I may get this soon and experience my first ever MMORPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may get this soon and experience my first ever MMORPG

I hopefully should be picking this up from play on 360.

Never played an MMORPG before but i'm eager to learn it.

I take it the 360 version of this runs well on console? As i'll be doing the one month free subscription that I get with the game and seeing if i like it enough to buy more time on it!

Anyone got any nice screens to impress or chitty chatter about what types of armour, weapons spells etc. that you can get? Also a rundown on how the games works: is it random battles with NPC's or is it only PvP fights?
    Last edited by Malc; 15-10-2007, 18:23.

The game runs great on my 360, looks the part too (well as well as it can for a 4 year old game at least).

Try xboxyde for screenshots (if it's still up and running), they always seem to be the best quality on there.

Battles are real time with monsters that appear throughout the game's areas.

Comment

The 360 version runs ok I find it faster on my PC but I play on both...

As for the game if you want a looka round take a look at the wiki, it has buckets of info http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Fights are varied, mobs are rendered and wander about the place, some are agressive others aren't. The first 10 levels are as a rule soled and the next 65 in general done in parties.

PvP does exist but is restricted to specified battlefields (Brenner & balista) so no being randomly creamed whilst out and about.

A new expansion is due November so would be an ideal time to start getting sed to things before the innevitable new influx of players when the expansion lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsingtao View Post
        The first 10 levels are as a rule soled and the next 65 in general done in parties.
        Could you please explain what this means? I don't quite understand properly.

Also, can you use a mic' on the 360 version or is it keyboard only?

Comment

Basically the first 10 levels are spent in a solo adventure to get use to the job and how the game works, its also about the only point in the game where you can easily take on Even match mobs* and gain exp faster than you can in a party, once you hit lvl 10-15 it becomes harder to chain** mobs to for decent exp so you from this point on join 5 other people to form a balanced 6 man killing squad.

It's Keyboard only(as you'll be playing with Ps2/PC users and the entire world NA/EU/JP) but you can use the 360 guide chat like in another game but it's not worth it.

* monster can be checked and rated to your currenty level, so if you can solo them Weak -> easy prey -> Decent match -> Even Match -> Tough -> Very Tough -> Incrediable Tough. Variations of each come with Low def/eva, high def/eva, and theres "impossible to gauge" which are special mobs that drop rare items can could be any level(usually you check up a on website for it actual level)

** Fighting Even Match and above, killing quickly will result in extra exp usually up to a chain 5, so instead fo 200 exp you get 250-300.

Comment

You can use a joypad and Bind most controls to that. I found that much more comfortable than using KB and mouse, jsut using a little KB to chat

Comment

Is it quite easy to join up with some people once you reach the high enough level? I'd imagine myself randomly exploring lands and then geting killed in one by a monster I just happned to run into.

Comment

it can be quite random, you'll most likely find yourself LFG for long periods if you don't make your own parties or setup a static exp party. Main reason is the ffxi player base is quite old so sometimes you could be missing a key job like tank or support because half the player base has leveled them now. Plus Japanese player tend to only play with the japanese players base during JP prime so finding a party during 9am-5pm will suck outside of weekends.

Comment

I could allways party up with any of you guys on here right? providing you're playing at the same time as I am.

Is it really not possible to go at it all on my own?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm very inquisitive.

Comment

not unless we have job to use with in your level bracket (ideally the party should never be more than 3 lvl difference between lowest and higest for exp), and at the moe rargh been pretty dead dj,tsing and i are mostly on our endgame Ls that tsing runs, but you occasional see moot, mosely, calabog and skeleton in rargh currently leveling jobs inthere 40-60's, so the likely hood of us being in exp inthe low levels is quite low unless we make the effort, i would mind level my rdm though , it still lvl1 lol. Rargh isn't what it use to be sadly.

You could solo on ep/dc mobs but it take ages.

Comment

Then again there is a job called Beastmaster what you lvl from 1-75 solo if you wanna take on the world by yourself

Comment

You may be in luck, I'm going to be on reduced playing hours but I have BRD 21 (Bard) and DRK 10 (Dark Knight) I need to level to 37 for sub jobs* for RDM (Red Mage). Hence I may spend a bit more time in social and out of end game for a little while.

