"AAA" games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"AAA" games

I know GT3 and Metal Gear Solid 2: SoL are "AAA" titles for the PS2.

What other games are rated "AAA"?

I've never understood the whole 'AAA' thing, unless it's a clever acronym that I'm missing. I've never heard of an 'AA' title, or anything else referencing a letter of any type. Who awards the 'AAA' rating, as it seems to be just a tool to hype up something else.

If it's just an indication of quality, I expect Virtua Fighter 4 Evo will fall into the catagory (judging by comments on here... I haven't bought it as I'm a complete spazeroid on 3D beat em' ups). I'd personally place Ring of Red, which I loved dearly and Guilty Gear X2 on the list too.

But it seems to be a fairy euphemeral catagory, as games are often given the label before reviews. Deep down, I suspect it means absolutely nothing, other than to identify the most hyped game on any given platform.

- Corrupt Rose

Comment

I've never understood the whole 'AAA' thing, unless it's a clever acronym that I'm missing.
      [old pedantic rant]It's not an acronym, it's an abbreviation. An acronym is pronounced as a word, like LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) or SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus).[/old pedantic rant]

In fact, it's neither: an 'A' grade of something just means it's the best of its kind, and 'AAA' is hyperbole. Oh my God, I'm such a gimp...

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
        I've never understood the whole 'AAA' thing, unless it's a clever acronym that I'm missing.
        [old pedantic rant]It's not an acronym, it's an abbreviation. An acronym is pronounced as a word, like LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) or SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus).[/old pedantic rant]
        Excellent. Don't worry about the Rant, I'm always looking to refine my understanding and use of the English language (even though it's my first... my war against txt spk continues). Much appreciated pointer. Thankyou.

I compensate for my curmudgeon-esque impulses by trying to learn another language. Mandarin at the moment. Slowly!

---

But if 'AAA' is just a hyperbolisation of the grade 'A', then surely it ought to follow grades properly. A = A, AA = A+, and AAA = A*. Of course, that's not going to have as much impact.

Comment

AAA = publisher speak for big, guaranteed sales. a system seller, a killer app.

publishers can blow lots cash on advertising a AAA title knowing that they will sell way more than enough to cover it. Their sales department will look good.

the kind of game a publisher will put all their weight behind.

Comment

Useless trivia alert:

In US baseball, the "division" system works like this:

Major League

Minor League
            Triple A (AAA)
            Double A (AA)
            Single A (A)

Each franchise (e.g. Boston Red Sox) has a number of "farm" teams in each division (AAA, AA, A), where players can be promoted and demoted through the divisions. There is no team promotion or demotion, like we have in football here.

So, this is the only time I have heard of single or double A being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
              I'm not sure if this is entirely true. Wouldn't something such as CIA or FBI be an acronym? I don't believe they have to be say-able. Abbreviations are shorting of single words, while acronyms are shorting of multiple words using the first letter(s) of each word. Whether or not those letters create their own word is not entirely necessary.

Dictionary.com defines it thusly:

ac?ro?nym ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-nm)
              n.

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
              So there

Comment

I think what Treble's saying is that things like FBI and CIA are acronyms because the individual words mean something, whereas 'AAA' is not, because it's effectively meaningless.

- Corrupt Rose

Comment

ab?bre?vi?a?tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-brv-shn)
                  n.
                  The act or product of shortening.
                  A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts or USMC for United States Marine Corps.

Could both be right? According to the definitions, it looks like it.

Comment

Hhmm... I suppose it could, though I refuse to say that Treb is totally right. I refuse on the grounds that he is a spiteful little bint and should be punished. PUNISHED!

Oh, and Rose, I knew what he meant. I was just questioning his definition of what AAA might be. If AAA has no real meaning at all, then the point if moot anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                      AAA = publisher speak for big, guaranteed sales. a system seller, a killer app.

publishers can blow lots cash on advertising a AAA title knowing that they will sell way more than enough to cover it. Their sales department will look good.

the kind of game a publisher will put all their weight behind.
                      I prefer to take the orwellian stance on this.

In 'Newspeak', 'AAA' would just become A++, as in A-Double-plus.

um, carry on.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that an acronym is a proper word made up of other words, such as LASER or RADAR. CIA, FBI, RPG etc are not acronyms, but abbreviations.

Anyway, AAA title for me always meant a title that a reasonable number of gamers agree is one of the best games of its type. A system seller is a Killer App. What contistutes a reasonable number of gamers is unquanitifiable, so don't ask me .

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
                          In 'Newspeak', 'AAA' would just become A++, as in A-Double-plus.
                          A++ would be A-plus-one not A-double-plus.

you could have (A++)++ I suppose. That would really mean C rather than AAA tho.

*edit* oops, I should read more. that would be coders speak, not 'newspeak'.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                            I'm pretty sure that an acronym is a proper word made up of other words, such as LASER or RADAR. CIA, FBI, RPG etc are not acronyms, but abbreviations.
                            Well, the official definition for acronym includes such things as CIA, and I remember that being taugh in school, so I think it's safe to say so, as well as safe in calling them an abbreviation. No harm no foul either way.

Comment

What about the FF:Real Bout way?

C
                              B
                              A
                              AA
                              AAA
                              S
                              SS
                              SSS
                              Miracle

Anyway... my pick for AAA games are...

Super Mario 64
                              Super Mario World
                              Goldeneye (I'd say PD but everyone else won't agree - grrr)
                              Virtua Fighter 4:Evo
                              Super Street Fighter 2 X

Comment

Working...
                              X