Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official dreams thread: share yours here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
    Anyone here suffer from sleep paralysis? I had my first experience of this in '93 or '94 and have had bouts ever since. For those not in the know, it's the sensation of being somewhere in between and sleep and consciousness, and being unable to move your body.

That's Kanashiibari isn't it? I had heard of this before leaving the UK, but in Japan it seems EVERYBODY gets this at some point in their lives.. I think it's connected to stress or exhaustion from overwork. Maybe you are starting to go native!

Comment

Last night I dreamt I was peeling an infinite number of potatoes.

Comment

Last night I had a fight with a Nazi general and lost, he then started choking me out with wire... as I was losing conciousness I could feel my bed more and more. Oh yeah I remember now... I'd managed to look out of the window of the hut we were fighting in during my last dying (waking) seconds... there was a small silver passenger jet which looked VERY futuristic screaming down a runway, it took off and then shot off at light-speed like the Millenium Falcon, I died in peace knowing that the jet, being imperative to the actual mission, had escaped successfully.

Sleep paralysis? I've had that mixed with a night terror before:

Back in summer 2006 I'd been up all night levelling up on FFXI, I was in the Valkurm Dunes area and enjoying being in this nice party until this crappy american tank turned up and refused to level without a power leveller backing him up. We try this to my dismay for a few pulls and it fails miserably, our healer starts to go away from keyboard because he is bored and the power leveller red mage healer does the same a few times resulting in many wipes.... I get really angry at these cocksuckers and throw one of my rants which gets me kicked from the team... I go to bed absolutely fuming at these prick-faced motherfu*kers... I'm tosing and turning trying to get to sleep whilst thinking about the whole scenario until I turn to face the left side of my bed, and right there next to me is this dead body of an old man who looked like he had reptile skin!!! FFS I've never been so **** scared in all my life, it was real as far as I was concerned, like someone had planted it there whilst I was next door, I couldn't scream or anything all I did was grab my sheets with my mouth open in terror, totally paralysed with fear. After a couple of seconds the body started fading away and I regained control of my body. I sat up pronto and slapped myself trying to wake myself up eventhough I wasn't asleep in the first place. Then I felt a dark presence coming through the window and decided I had to get out of the room before finding out what it was. I went back next door and didn't bother going to bed until dinner time.
        Last edited by dataDave; 18-01-2009, 19:05.

Comment

That was a ghost, dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
            Do you think that because we're all into videogames our dreams are more action based than other people?
            It's definitely a factor.

I remember having a Castlevania-esque dream where I was a vampire hunter in Dracula's castle. I stepped into the place, the door shut behind me and all of a sudden, the walls turned to flesh (with stitches along it). I ran up a spiral staircase to an antechamber which was empty save Dracula himself. We fought, I won, and then woke up.

Everyone I relayed that dream to said the same thing: "You play too many video games".

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
              That's Kanashiibari isn't it? I had heard of this before leaving the UK, but in Japan it seems EVERYBODY gets this at some point in their lives.. I think it's connected to stress or exhaustion from overwork. Maybe you are starting to go native!
              Yes, that's it, though I have had it in the UK, too so it's not something in the water, here, causing it... Apparently it's rare after your twenties. Tell my mind that though.

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
              Sleep paralysis? I've had that mixed with a night terror before:

David,

Maybe it was a dose of sleep paralysis. It's a weird one and terrifying, as you found out.

Comment

A brother gives his account of sleep paralysis, seems pretty genuine to me.

Comment

Maybe the mind thinks you have gone to sleep and then releases tiny doses of DMT (dream chemical) into your pineal gland before actually shutting the body off? That would explain the hallucinations at least, however, if that was the case then people would have fun and fascinating sleep paralysis as well as the terrifying kind... meh.

It's strange that the only known case of sleep paralysis is the terrifying ****.

Comment

had a weird dream.....was surrounded by zombies....but they were vegetarian

Comment

The official name for sleep paralysis is hypnagogia.

Comment

My awesome dream from the other day...

