Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know? Interesting gaming facts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know? Interesting gaming facts...

Thought it might be a good-ish idea to have a thread featuring interesting one sentence gaming facts that may not be that well known. I hope to learn some lovely nuggets of gaming info here

I'll begin with...

The Atari Lynx was originally developed by Epyx, where it was known as the Handy. Due to high costs, Epyx sold it to Atari.

Let's try and keep it one fact per post.
    Last edited by hudson; 24-01-2008, 11:47.

The SNES was the first console with downloadable content.

Comment

Nintendos first product line was (Hanafuda) playing cards in 1889

Comment

The artist responsible for the "Densha Otoko" spin-off manga/anime "Getsumento Heiki Mi-na" designed the costumes for No More Heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post

Tell me more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post

Tell me more.
            Satellaview

Comment

This is a great idea for a thread, sadly I can offer no interesting facts of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                According to Wikipedia, Sega beat Nintendo for that with one year...

But! Looks like it wasn't totally new idea...

Intellivision had downloadable games in 1981!

Edit: Oh, I didn't know that myself. I just followed Hoolak's link...
                Last edited by Guts; 24-01-2008, 08:28.

Comment

-Before Sony had their own line of games consoles, they also produced a model of MSX, which had an early version of Microsoft Windows (D)OS from 1981. Talk about bad omen.

-When Sony finished the final design for the PS2, they actually stole it from the ATARI PC.

Comment

The first game to use parallax scrolling was Moon Patrol in 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                      According to Wikipedia, Sega beat Nintendo for that with one year...

But! Looks like it wasn't totally new idea...

Intellivision had downloadable games in 1981!

Edit: Oh, I didn't know that myself. I just followed Hoolak's link...
                      I didn't know about the Intellivision, but I would have said the Famicom Disk System beat the SNES, since it was designed around downloading games onto disk.

Did you know...

The name Metroid is a portmanteau of the words "metro system" (as in subway, or underground) and "android", because the designers thought Samus looked like an android and that the underground tunnels were like a Metro System, hence... Metroid.

It was in a televised interview on Japanese TV, and a copy of N*Revolution magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak View Post
                        The name Metroid is a portmanteau of the words "metro system" (as in subway, or underground) and "android", because the designers thought Samus looked like an android and that the underground tunnels were like a Metro System, hence... Metroid.

It was in a televised interview on Japanese TV, and a copy of N*Revolution magazine.
                        Brilliant, thanks.

Comment

If you played Halo 3 before the official street date, you were banned from live. Those who are yet to be banned, it's just a matter of time. At least, that's what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbob View Post
                            If you played Halo 3 before the official street date, you were banned from live. Those who are yet to be banned, it's just a matter of time. At least, that's what I heard.

Golly - does that include the beta

Linked to that - Microsoft were the first company to start banning users from components of its console services...

Comment

great thread idea!

populous only became a god game because peter molyneux didn't know how to code path finding routines for controlling the little men, so instead he let them wander and gave the player the 'hand of god' instead, starting quite a trend.

SEGA stands for 'SErvice GAmes'.
                              CAPCOM stands for 'CAPsule COMputers'.

Microsoft once tried to buy out Nintendo only for Nintendo to think it was some kind of joke after just posting record profits for Pokémon (this is prior to the original xbox).

Metroid flopped in Japan and the development on a follow-up was put on hold, but due to high sales in the US and Europe was resumed again. It was this lack of faith in Gunpei Yokoi's game designs and the later flop of his virtual boy which led him to leave Nintendo.

The US and European release Super Mario Bros 2 isn't a proper Super Mario game, Mario Bros 2 was deemed too difficult for western gamers so they just rebranded Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic instead, the japanese version of Mario Bros 2 was later released as 'The Lost Levels' in the SNES compilation cart, and the Mario branded version of Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic was sold back to japan as Super Mario Bros USA.

Unirally 2 was canned when Pixar sued the studio for ripping off one of it's short animations (production of the original was also ceased)

The designer of Street Fighter II's (Akira Yasuda?) favorite character is Zangief.

Tommahawk, DeeJay and Fei Long from 'The New Challengers' were designed by Capcom USA, Cammy was designed by Capcom Japan. Thus explaining why they sucked
                              Last edited by Pirotic; 24-01-2008, 09:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X