

Unlike the 3310, the 8110 will ship with LTE support across Europe, with dual-SIM versions available too. Inside there’s a Qualcomm 205 Mobile Platform processor, 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of storage. While the banana phone looks big in pictures, it’s relatively small with just a 2.4-inch QVGA display and a 2-megapixel camera at the rear. You’ll even get access to a revamped Snake game, and an impressive 25 days of battery standby.

The Nokia 8110 will be available in May for just 79 euros ($97)."

Comment

No idea why, but .... want

Comment

Me too.

Twenty-five day battery - ace.

Comment

Man I don't miss owning Apple products

Comment

Right then.

The missus is out of contract with Vodafone and wants to go SIM only as I have done.

She's currently rocking a Huawei P9 Lite but the battery is rapidly dying.

She's prepared to spend about £200 for a handset.

Recommend-me-do please.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                Right then.

The missus is out of contract with Vodafone and wants to go SIM only as I have done.

She's currently rocking a Huawei P9 Lite but the battery is rapidly dying.

She's prepared to spend about £200 for a handset.

Recommend-me-do please.
                Is she interested in importing? I've got a brand new Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 which costs around £160.

5.99" screen
                Full screen gestures
                Android 8.1
                Dual camera
                64gb storage
                4gb RAM
                Takes up to 128gb micro SD in sim slot 2
                Dual SIM if not using an SD card
                Snapdragon 636 CPU
                4,000mah battery

Basically it's a sweet mid range unit and about the only thing it lacks is NFC. Battery lasts a good two days.

My wife liked my one so much I just had to buy her one.

Comment

Cheers [MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION]

That looks sweet.

Comment

I have the Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus 4G, from Gearbest for £124.

If you’re prepared to wait a few weeks for it to arrive, and not bothered about the mobile phone snobs who look upon you with disdain when you tell them the manufacturer, you can’t go wrong.

I’m so impressed with Xiaomi and Gearbest, I’ve bought my daughter her first phone from there, the Xiaomi 5A (5” screen) for £72.

Comment

What's battery life like?

Comment

Yeah the Redmi 5 Plus is the lower spec model of the Note 5 as it's got the older Snapdragon 625 chip. I'd also say the cameras in the note 5 are better.

I've bought loads from Gearbest so can also recommend them but I bought from the global mi store on AliExpress this time as they were cheaper and have free DHL shipping. Just make sure you but the global version as it has all the UK LTE bands. Ignore any that say global ROM as it's the Chinese version missing band 20 and flashed with the global ROM.

Best thing about Xiaomi, very little boost ware on MIUI and for me it's the closest thing to Apple iOS if you like they sort of thing. Yet it has its own theme app can change the front end icons and launcher so you can mix up the interface a lot before you even start looking at 3rd party apps.

Right now I've skinned mine to act like the pixel 2 XL, using the rootless pixel launcher and live wallpapers. I've also got a fabric case on it which looks like those funky Google cases for the pixel. At first glance most are fooled.

Comment

My OnePlus 6 arrived today. Holy hell!! Now that is one impressive piece of tech!!

Comment

Case: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 case cover note5 Global Version back cover silicone edge fabric case coque MOFi Redmi note 5 pro case
                            http://s.aliexpress.com/qmi2EN3e?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Phone: Original Global Version Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 4GB 64GB Snapdragon S636 Octa Core Mobile Phone 5.99" 4000mAh 12.0MP 5.0MP
                            http://s.aliexpress.com/bmEJ7rMj?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Comment

Yeah OnePlus 6 is gorgeous. I'd but that if I wasn't on a budget. Especially the white version

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                                Yeah OnePlus 6 is gorgeous. I'd but that if I wasn't on a budget. Especially the white version
                                The white one is nice but the screen bezel (what there is) is still black. The whole thing should be white.

Comment

Working...
                                X