Sub jobs are jobs you use to complement your main job. For example a Red Mage main job often uses WHM (White Mage) or BLM (Black Mage) to complement its abilities. The two I am levelling are for more limitted situational use. Your sub job is half the level of your main hence why I need only to level to 37. When you start you will not have a sub job, the ability to use one is unlocked by a quest at level 18.

Edit DJ is right, however Beastmaster is what is refered to as an Advanced job. When you start the game you will have access to the basic jobs:

Warrior (WAR)
                        Monk (MNK)
                        Thief (THF)
                        White Mage (WHM)
                        Black Mage (BLM)
                        Red mage (RDM)

Once you reach level 30 on one of these jobs you can start to unlock the advanced jobs (think there are 12). Unlocking each one requires the completion of a quest with quests varying in difficulty.

A word of warning FFXI is not a solo game in general, you will need to group with others and that is the core of the game.
                        Last edited by Tsingtao; 17-10-2007, 07:24.

Comment

Parties are where the fun is! you can get some useless peeps but for the most part its great! I hate these threads, you make me want to play it again...

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                            I could allways party up with any of you guys on here right? providing you're playing at the same time as I am.

Is it really not possible to go at it all on my own?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm very inquisitive.
                            There are plenty of lvl capped events that are required to complete if you want any kind of 'FF experience' from the game. Particularly the Chains of Promathia mission line (imo easily the best part of the game from a pure Final Fantasy perspective).

This basically means the introductory missions can only be completed by people lvl30 or under, so if you take a lvl44 character in with lvl40+ gear you will be reduced to lvl30 and have all your gear removed. It's not uncommon for people to keep sets of lvl30/40/60 gear for such events. On the other hand you can complete these sets of missions when you are at the exact level and then sell off all your gear after you're done (storage space will be an issue if you plan to play without using extra characters for storage).

Comment

Also, on the subject of subjobs it's important to realise they need levelling independently.

Whenever I had a friend start I'd recommend they level Warrior and Monk (or thief) neck to neck. Level warrior to lvl5 for example (3/4 hours) then the same for another melee role before jumping back on warrior for lvl10, then the other up to lvl10.

That way you can embark on the subjob quest at lvls 14-18 for both jobs... People can get really unlucky with this quest as you need three rare drops from enemies in a certain area, so it's best to try and aim for these items over eight lvl-ups rather than four.

That way as soon as you hit lvl18 you can unlock your subjob, apply it, and then decide how you want to spend the next 15lvls (given the choice of two 'main' jobs).

---

I'll try putting it into perspective...

1) 360 Beta is released and n00b Fallows begins MMO addiction.
                              2) n00b Fallows takes the usual Final Fantasy stance and goes pure melee FTW (picks warrior)
                              3) n00b Fallows lvls up to lvl18 and unlocks the subjob... now lvl18 warrior / lvl1 Thief....
                              4) n00b Fallows has to go back and lvl Thief up to at least lvl9 unless I really want to look 't3h nab'. I start again as 1THF/1WAR, then lvl to 4THF/2WAR, 6THF/3WAR, 16THF/8WAR etc etc (18WAR/1THF won't get you parties, 18WAR/9THF will)
                              5) n00b Fallows gets to lvl15THF/7WAR then sacks it off... back to WAR18/THF9
                              6) n00b Fallows lvls up to 30WAR/15THF, then solos the Paladin advanced job quest at 5am like a true pro, all because healing yourself is good.
                              7) pro Fallows starts again as lvl 1PLD/1WAR.... The potential is there to take Paladin up to lvl60 without having to worry about topping up the warrior subjob.

5 months later the beta ends and I wasn't playing at the time to get my character transferred to a proper server... so I'm forced by nab S-E to start again.... Due to the lack of healers on the beta I decide to start as Whitemage...

I lvl up both WHM and BLM to lvl10 at the same time, I'm waiting for real life mates to catch me up so I spend two weeks farming and making dosh... they end up quitting so I decide to lvl both jobs up to 37 at the same time before deciding which one to take further... I end up with both at lvl60, and the choice of being able to fit two caster roles in a party depending on what's required (usually leads to faster party formation/invites)

I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X