Heavenly Sword - PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Beaulieu View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean is nearly 3 hours long - and you pay £6-£7 quid to watch it ... Heavenly Sword is 2 hours longer - I am sure you can see why someone is complaining about the length of the game
    Not really. Again, i don't see how money should determine the length of use you get from something as long as you enjoy it. In my opinion a game can never be too short if it's good; whereas a good game can be too long and become tiresome. That's what i meant by the Pirates comparison (i obviously wasn't being literal with the times as you suggest as i was using a different medium for the analogy). Also, while HS may take 5 hours to complete, depending on play style, the time the player chooses to dedicate, and of course difficulty it could just as easily take up to 10 hours (and cover the course of a week). Furthermore addressing the issue of replayability someone mentioned as being a factor too, the other benefit of having a more economical and short experience is that I feel much more willing to play through it again... particularly if i found the game fun. Whereas Pirates will always just be 3 hours.

But if we are to be literal, then by that logic a £20 game should amount to (for arguments sake) 5 hours; a £30 game should equal 12 hours; and a £40 game should equal 20 hours.

...see how ridiculous that is?

It just seems to be an absurd criteria, with no relation to quality, by which to criticise a game and mark it down.
    Last edited by suicidepirate; 16-09-2007, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
      I really don't see length as a valid criticism to be honest. Nobody forces anyone to buy a game or go to a long movie. They are two different mediums anyway and this is why reviews exist. Fine, it's short, but I don't think that's a reason to mark it down. If it controls like ****, looks like **** and feels like ****, fair enough, that's a valid criticism in my book and reason enough to mark a game down but length...I'm not sure I can agree with that.

I'm quite partial to a shorter game now and again, sometimes we get bogged down with games that you can really tell they've shoehorned another few hours into it because of some irritating fetch quest or backtracking. Even BioShock suffered from it with the fetch quests which really slowed the game up needlessley.

If this game has none of that, I might be tempted at a later date. Sure, it's short, but not everything has to be an epic Final Fantasy 70 hour-er.
      This is fair enough but sometimes overlooks major issues with the developer,
      i.e., they are either a) lacking in imagination and creativity to sustain their game for a greater length of time, b) lazy, or c) victim of time/money restraints. In the first two cases, I believe the game length should come under the reviewer's critical remit.

Comment

How long is it then, 8 hours? 6/7 hours?

Still not something I could do in one sitting, it'd give me a week of entertainment at that I'd guess whereby (like all games) I'd trade it in and get something else cheap, so it's not really the end of the world either way, is it?

Do you guys all play games multiple times then? I notice a lot of people talking about replayability. In my youth I'd play a game through a few times but nowadays I simply don't have the time. God of War II was a good example, thoroughly enjoyed it, and although I could see why some people might play it through a second time (for more unlockables, modes etc) I was quite happy to have played a great game, got a nice ending and put it to bed.

In fact the only game I've played through twice in recent years I can remember is BioShock, which lasted me just over a week (I hammered it, I was only holiday) and then I sold it.
        Last edited by Jebus; 16-09-2007, 13:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
          How long is it then, 8 hours? 6/7 hours?

Still not something I could do in one sitting, it'd give me a week of entertainment at that I'd guess whereby (like all games) I'd trade it in and get something else cheap, so it's not really the end of the world either way, is it?
          That's the problem with trade ins though, you could try and get rid of a game after only a few days past it's release and the trade in value would be an insult to put it mildly. If you're on a limited gaming budget, you really can't afford to slap down £20 ontop of a recent game just for another game can you?

This goes back to what I experienced the other day in a (lesser known bu still) gamestore in town - Game Xchange, where a guy was offered £12 cash for a brand new copy of Bioshock 360 and for some completely unknown reason the guy took it, next day the shelf has one extra preowned copy of Bioshock 360 for £34.99, it's a ****ing farce and the sad thing is more retailers are doing it because people are happy to get trodden on like a doormat because they don't know any better.

Comment

But let's be honest, if he's stupid enough to accept 12 quid for BioShock...

I'd have told them to suck my sausage to be honest.

