No announcement yet.

pc engine cd help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, well i'll be requiring full reimbursment for shipping back to japan if that is the case, or it's gonna be negative city.

Comment

ok, the seller has asked if i can get it fixed in the uk and if so, he will foot the bill. so how much for the lens, chaoticjelly? is it a hop-m3 model like the one in this guide (which is the one i will be following)?
      also, how can i pay you? thanks for your help once again

Comment

Wow dude you got lucky with that seller like.

Comment

sorry to ressurect this thread, but this whole pc engine saga has only just come to a close and although it's taken quite a while, it ended quite well for me. Just thought I'd go over the story, since it might be of help to others.
          I bought the duo-r, boxed, from ebay seller Hit-Japan for $150 and $70 EMS shipping to the UK on 17th february (and paid immediately via paypal). It arrived on 26th february and, of course, it was knackered. The seller told me he'd pay for repairs. I bought a HOP-M3 laser from chaoticjelly for £23 I think it was, which is probably the cheapest you can get it. I tried using a torx T10 driver to open the console, but it wouldn't fit. My duo-r seems uncommon in that it has screws like torx, but with a tiny pin in the star shaped hole to prevent them being opened with regular torx drivers. This tripped me up for a while, but I eventually got a set of security torx drivers which have holes to accomodate the pin. pain in the ass. the T10 security worked. however after replacing the laser, following the guide here http://www.teamfremont.com/features/...uoRepair.shtml, it still didn't work and it was starting to get on my tits. Thankfully chaoticjelly offered to attempt the repair for me, so he had DHL pick it up from my house and send it to his place. He got back to me very soon, and had fixed the duo-r, no problem. The fault was not with the actual lens so he knocked the HOP-M3 off the repair costs and I got it back a few days later. It played everything perfectly. He'd even resoldered some of the inner joints so the picture was very steady (before it was quite temperamental where the aerial cable thing connected and the picture would 'disconnect' if I breathed in its general direction). Rondo of blood is kickin' ass. Chaoticjelly let me pay after it was all completed (the repair, not rondo of blood) so bonus points there. Now the difficult part came; getting the readies back off Hit-Japan. chaotic made me up a very professional pdf bill (well, he is a professional) and I sent it to the seller. I emailed him several times, and sent him messages on ebay. When he replied he seemed to have forgotten about the situation and was asking odd questions. I should probably mention that his english is not perfect, and it may have been easier to have just corresponded in japanese, but it is workable. eventually I opened a dispute in ebay (although i couldn't actually use the dispute console to respond because it is a pile of festering crap and had arbitrarily decided that some random word in my response was 'prohibited', but it wouldn't tell me which one, all part of the fun i guess). after a few more emails (the seller seemed to be hoping i would forget about it if he didn't take any action, but i suppose he couldn't ignore a dispute for long) he replied saying he would pay the bill via paypal and asked for my address. huzzah. today I received payment of £47. I'm quite astonished. Hit-Japan gets in boxed pc engines every week or two and after everything that's happened I have to say that he is an ok seller. He seems to have a bit of notoriety (chaotic guessed the situation was his handiwork before i even said anything) and has arsed things up in the past (i also bought a boxed saturn and a handful of games from him; the saturn was perfect but the games were all wrong, grandia digital museum instead of grandia, satakore version of puzzle bobble when the picture was the original etc). But I got out of it with a great condition boxed pc engine duo-r at a good price, although factoring in the cost in time and effort is important. the real hero of this story is chaoticjelly and his technical sorcery. james, i tip my hat to you.

sorrel

Comment

Punctuation man! My eyes hurt, and I only got to the second line.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

you mean capitals and ****? usually i don't bother with them if it's only a short message on the net, but i kinda passed the point of no return on this one... soz

Comment

Lol, I think you're sorted now. Great news.

Dracula X h'ain't that good really anyway, despite what you hear. HuCard ftw!
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  Dracula X h'ain't that good really anyway, despite what you hear. HuCard ftw!
                  Just the kind of thing that someone who has invested blood, sweat and tears (not to mention cold, hard cash) into getting a Duo to work wants to hear!

Comment

nah, i like rondo of blood. the second bloody tears kicked in i knew it was all cool. just think it looks a bit ass on my HD, but then so do all my games. don't know if it's the best castlevania around. gets beaten by circle of the moon at least (thanks damo, finally beat dracula the other day, about seven years after getting the original pal release). I have jap symphony of the night for playstation, but my chipped psx is at my dad's house, so all my jap playstation games are just gathering dust right now. so i have £25 waiting for anyone with a complete saturn version ;-) i did kinda get the duo, not exclusively, but especially for rondo of blood. in hindsight it might have been easier to just get a psp and dracula x chronicles...

Comment

The PSP port of Dracula X is pretty terrible, and you'd be forced to play it with that accursed d-pad. So I think you made the right choice, TBH. It might have cost you an arm and a leg but it's the purist version of the game currently available; plus you have a lovely Duo to play other great games on, too.

Glad you enjoyed Circle of the Moon mate!

Comment

doesn't the dracula x chronicles have the orignal version as an unlockable or something? think i'll wait a few years before i get a psp though really.

Comment

Yeah I'm talking about the 'original'...it's not very well emulated and the German speech in the intro has been changed - d'oh!

Comment

Working...
                          X