Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Predictions for the Future of Retro Gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it comes to games like Halo2, I think the issues surrounding its retro worth, and online situation, are a pointless debate, because Halo3 delivers the same experience, only much better.
    You think so? I have a lot of good memories of playing both...

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
      the online problem is exactly why I generally stear clear of online games, and the new gen consoles altogether. I do have many fantastic memories of playing phantasy star online on the dreamcast when i was at highschool, which i will always remember. Some times I want to go back to those days, but of course I can't. But I think a lot of those kinds of games would not really stand the test of time, so maybe it's best that they remain offline and we can remember them in their glory days. Probably not a popular idea amongst us retro gamers, but some things you have to let go of and enjoy them for what they were at the time.

Hmm. PSO only went down about a year back. Did you try to enjoy it up until then?

I think in cases such as PSO Dreamcast, where SEGA showed loyalty no other company ever has to a tiny still-active userbase, it's really only the users who are to blame for deserting the title. By all respects considering how everyone simply ditched PSO Dreamcast en masse and then waxed lyrical about it for the 4 years+ afterwards when it was online still the entire time, parties like Sonic Team and SEGA really cannot be blamed.

For PSOBB, though, and XBOX PSO, yes. The latter especially - not even a bloody announcement to the many Western players who still used it.

So agreed very much on the whole, but there are exceptions. Though then again, I see what you're saying - decent of SEGA or not, it doesn't change the fact that online titles are inherently terminal. PSO would have regardless died one day all the same, sooner or later, never to allow the online magic again.

I don't bloody care if it was a 'game'; it was all the same, in its finality, soul-crushing.

And look what happened with Outrun 2006 PSP/PS2. Nary a word from any party. It's outrageous and hugely disheartening.

Comment

XBL XNA or other similar ideas which allow people to create their own projects then distribute on a wide scale may see bedroom coders make more Retro-esque games....

hopefully

Comment

I don't bloody care if it was a 'game'; it was all the same, in its finality, soul-crushing.
          i don't think it was a game. i'm not huge on online games, because I stick to console games and the periods I'm most interested in didn't have many, but MMORPGs and the like can't really be compared to experiences other games have to offer. It's kind of sad to say in some respects, but it's like a second life and when it gets taken away, of course it's crushing. But, because it's more like life than offline games, it's reminds me of having to let go of other times, rather than games. I miss times in my life when I was particularly happy, but you can never go back to them, and if you try to, it often winds up worse. which is what I meant before. But you're right, I stopped playing before the Dreamcast's day was done, but that was because it was one of the most badly moderated games ever and the rampant cheating (I'll never forget the word GUK or PK) ruined the experience (I recall one time I actually pulled the disc out of the console and dashed it at a wall, breaking it, and went out the next day to buy another copy). But such is life, and I won't forget the good times, so I think, unlike other beloved classics like Final Fantasy VII and Link's Awakening, PSO has given all it's got to give, and replaying it wouldn't bring back the old joy. R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
            You think so? I have a lot of good memories of playing both...
            I've been thinking about this. I don't think the online component of Halo2 matters that much, but I do think people will want to go back to the single-player mode.

Comment

It depends how you experienced it I suppose, I did almost nothing but play the online stuff. It's even moreso the case for Halo 3 - that IS the game for me, I can't remember the last time I even played the SP part!

Comment

For me, Halo 2 was all about the multiplayer. I don't know why, but i absolutely loved Halo 2's multiplayer, but thought the single player was dire, where as i find the multiplayer and the single player in halo 3 really boring.

It's the map design etc, all the good ones are never used in the modes i play.

I remember when i first got the beta, it felt so fun at the time, even the 3rd map lookng back on it is one of the better ones in the game. But yeah, halo 2's map "Lockout" is still one of my favourate multiplayer maps in any game.
                Last edited by Synthesthesia; 15-03-2008, 01:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                  It depends how you experienced it I suppose, I did almost nothing but play the online stuff. It's even moreso the case for Halo 3 - that IS the game for me, I can't remember the last time I even played the SP part!
                  I wasn't saying that the single-player is great, or that it's better than the multi-player side of things.

I was just saying that Halo3 has such a similar, but better online component, that I can't see any Halo3 players having a desire to go back to Halo2 online, in the future.

Fans of the Halo2 single-player experience, will probably find some entertainment value in going back to the game in 10years or more.

My main point is that games like Halo2/3, usually have similar online modes, which get better with every iteration. Multi-player is all about competition, functionality, and options. Halo3 clearly improves on Halo2 in the online area. I think the same thing could be said of a lot of fps titles.

