No announcement yet.

I may get this soon and experience my first ever MMORPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also recommend rolling either a tanking job (Warrior, then Ninja or Paladin) or a healing job (both Red Mage and White Mage, complemented by Summoner subjob for bigger mana pool) as both those party roles were in massive demand last time I played lvls20-60, that's going back six months though now.

After WoW my days of trying out damage dealing classes are over. Finding parties is a grind in itself...

Comment

I'd recommend finding a job you enjoy and playing it, playing a high demand job is great but FFXI is a long haul. You don't want 3 years of playing something you hate. Never choose a job based on demand.

Parties for any job aren't that bad, you just form them yourself. I've levelled every job into party levels now bar a few and all are easy enough to level.

Mind you if you just want 75 as fast as possible go bard, huge invite rate no expensive gear and pretty dull in end game.

Comment

What are the graphics like on the 360 version, and how smooth does it run? I don't want to be playing a choppy mess for ages...

Untill I get the game, I will not fully understand what you're all talking about, but i get the jist of it. It was either Final fantasy or Fantasy Star universe, but I weren't keen on that when i played the beta, so I'll probably get this.

Comment

sorry for the double post...

Can you lose XP in this, and go down levels if you die or play really badly?
          Last edited by Malc; 17-10-2007, 15:41.

Comment

Yes and yes

Exp loss really isn't too big a deal these days however, as the amount you gain back for recieving a basic level raise spell has been increased quite a bit, so it's not as much an issue in a party or group anymore as any mage job worth it's salt can cast raise 1 with the correct sub job.

It can be a bit of a pain if you die while soloing tho. Having to return to your home point from death costs you a fair bit.

Comment

Do you think it's worth buying it? or is it not really that great anymore. - I take it you all still play it?

Comment

Most of us have taken a bit of a break from it of late due to other games, but we'll all be back properly (hopefully) when the new expansion comes out next month.

Comment

well your pretty much find me, dj and tsing on everyday, the others have gone part time

Anyway if you join soon, there will be new jobs to level from the WoG expansion so there should be a new wave of low end levelers, plus there are other europeans out there and americans. Have go and if you don't like cancel the account, but it be hard work somtimes unlike most of WoW even though the game has got easier for newer people, but it pays of when start getting places.

Also one thing most people forget, ffxi has a brilliant story and i think is better than any of main series stories, alot of thought as gone into the lore and history. Some of the stuff they only revealed 2 months ago links into stuff they started 4/5 years ago and the linking of the Main story lines when you reach key parts of Rank Missions, Zilart/dynamis, CoP and Toau is brilliant and won't be found in other mmorpgs(i think one of my fav bits is founding how Tavnazian got the way it was). And to pad the history - town quests and Artifact Armour quest help fill in gaps.

Comment

Yeah, the story is great and extremely faithful to the franchise, moreso than 7 and 9 (my FF favourites) imo.

Speaking of losing levels and artifact armours... I went from lvl 56 to lvl 53 for the Blackmage set and lvl 58-56 for the Whitemage set.

Technically the game is sound. Reach Aht Urghan and it turns into an inexcusable lagfest with people (and mobs) popping up all over the place. Perhaps things will improve if the expansion features a fresh hub area.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                      Yeah, the story is great and extremely faithful to the franchise, moreso than 7 and 9 (my FF favourites) imo.

Speaking of losing levels and artifact armours... I went from lvl 56 to lvl 53 for the Blackmage set and lvl 58-56 for the Whitemage set.

Technically the game is sound. Reach Aht Urghan and it turns into an inexcusable lagfest with people (and mobs) popping up all over the place. Perhaps things will improve if the expansion features a fresh hub area.
                      Apparently it will, but all that will do is transfer the lag from aht Urhgan to the new central hub. SE need a proper fix, not a rug to sweep the problem under.

Comment

Don’t know if it’s still the case but I found the 3 most recent times I’ve logged in Aht Urghan has been quite manageable as there seems to be a population split between people in Whitegate and The Pit. Not that 3 occasions is a massive sample of course.

Comment

Is there normally loads of people on the servers? Enough to fill up alot of room and ask around to join partys and stuff.?

Comment

I think it peaks at around 3500 or so (on seraph at least), so usually there's enough to party up with, although it does depend on your job too. Some are invited faster than others.

Comment

Yeah the aht urgan areas are alright now they have opened the pit. Only abit of lag pretty much what u used to get when stood at the auction house at lower jeuno. (i am on 16mb)

I love this game to bits, as long as your pretty social person and have your psp or summit handy at your side when lookin for group and nowt else to do u will be fine.

As you get higher lvl much more things open up for you to do rather than just look for group

Comment

Cheers for everyone's help so far!

I just thought that I love playing games at night, late in the morning... well this game would be perfect as you don't have to speak, just type. I could get one of those little keyboard things that plug underneath the controller to use. Put on my headphones, and i'm set for the night!

For now though it'll have to be oblivion.

Comment

Working...
                                X