Arkanoid DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arkanoid DS

Am I missing the first play for this or am I first in? I know others have it.

Anyway, arrived today and so these are like the rawest bloody steak of first impressions: It's Arkanoid. With a paddle. And a big space in the middle.

The graphics are functional but look absolutely fine. Sound seems great with some nice music. Already the space in the middle is causing me a slight bit of trouble. It never did in things like Metroid Pinball so I was a little surprised that it does in this. It's just that if the ball hits the wall in that blank space, it can be quite disorientating and while you can guess where the ball will come from, it still feels like a surprise.

But that's just one thing. The game seems solid.

The paddle, well, I'm surprised. Opening it up, the plastic sounded cheap and light. It's designed to fit in the old DS so there's a load of extra plastic there for those of us with Lites (which as far as I can tell includes everyone on the planet). But when I actually turn the paddle, wow, it feels great. It's got its own momentum - I'm sure there's a word for that mechanism but I don't know what it is. It feels really good.

I've just tried a mode called 'clear' so far. The menus seem to vary between Japanese and English but so far it doesn't seem hard to figure out. There's a Wifi option - don't know if that means you can play online or anything.

Sounds good, I have it but not allowed it until Christmas lol.
    What colour paddle did you get? mine was white.

Comment

Yeah mine is white too. But with the colour and the plastic, it's actually a harder white than my DS so it doesn't match as well as I hoped but I guess that's not exactly a big deal.

Comment

I just got this and I have to say I'm really pleased with it. The paddle is a very nice quality and the game itself is great too, very nostalgic. One thing bugs me though, whenever the paddle is in the GBA slot the battery seems to drain really fast. Today I only played for half an hour or so and left it in sleep mode the rest of the day which drained the entire battery. Anyone else have this problem as well?

Comment

had this for a few months. the paddle canes your battery but is really the only enjoyable way to play it.

my favourite is Quest Mode...which you unlock in the clear mode. some really fiendish levels. can spend the credits you win on different sprites/backgrounds. so all my blocks are space invaders now!

vs mode is not so good, although ive only played the ai. found it better if i removed the barrier so you only get one chance as the higher level opponents can clear a screen in seconds but quite often let the ball fall.!!

I've unlocked everything now tho so doubt I will play it again. so if anyone wants to buy it....

Comment

Just checking, have you unlocked uranoid & all the extra levels?

Comment

nope, only the clear game and quest mode...just checked game faqs for the code to the uranoid levels so will do them on my next night shift

never knew they existed...do you get told about em by the game and ive missed it due to the language barrier or are they secret? i'm glad actually as i felt quite let down that nothing happened at the end of quest mode.
              Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 30-06-2008, 21:26.

Comment

Looks like they have changed the way you get uranoid on the usa version it's no longer a code you put in apparently. In the usa version you have to fully complete clear mode to get it this time.

edit, ah you have the jpn version. Yeah at the end of each branch you are told a piece of the code in the ending story bit, only when you have seen all of the story bits for each branch can you piece the code together.

You can buy extra levels for uranoid from the shop.

Comment

I presume that only the Japanese version is available with the paddle?

I had this game on the Atari 800 XL and could play for well over an hour. The paddle would be the only way to play.

Comment

Yeah only the japanese version has the paddle bundled in with it but the usa version still works with the paddle as well so you can just buy the paddle separately.

Comment

Which of course raises the question as to where you can buy the paddle.

Comment

Thanks.

I may try to get the Japanese version with the controller included. I assume it is reasonably easy to navigate.

Comment

The game arrived today (I'd completely forgotten I'd ordered it and Yes-Asia don't seem to send an email nowadays to notify of shipment). I like the feel of the controller. The game brought back memories, but of course the screen layout looks a little different to the version I played on the Atari 800 XL...

Comment

Working...
                          X