There will always be exceptions though. Quake3 is a game that wasn't really betterd with no4, so lots of people still have a desire to play no3 instead. Quake3 is coming out for LiveArcade, which proves that old multi-player fps titles, can still be desirable.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-03-2008, 04:07.

Comment

in my opinion physical copies of old skool games will never be beaten by a digital downloads DRM will make sure it stays that way, and i agree about the online element in most recent games, in fact almost all of the ps2 games that had a online mode have no more servers online at all, it's a shame too, the same will happen for ps3 games when the next console comes out, games that rely heavily on a online mode will be come completly useless and unplayable (just like my sealed copy of planet ring on the dreamcast is unplayable offline as it was a complete online only game)

Comment

I agree with Huyi - online delivery could be a bad thing for retro gaming. In the short-term, software piracy damages the industry. However, the long-term value of these games is dependent on the ability to copy them onto new hardware and media. At one stage in the Amiga scene it was common to see publishers release CD-ROM compilations of classic games that were based on the pirated version (IIRC, Epic UK took this approach with a compilation of Gremlin Graphics games). These games can also be patched to run on new hardware (faster processors, memory, hard disk installable) when necessary. Games that rely on online components are likely to be difficult if not impossible to play if that aspect is removed. In the future, I wonder if it will be possible to play certain XBox Live games as intended in our futuristic XBox360 emulators, or if we will be limited to DVD titles only. Will software authors need to recreate the xbox live system, in order to support online leaderboards and other features?

Comment

yes, thats another annoyance with DRM is that you are not in control with what you want to do with the download, they (or nintendo for example) can tell you what to do with your download and all sorts, if the console breaks then tough luck buy another one and pay for the download again, i will never support DRM in any shape or form.

Comment

I've recently been thinking back a couple of years to the many Friday nights spent playing Ghost Recon 2 and PGR2 online on the XBox. Have very fond memories of shooting terrorists in Quarry and Last Man Standing competitions around KBG corner. As much as I enjoy playing the latest versions of both games, I can't help but think that those Friday nights were more fun, so much so that I've bought copies of both for myself and a couple of mates so we can see if they are still as fun to play as I remember.

Although a bit buggy, PGR2 actually looks better on the 360 than I thought it would and is still very playable. GR2 hasn't aged quite as well, but seems to work ok on the 360 and online for both still works, though I've only seen 4 people online at most on both.

I'm not sure many of today's 'mainstream' gamers would give either of them a chance though - there's quite a big difference in the graphics department and after seeing the HD/NextGen versions, how many would overlook the old graphics to try the gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by FatGit_UK View Post
                            I've recently been thinking back a couple of years to the many Friday nights spent playing Ghost Recon 2 and PGR2 online on the XBox. Have very fond memories of shooting terrorists in Quarry and Last Man Standing competitions around KBG corner. As much as I enjoy playing the latest versions of both games, I can't help but think that those Friday nights were more fun, so much so that I've bought copies of both for myself and a couple of mates so we can see if they are still as fun to play as I remember.

Although a bit buggy, PGR2 actually looks better on the 360 than I thought it would and is still very playable. GR2 hasn't aged quite as well, but seems to work ok on the 360 and online for both still works, though I've only seen 4 people online at most on both.

I'm not sure many of today's 'mainstream' gamers would give either of them a chance though - there's quite a big difference in the graphics department and after seeing the HD/NextGen versions, how many would overlook the old graphics to try the gameplay?
                            I think that most people interested in playing old games, are a small group, who are usually very obsessive about gaming.

A lot of people are "Anti Old" ... in every area of entertainment. I know people who moan when I recommend they watch an old movie, or listen to classic music.

Some people simply want a constant stream of new things. They thrive on living for the new, and have no interest in the past.

My Brother acts like I'm asking him to eat moldy green bread, when I suggest he plays an old Xbox game, and even worse a 16bit title.

I was playing PGR2 a few months back. On my 360 it looks dodgy, for some reason, but on the Xbox through component, it looks very nice still, and runs well.

In fact... a lot of Xbox games still look pretty good. It's not that long ago that they were the best around, though.

I can't stand 32bit 3D games. I started buying classic PS1 games last year, but realised how blocky and horrible they look now, so I stopped buying them.

I always enjoy going back to old classic games. My best mate loves old games too, which helps, but I really don't care anymore what people think. Playing F-Zero on the snes, can give me even more pleasure than playing Forza2, PGR4 etc.... I will never stop playing my favourite games of yesteryear.

Comment

Working...
                            X