Family Ski / We ski (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Ski / We ski (Wii)

Got my Wii Fit last week and also this when I was browsing Yes Asia noticed this also works with the balance board. Had about an hour on this today.

For those who have never heard of this, it's a Namco Bandai skiing game with cutesy graphics (you can import your Mii and kit them out with gear from the shop). The first mode I tried was free Ski. You start at the bottom of the mountain and go to ski lift centres to go up to the next point. You can continue up by taking further lifts but as you go higher the more difficult the slopes get.

There are plenty of people on the slopes and in the resting areas to talk to. Some offer advice, some idle chat and some challenge you. All in written English.

The skiiing itself involves using the wii mote and the nunchuck as the ski sticks. You push into the snow to get speed and turn by tilting your body. All very realstic (to a point, more of which later). If you are lucky enough to have the balance board you get the extra ability to steer via moving your balance. I found this far more realisitic.

Other gameplay modes include Race and multiplayer split screen. Race modes include standard downhill, slalom (my fave) and moguls. There is a nice replay after each race. There is also a strange photo mode which I have yet to see the value of.

Now to the big issue and also the big letdown for me. The Wii mote and Nunchuck are not independent of each other. ie. you cannot action L&R ski sticks separately which I think destroys a lot of the realism. The controls also do not recognise a crouch position. Several times I wanted to slipstream (is that the term?) down by crouching but it is not built into the game. This means that the movement is limited to pushing down on skis and steering. No more than that.

As I said, only had an hour or so and still plenty for me to dig up. Don't regret buying it at all but I think the Wii (and balance board) have got plenty of scope for a more realistic skii sim.

Picture of my son playing.
    Last edited by Mr Ono; 13-02-2008, 22:42. Reason: Add picture.

Excellent first impressions, glad to hear most of it's in English as well. Hopefully mine should be here by tomorrow, can't wait, still haven't received my wii fit though which was ordered before this. How did you get the board synced, as you said you were having problems with it in the other thread.

Comment

I watched a youtube vid linked to in the headlines thread and I'm sure the guy playing crouched to go faster and his onscreen guy did the same. Is it done via button instead?

afaik slipstreaming would be going behind someone else to lower wind resistance so it's probably not the perfect word btw, don't know what is though!

Comment

It's called a 'shush' (sp?) when you drop down into a tuck

I was really looking forward to getting this myself, but think i'll wait for some more info now after reading your views, so thanks for posting.

Comment

They should release that alpine racer or that skateboarding arcade game made by the jet set radio team. Those would be fantastic for the balance board.

This sounds great, im still waiting on nintendo to release wii fit in the uk though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
            How did you get the board synced, as you said you were having problems with it in the other thread.
            The issue was that I forgot that the board needed "calibrate" your weight each time you played and therefore, like Wii Fit, you have to be off the board first then get on when prompted. I was always on the board when the game was loading in keen anticipation

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
              I was always on the board when the game was loading in keen anticipation
              Ha ha I know what you mean, my wii fit finally turned up this afternoon and I've done that a few times already with a warning telling me to get off the board.

Comment

played this last night, while i wait for my board to arrive.

you can crouch. you need to crouch and turn both controllers inwards.

shows you how to do it in one of the ski school lessons

Comment

This arrived today, only had a quick 10 minute blast on it with the wii board, seems like a fun game so far, the nunchuck wire gets annoying at times though.

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                  There are plenty of people on the slopes and in the resting areas to talk to. Some offer advice, some idle chat and some challenge you. All in written English.
                  Mines all written in Japanese, is there a language option somewhere as I can't find anything. If not are you playing it on a modded wii, mines a JP Wii so if your maybe playing it on PAL or US then thats interesting that the language has switched over.
                  Last edited by Phar; 15-02-2008, 17:36.

Comment

i'm playing on a US Wii, and the text is in English.

some screens have "ERROR: NO MESSAGE" though

Comment

Originally posted by kez View Post
                      i'm playing on a US Wii, and the text is in English.

some screens have "ERROR: NO MESSAGE" though
                      Right thanks for clearing that up, it's not really that difficult to navigate round the menus anyway so not too bothered, out of interest what bits of the game do you get the "ERROR: NO MESSAGE"

Comment

Yeah, I am playing on a US modded Wii and get the ERROR, NO MESSAGE as well, generally on pop up menus but not on character bubbles - which are all in English.

NOt a big issue for me though. I may get the NTSC-U version when it comes out as well.

Comment

Loving this game at the minute, from playing the free ski mode it looks like theres about 160 challenges and events, when I select my mii on start up it says 22/160 so theres definitely enough to keep you coming back to it to complete everything.

Managed to unlock a few different bits of skiing kit and a few different costumes

unlocked a kimono

. Tried it with both the nunchuck & remote and the wii board, it's like a different game almost using the board, it adds a lot to it, makes maneuvering about a lot easier than having to point the remote in the direction you want to go.

The random weather effects are pretty good as well, one minute everything is pretty calm, the next time there could be a blizzard. Theres also a nice J-Pop soundtrack when using the ski lifts.

Can anyone who's playing this in english let me know how you get rankings on each course, I'm assuming it's how fast you do it in and without hitting anything, managed to get a few A ranks and haven't got a clue how I did it.

Comment

I don't think there's a US or UK release date yet.

Had my first run down a hill just now so can't give any detailed impressions, but it's far more controllable (using the board) than the skiing in Wii Fit.

Comment

Also guys, I'm a bit confused (not tricky) about when I'm supposed to be on the board.... Do I have to click the board on the main menu each time to activate it? And then presumably OFF the board? And then ON the board while selecting a character, ready for game start?

Comment

Working...
                              X