Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't say the Pixel 4a's camera is fancy, it's just incredibly good.

Comment

Xperia Play 2 leaks in a, what could of been.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/23/21452167/sony-xperia-play-2-playstation-phone-prototype-concept-leaked-images
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-09-2020, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        I wouldn't say the Pixel 4a's camera is fancy, it's just incredibly good.
        Well yeah it depends on what it meant by fancy. I've had a pixel 2 XL and the wife had the Pixel 3 and now a 4a... It's just the best point and click experience.

Some might call that fancy but then if you want pure android and several years of security updates for a low cost it's the best all round.

Comment

Thanks everyone, my hunch about the 4a was correct then. After a bit of research it appears Google will unveil the Pixel 5 at the end of the month, I'll see when it actually comes out and then make the purchase.

Comment

That's the rumour; I've seen it speculated it could come in at around £600 but at that price it wouldn't be a flagship as the previous models have been - the 4a at £350 would still be a solid buy. Perhaps they're going to make a bigger distinction between the 5 and 5XL this time.

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            Some might call that fancy but then if you want pure android and several years of security updates for a low cost it's the best all round.
            The Android 11 update just popped on my Pixel 3XL - I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference just glancing at it though
            Last edited by MartyG; 23-09-2020, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

Several years of updates on a Pixel phone? Lol. I don't think so. Try three years of updates, max. Android updates are light years behind Apple's iOS updating in that regard, mainly due to Qualcomm not wanting to offer long-term servicing and support for their Snapdragon processors.

That said, rumours are that the Pixel 6 might be the first phone to have an SoC that is made by Google themselves and will allow for them to offer more than three years of Android OS and security updates.

Comment

That's the rumour; I've seen it speculated it could come in at around £600 but at that price it wouldn't be a flagship as the previous models have been - the 4a at £350 would still be a solid buy. Perhaps they're going to make a bigger distinction between the 5 and 5XL this time.
                There isn't likely to be a Pixel 5 XL this year.

The 4a 5G is basically going to be the Pixel 4a XL - it'll have a bigger screen than the 5.

Pixel 5 will have a 6 inch screen (between the 4a's 5.8 and the 4a 5g's supposed 6.3) but the smaller bezels will basically give it the same footprint/sizing as the 4a.

I'm a Pixel 4XL owner and tbh it has been a disappointment - poor battery life and the Soli radar/face unlocking has been pure gimmickry. If the 5 comes in at the £500-£600 price range then I might be tempted to "downgrade".

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  Several years of updates on a Pixel phone? Lol. I don't think so. Try three years of updates, max. Android updates are light years behind Apple's iOS updating in that regard, mainly due to Qualcomm not wanting to offer long-term servicing and support for their Snapdragon processors.

That said, rumours are that the Pixel 6 might be the first phone to have an SoC that is made by Google themselves and will allow for them to offer more than three years of Android OS and security updates.
                  Several, 3 ... That's the same thing right?!

The biggest update with Android 11 is I understand you can use your switch controllers properly with your phone now...

Comment

Three years of updates minimum. There weren't supposed to be any OS updates to the Pixel and Pixel XL after 2018, they still rolled out Android 10 to it a year later. Doesn't look like it'll get Android 11 on it officially, but you never know.

Comment

I'm a Pixel 4XL owner and tbh it has been a disappointment - poor battery life and the Soli radar/face unlocking has been pure gimmickry. If the 5 comes in at the £500-£600 price range then I might be tempted to "downgrade".
                      I skipped from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 3 XL and wasn't planning to change to the 4. The whole radar thing did strike me as a bit gimmicky, but I do like the fringe benefits such as the photo storage at original quality. I know they've changed that to high quality for the new purchases, but I have that until 2022.

I can't say I've had reason to complain about either of my Pixel phones.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                        Current mobile is starting to break apart... What does BD recommend for a mid-range phone running stock Android? I'm tired of cumbersome customizations and useless preinstalled apps. Not interested in fancy cameras either.
                        OnePlus Nord.

Comment

Been using a OnePlus 6T for 9 months now. Bought it used because I didn't fancy stretching to a 7T but I've been impressed with it (besides the awful camera). Can't see myself upgrading for a few years, will likely be another OnePlus when I do though.

Comment

I skipped from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 3 XL and wasn't planning to change to the 4. The whole radar thing did strike me as a bit gimmicky, but I do like the fringe benefits such as the photo storage at original quality. I know they've changed that to high quality for the new purchases, but I have that until 2022.

Yeah I upgraded to a 3 XL via CEX when the kids broke my 2 XL. I didn't mind the notch but only had it two days before it showed serious memory errors.

Took it back for a full refund, swapped to a Huawei P30 Pro which I'm currently using. I think the pixel 4 was a massive mistake removing the fingerprint scanner but Google is back on track with the 4a and 5.

That said I'm thinking of ditching the P30 Pro with Trump forcing Huawei to bring their own OS. The P30 Pro is an amazing phone but I don't want their Harmony OS at all.

I'm currently looking at the Poco F2 Pro. I like big phones (I cannot lie) but I'll miss the wireless charging and super fast charge of the P30 Pro.

I don't think I can afford to go near the Pixel 5.

Comment

Three years of updates minimum. There weren't supposed to be any OS updates to the Pixel and Pixel XL after 2018, they still rolled out Android 10 to it a year later. Doesn't look like it'll get Android 11 on it officially, but you never know.
                              It's definitely three years max with Pixel, and that's pushing the boat out by Pixel standards when literally every other Android OEM offer two years max at best.

Maybe the pandemic changes that a bit but I can't see it when Qualcomm have new premium Snapdragon SoCs to push.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-09-2020, 21:42.

Comment

Yup, two years gratis of photo storage @ original quality ended with the Pixel 3/3XL. I only have it on my P4XL because I got a free year of Google One subscription.

I loved the Nexus phones beforehand and I enjoyed using the Pixel 2 I had before (should've kept it in hindsight). I love Pixel software but the hardware has left a lot to be desired. Google should be nailing it, especially given the premium prices they charge for it, but they're not.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-09-2020, 21:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X