Comment

To be fair, not everyone on the planet is a hardcore gamer as we are - people need to be made more aware of just how valuable something is before they go ahead. Maybe a store trade in is the only way some people know about to get rid of their games?

Comment

The game would be good, but I can't believe how boring the combat is. I played for an hour an my fingers ache from hamering the square and triangle buttons. You can play properly, using the stances. Or you can just pummel the buttons -either way the enemies eventually fall.

I'm not sure why anyone would want the game to be longer. The cut scenes are great, but the actual game just isn't exciting to me.

Comment

i quite enjoyed it so far

the fact there is no block button grates though with a blocking button then it can be instant without it there is a huge delay and that i find frustrating

Comment

I'm enjoying this, I know there are only
                    chapters and it's not supposed to be that long, so I'll take my time on it. After finishing N3 on Xbox 360 this doesn't seem as repetitive and there are a few different combat styles that keep it interesting.

It's hard to enjoy these nice visuals when it screen tears so much though

Comment

Just finished my first 2 hour session on this there and how anyone can do anything but gush over this I do not know. I am finding myself actually saying out loud, "****ing brilliant" during a fight or "Amazing" after a cut scene... the production values that are on display here are some of the best I have seen.

The only problem I can find with the game is the occasional tearing that occurs during the open landscape sections but this is only usually when you are travelling from one location to another and not mid battle so it can be forgiven.

I have finished Chapter 3 and have put it off cause I dont want to rush through it, I want to savour this experience because it is exactly what my PS3 has been crying out for... sure Resistance was fun and Lair was great but THIS is what I wanted from a PS3 game.

IMO, the controls are superb and while they take a bit of getting use to never have I felt cheated by the outcome of a fight or encounter. The motion control is really nicely done aswell. Now, this may be down to my recent time with Lair and the fact that I have got use to the sensitivities of the motion control but so far I feel the shooting sections have been exectued brilliantly...

Kai covering Shens escape on the bridge was just beautiful and I hope there are more sections like this.

While this may not be a DMC or NG beater in terms of fighting system depth it is every bit as engaging in every other sense. Nariko really is a brilliant character and she is getting better with every scene I watch.

Her verbal jousting with Whiptail during their fight was fantastic and it really drew me in to the battle.

Why this received average reviews and Lair got panned I will never know... what I do know though is I kept the faith with both and have been rewarded with some truly brilliant gaming. If Heavenly Sword is to continue as a franchise for the PS3 then bring it on cause there opening act has put my jaw on the floor!!
                      Last edited by Mardigan8; 16-09-2007, 21:35.

Comment

I've just

got the sword back as Kai

I am loving it!

The art is fantastic, the characters are totally above and beyond any other game's and while the combat isn't ultra deep, I am having fun just bashing through it.

I am also totally in love with Kai. She might be my new favourite game character of all time. The cut scene where she

eats the worm

was so well done.

Bohan is also excellent, the cut scene where

Flying Fox teleports around him

being my favourite.

It may be short but hopefully it will pave the way for a lengthier sequel.

Mardigan -

protecting Shen

almost made me put my controller through the screen. Initial play with the motion controls made me hate them so I didn't want to use them. Once I realised you had to, I quickly adapted and it became an excellent section like you say. Popping fools with a guided arrow is an excellent feeling and I'm sure lots more games will do it. Can you imagine Zelda on the Wii with guided arrows?
                        Last edited by chopemon; 16-09-2007, 21:42.

Comment

Spot on about the characters Chopemon, it has been a while since I have been so engaged in a games cut scenes, they are beautifully done and yes Kai is a star

Comment

Also -

Kratos's armour!!! OMG! shame the description of the armour didn't mention his name.

And -

When Kai makes the "massive damage" joke. I'm glad Sony can have a laugh at themselves.

Comment

This thread is really tempting me to give this game another go after the demo. I think I'll give in eventually.

Comment

been playing this alot personally i think its pretty good realised now its more about countering so now the blocking i find much easier.

think the graphics are pretty good ......voice acting though i am not to keen seems a bit OTT to me

only real problem i have had is that often when trying for a mid air combo it does not recognise the sixaxis motion so she does not jump up

Comment

Working...
                                X