No announcement yet.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are people using free aim or not? To be honest, even with it on, I'm not locking on much as the previous two games as I don't seem to have the same freedom as randomly strafe/aiming at targets...
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I use lock-on free aiming but, as you hint, it's something of a strange beast and doesn't feel quite right. It's useful for 'locking' the screen in place though so is advantageous in that respect.

I've just reached the second planet and, really, am over the moon to finally be alone as during the first planet with the other hunters I felt there was a danger of it becoming more like an 'X-Men' game, what with characters flying around on an ice board, calling you "Sammy" and what have you; to finally gain that feeling of isolation that's so integral to the Metroid series is a very welcome relief and the game certainly feels a lot better for it. While scanning Lore I particularly enjoy reading the references to the Luminoth from Metroid Prime Echoes and feel using the series' history like that genuinely helps create a believable universe with great depth and substance.

Comment

See this is what puts me slightly off Corruption. Is the storyline as cheesy as you made it sound? I'd prefer if Samus was on her own completely if the extra story elements didn't add anything to the game apart from naff it up.

Comment

I'd prefer complete and total isolation during the entire game too, but to allow the odd, admittedly, cheesy moment put you off experiencing such a generally beautiful, intelligent and lovingly-crafted game would be folly. It's a little like deciding not to play Halo 2 because of a few silly moments like near the beginning where the Master Chief jumps on the back of that bomb and flies through space on it's back before detonating it. I mean, it's silly and it's laughable but the rest of the game is so good it's easy to overlook. Corruption, is the same. The good bits far outweigh the bad.

Comment

I've heard the token system has been done very, very well.

Comment

What is the token system anyway? The game mentioned something about it when I copied one of the game's save files but I don't really know what it is. I'm guesing they're used to unlock the game's extras?

Comment

You get tokens in game that you give to friends to unlock things in-game, however, you can't unlock them, you can only give them away and vice versa.

Comment

Ahh, I see. It's a pity but I don't have a single friend registered on my Wii.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                    I'd prefer complete and total isolation during the entire game too, but to allow the odd, admittedly, cheesy moment put you off experiencing such a generally beautiful, intelligent and lovingly-crafted game would be folly. It's a little like deciding not to play Halo 2 because of a few silly moments like near the beginning where the Master Chief jumps on the back of that bomb and flies through space on it's back before detonating it. I mean, it's silly and it's laughable but the rest of the game is so good it's easy to overlook. Corruption, is the same. The good bits far outweigh the bad.
                    It's not completely putting me off - I guess I just remember how expertly the isolation worked in Metroid Prime and what I've seen off Gametrailers looks a bit out of place.

It's probable that I'll be picking up a Wii before Christmas if Super Mario Galaxy ends up being game of the year material, so it's good to see Metroid Prime 3 getting positive feedback. As weak as I may be, are the bosses any less frustrating than in Prime 1 and 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Concept View Post
                      As weak as I may be, are the bosses any less frustrating than in Prime 1 and 2?
                      I'm just 3 or 4 hours in and have only tackled the first couple, which were reasonably straightforward, so I don't know. Something tells me they probably will get frustrating later on though as the game, maybe in part due to the controls, does feel a little more difficult than Prime and Echoes did.

Comment

As weak as I may be, are the bosses any less frustrating than in Prime 1 and 2?
                        When fought at normal level they aren't. They are pretty straight forward and the logbook is clear in listing weak points and how to exploit it, like "a strong blast can cause it damage". There's a further hint if you press the 2 botton on the Wiimote, but never used it.
                        When fought at veteran, they pose a much more significant threat, your weapons should do the same damage, but they do a lot more: even the first boss can cause some problems.

Comment

I'm just starting this now, put the control on advanced but its quite twitchy and I'm not sure if I like it being locked on/free aim at once. Its weird...

What are most people doing?

Comment

I don't find Advanced twitchy in the slightest. In fact I wish it was more direct with less damping...!

Still great though, and Retro clearly knew it as they throw really rapid battles at you as only a PC FPS would dare do.

Comment

Yeah I'm into it a bit now and it feels just perfect, I retract my previous statement!

Loving this right now, only like an hour or something into it, but its really good. Off for dinner then I'll get stuck into it for a few hours after!

Comment

I use Advanced but also find it a little twitchy, possibly because I'm not as adept with the Wiimote as I should be, but am slowly getting used to it. Really though, for those wanting full and complete control, 'specially in terms of speed, it's the only option.

Comment

Working...
                                X