No announcement yet.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also worth saying that the fact that it can look so great AND run at a rock solid 60fps is a lesson all other developers should learn.

Comment

turned up this morning just before i came to work

from the incredibly brief play i have had the start section with the wii remote (twisting and pulling and pushing) made me smile fantastic production values already.
      This should be a corker

Comment

The postie dropped this off this morning. Just made it through the first section and past the first boss fight. The controls work really well, before long I could do everything I could in Prime and easier.

The introduction of other characters you can communicate with adds some depth to the game and the space station oozes with atmosphere. This feels like a big improvement on Prime and Echoes so far. I am looking forward to seeing what else is in store for me!

Comment

Originally posted by AllYourBase View Post
          I am looking forward to seeing what else is in store for me!
          The more you see, the more you want to play.
          The level design, even on the very first planet is astonishing. Each part is clearly different from the others but each has something in common...not just enemies or crates, the feeling is the same, with alien technologies strikingly different from the rest, as it should be.
          IMO the best part of this new Metroid game is not how it plays, but how Retro managed to produce perfect controls and art style that put to rest almost anything up to date. Just the environment is a reason to see the whole game.

However, it's not a revolutionary game, the first part feels a bit too scripted and cliched, the rest is standard Metroid gameplay. However, Retro did a great work in streamlining maps making navigation seamless and litter everything with small events and changes making backtracking a lot more enjoyable.
          There are a couple of parts that are more frustrating than difficult (

that AAA guns on Bryyo with flying troopers was a pain

), but certain enemies are pure genius...

the Space Pirate Hussar or the Berserker Knight which hurls at you his own Space Pirates allies have really surprised me

In its defence, Hyper Mode drains health like nobodies business so you NEED a few to begin with more than any other Metroid game.
          I tend not to use Hyper Mode, kills everything too fast and for an energy tank its power is incredible. I only used once against a boss and when the game asked me to do so

Enemies using Phazon Grenades forcing you in Hyper Mode are comical though

BTW, anyone ever tried Friend Tokens? I have 4 or 5 around and I want to see what they can unlock
          Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 01-09-2007, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
            Also worth saying that the fact that it can look so great AND run at a rock solid 60fps is a lesson all other developers should learn.
            And Cassamina claims in latest IGN podcast this and Galaxy would run easily on original Xbox. It's really fun to listen guys who don't have clue about what they are talking about.

Comment

Been in Portugal the last couple of weeks and got back this morning just as the postman was popping Metroid 3 through my letterbox . What with this, Super Metroid, Bioshock and Space Giraffe to play I'll be in gaming heaven for the next few weeks . But anyway, to get back to Metroid 3, I've only played up to the first mini-boss near where your ship is docked but already my initial fears concerning the game's graphics, brought on after watching the Wii's preview videos, are dead in the water as the game looks fantastic - even on an HD set.

The controls, I found, take a few minutes to climatise to but, after that, work extremely well and, indeed, put the majority of FPS control systems to shame. It's strange because though the game feels very familiar, thanks to the new control system it also feels refreshingly different. My only real gripe is the need to press the - and + buttons for certain functions which I've always found fiddly and strengthens the argument the Wiimote could really do with a mini analogue stick under the A button.

Oh, and a special mention must go to the music which is so often an afterthought these days. It's beautifully moody, abstract and atmospheric and lends itself perfectly to the look and feel of the game. Top stuff.

Comment

My copy from VG+ turned up this morning to my surprise and this is an absolute class title from Retro! it's a different metroid experience, but it doesn't stop it from being an absolute belter

Comment

Bloody hell, this just turned up today too! Didnt expect that!

Bioshock to finish, this to start and CoD4 Beta to play too! I cant cope!

Comment

This game is brilliant! The controls are SO good it's effortless to play, if only every Wii game controlled this well. Graphically for a Wii game it's treat too. 480p, 60FPS in widescreen with only a little bit of overscan.

This game sets the standard for what a Wii game should be like.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                      BTW, anyone ever tried Friend Tokens? I have 4 or 5 around and I want to see what they can unlock
                      You need to have people's Wii number registered in your address book, and them have you registered. If you want to try it, then PM your Wii number for me to add

(I've put my Wii number in my profile, if you click on it)
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Any tips on dealing with

the first boss, the berserker

? I keep getting mightily slapped already, on easy level. :/

(I'm not really sure if that needed spolierising, but I'd rather be on the safe side).

Stroller.

Comment

Originally posted by Strolls View Post
                          Any tips on dealing with

the first boss, the berserker

? I keep getting mightily slapped already, on easy level. :/

(I'm not really sure if that needed spolierising, but I'd rather be on the safe side).

Stroller.

You know the purple balls of doom that he shoots out? Well shoot them back at him

Comment

Though for added effect, don't shoot them back until he's spewed two or three... increase the pain!

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Been able to get some decent time into this finally. I am becoming more and more impressed. 3 hours in and things are really picking up. The puzzles are as fiendish as Prime, you really have to examine your environment to find the way forward. I love the way everything fits together.

The first planet looks amazing. I hardly thought the Wii was capable of producing such a good looking and smooth game.

The controls are really clicking for me now. Retro show the way forward for any FPS coming to the Wii in the future.

Comment

This is the best Wii game so far by miles, it really benefits having obviously been designed from the ground up for the Wii. It really sets the bar for future first party releases.

Comment

Working...
                                X