X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr
    How far off topic is this thread?
    Funny though.

Anyone got any comments about good PS2 games at all?
    There MUST be better ones than GT3 and MGS2.
    Well here is my list of "AAA" PS2 titles.

Frequency (Amplitude is not as good as the original)
    Psyvariar
    VF4: Evo
    Ridge Racer 5 (well I love it)
    WE6:FE (although WE7 is out in August)

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie

Comment

The 1 game every single PS2 owner should buy (although they blatantly haven't because of the average sales figures) is ICO! It's one of the finest games on SONY's hardware, it's exclusive to the PS2, and it's criminally passed over by many in favour of "AAA" games.

Comment

I'll add ICO.

Be warned, it gets emotional.

Comment

Ahhh, too slow

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
              You're my bitch, JRM, and don't you forget it!
              Alright. I've asked all around my office, and about three-quarters of those polled agree with me, that things such as FBI, CIA, NBC, etc. are all acronyms, while a quarter say it could be either, but they'd lean more toward abbreviation. So, I went searching on the net for "FBI and acronym", and every single one of the sites I got came back saying that it IS an acronym. For example:

An acronym is a label formed from the beginnings of words (Greek: acro [head] and nym [word]) -- or very rarely, from letters in the middle of words. There is no requirement that an acronym be pronounceable as a normal word (this is a curious myth perpetuated by American dictionaries): IBM is just as much an acronym as LASER.
              The above quote was taken from a University College Cork site - http://www.ucc.ie/cgi-bin/acronym

So, I stand firm on my assertion that FBI is an acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                Originally posted by lordcookie
                The tracks on Amplitude dont seem to be as good, and I really disliked the fact it was on one level instead of the tube. Also the timing seemed to be a bit off on some of the tracks and it got really frustrating. I guess if you have online capabilities Amplitude is probably better, but I never got to play it online.

Comment

Well, they're talking bollocks. Why bother having a distinction between the word 'acronym' and 'abbreviation' if something where you pronounce the abbreviated letters individually is always an acronym?!? It's just a modern trend, so that people think they sound more wordy.

And, as every dictionary (proper dictionary, so Collins, Penguin, Oxford, Websters, whatever) in print goes with the definition that acronym is pronounced as a word, not a set of letters, I'll go with that, thanks. Besides, that quote you use is arguing semantics over the Greek translation, which is sophistry.

See? You've made me move onto the really big words, now!

Still ma bitch!

Comment

/sees that dazzling them with brilliance isn't working, so he hopes to baffle them with bull****

:: confetti flies into the air ::

Look, it's Angelina Jolie!

/runs off

Comment

Ah, this is the best fun I've had all week! Which is sad, considering it's discussion words and their usage...

I really should get out more....

Comment

why bother naming AAA titles, there's too many to mention

Comment

Funny, I always thought a AAA title was one that my peers and I regarded as being an undisputable classic. Ergo in my book Psyvariar is just as much a AAA title as Halo. The latest Tomb Raider is not AAA because it stinks (although the first game is AAA) but it is a killer app because it has undoubtedly sold systems.

I've never heard sales people talk about AAA titles, I always thought it was a gamer's term (but then I don't speak to many sales people, so what do I know ).

BTW arguments about the English language are great, especially as there always seems to be two answers to every question. Just don't get me started on whether "Bridget Jones' Diary" should have an extra "s" .

Comment

Answer... it shouldn't. But it still does get one
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

My interpretation of "AAA" has always been a title that is guaranteed to sell well and appeal to the masses regardless of its quality (it certainly doesn't have to apply only to crap, overrated games).

e.g. On PS2, I would consider MGS2, GT3, GTA3, Enter The Matrix and Tomb Raider as "AAA" titles - games which people recognise and will go out and buy a PS2 for. Similarly, Halo on Xbox and Zelda WW and Metroid Prime on on GC.

On the other hand, there are games such as Ico, Psyvariar and VF4 Evo which for me wouldn't be "AAA" because those aren't the games that sell PS2s to the majority of the games-playing public even though those are for me some of the best on the PS2.

I guess that point of view comes from finding the whole "AAA" thing being over-used in marketing strategies.

Comment

Just don't get me started on whether "Bridget Jones' Diary" should have an extra "s"
                                These days, either is acceptable.

Somebody...please...kill me....

Comment

Working...
                                X