So - the premise is that I have this watch that allows me to rewind time and all the effects of say the past 15 minutes or so. Yes - very Sands of Time I know.

The location is a cruise ship coming in to harbour at New York and there is some fancy party going on upstairs.

The problem is that there is a nuclear bomb (a tiny one but still a bomb) hidden on board. I have to find it and remove it. So I go about trying to get this done and by the first time I get there (it is an a downstairs cabin - near the engine room) it is just about to go off. So I have to rewind time.

The second time I get held up because I start a fight with a violinist for running through their piece. I get locked away and have to pick the lock, steal an air tank and try and dispose of the bomb underwater. I manage this but it goes off when I am about 10 M away and immediately I realise I have acute radiation poisoning. So I think - F this.

Rewind time.

Much more carefully now I go straight and casually to where it is hidden but because I am there too early - it is just being stashed, I get caught and have a fist fight. This time I am not locked up I can just dive off the side of the boat and attach a weight to the bomb so it sinks away. It goes off and causes a slight rock to the boat, which eventually comes back for me.

I wake up!

Comment

I have dreams with a recurring theme where I'm driving but neither the foot brake nor the handbrake work. Last night I was driving a balck BMW M5 (inspired by Heston Blumenthal's since I've been watching his show) down the A1 past the Angel of the North near me. There was a traffic jam and I was rolling forward but the brakes didn't work and I was about to roll into the back of a Police car.

It didn't actually happen though, I was then somehow in the Police car and they asked me to help out with an accident that had happened just ahead.

Comment

I often have dreams where I'm doing mundane everyday stuff but rats and mice end up everywhere, and I won't be able to pick something up or go into a room without a rat popping out from under something. I also have a fair few dreams where my teeth are so rotten and decayed that they fall out. Luckily the two dreams have never combined, that would be a complete nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              I had a good one last night, which I have illustrated in thse awesome photoshopped images, with the composition as close to my dream as possible.

Bruce Willis in typical Die Hard attire was tied up in the front seat of a Van, there is a large explosion behind him and a Tank is tumbling towards him, the tank starts to crush the roof of the car. Whilst tied up our hero uses his shoulders and head to hold up the roof of the car and the entire weight of the tank, breaks fry of his restraints and uses all his strengh to throw the tank away from him. Whew

Later in my dream the city is frozen and Bruce is helping save children, his natural instincts tell him to look under steaming manhole covers. He saves several and lets them flee with the rest of the people running screaming from the apparently frozen/flooded streets of Prince of Wales road in Norwich (which looked a little like New York in my dream)

A Kraken appeared and starts attacking a building and picks up a fleeing child. Brucey unsheathes a knife and does a jump attack!

awesome! there should be a thread dedicated to photoshopping dreams

Comment

Loving the Brucey inspired dreams, Boris. I wonder what sort of medication you're on?!!

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                                I often have dreams where I'm doing mundane everyday stuff but rats and mice end up everywhere, and I won't be able to pick something up or go into a room without a rat popping out from under something. I also have a fair few dreams where my teeth are so rotten and decayed that they fall out. Luckily the two dreams have never combined, that would be a complete nightmare!
                                I believe that teeth falling out is an allegory for making a fool of yourself or embarrassing yourself. Others have said it's worries over your personal appearance. Who knows?

I've had a dream recently where I went to school to see my son (which I don't have, I only have a daughter) and he was about 7 or 8 playing football in the playground with the other kids. I watched him for some minutes (he was unaware I was there) and then he was called to the sports hall by a teacher. I followed from some way back, and when I got there he was in detention and being punished by a teacher who had him and all the other kids in detention all chained together. This teacher was making them exercise and beating them with the chains if they failed to do the exercises properly.

I watched for a moment or so, then went over told the teacher to let my son go. He told me to mind my own business and that I was trespassing. I pushed him over and took the keys and unlocked the chains on my son, gave the keys to one of the other kids and carried him away.

Then I woke up, quite angry, feeling empowered, bewildered and confused. A bit sad, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X