Retro Core Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
    Nice mod! The stock video on the N64 is really lousy, even back in the day I thought it looked awful. I remember playing one of the demo units in HMV and thinking the dot crawl looked awful on it.

The weird thing is I don't really mind stock composite on something properly old, but there really was no excuse for them having it on the N64 and it's one of the barriers that has made the idea of actually buying the console something that I keep kicking down the road. Any time I think about getting one, I start weighing up the bother of getting it, getting it modded, finding a pad with a non-knackered joystick and err (whisper it) I don't like much of the Nintendo first-party output so I'd be doing it all for a system where I only truly want maybe a dozen games on it. And most of those games aren't that cheap and neither is the Everdrive...

Still, at least the RGB bit is sorted! It's great what people are knocking up nowadays.
    I agree. The fact that the video on an N64 looks like **** had always put me off buying one. Why Nintendo thought that was acceptable is a mystery. Even a super highend HDMI modded N64 still looks like crap due the the nature of the N64 video out. Its as if it has an always on heavy film grain effect over the graphics.

Comment

120fps and up to 4K streaming and capture? Could this be the device for those on a budget?

Comment

It's time for some more Brook goodness!

Comment

Portable HDR gaming monitor - Any good?

Comment

This is one of the newer "High-end budget" tablets. Is it really any good?

Comment

Just picked up this pretty cheap monitor for work. Turns out it's perfect for gaming!

Comment

Oops, double post.

Comment

Not sure how I missed it on YouTube itself but you'd done an April pickups video and it wasn't here!

Some interesting stuff grabbed there, particularly liked the PS1 pickups this time. The Japanese PS1 library is so huge and overwhelming (and often very cheap). Finding the bowling game in the street was great! The gliding game looks alright too, I'm a fan of console flying games. Can imagine it being difficult, I used to play Flight Simulator 95 on the PC like mad and I could never master the glider.

Also in the "can't deal with the standard N64 pads" club and let us know how you get on with the PS2/FMCB/SATA combo as it's next on my list to do! I'm particularly interested in seeing what the game compatibility is truly like as I can't really get a clear answer.

Comment

Not sure how I missed it on YouTube itself but you'd done an April pickups video and it wasn't here!

Some interesting stuff grabbed there, particularly liked the PS1 pickups this time. The Japanese PS1 library is so huge and overwhelming (and often very cheap). Finding the bowling game in the street was great! The gliding game looks alright too, I'm a fan of console flying games. Can imagine it being difficult, I used to play Flight Simulator 95 on the PC like mad and I could never master the glider.

Also in the "can't deal with the standard N64 pads" club and let us know how you get on with the PS2/FMCB/SATA combo as it's next on my list to do! I'm particularly interested in seeing what the game compatibility is truly like as I can't really get a clear answer.
                    Thanks for posting this. I thought I already had done but obviously not.
                    I've been using the PS2 sata mod for two weeks now and I have tried about 50 odd games so far. I did have a problem with Outrun 2 SP having no music but that was easily fixed by changing one of the boot options to actuate boot or something. After that, the game worked like a dream.
                    I've had no issues with any FMV skipping, saving or games with streaming level data. Everything is working great.
                    If there are any problems, highlighting one of the 6 boot options should fix the issue.

I would recommend using the updated OPL loader by GrimDoomer. It allows for unlimited storage plus simple drag and drop of ISO files. No messing about required.
                    Last edited by Yakumo; 10-05-2023, 04:06.

Comment

Just bought a new 4K webcam, but did I buy a stinker?

Comment

I notice that Topolo game comes in a fatter, European-style case. Is that common or rare for Japanese PS1 games?

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
                          I notice that Topolo game comes in a fatter, European-style case. Is that common or rare for Japanese PS1 games?
                          That's common for the earlier games. The're hundreds of Japanese PS1 cases like that. Actually, they're better than the EU cases as their not as fragile.

Comment

That’s interesting, I read a history of game cases, but it was mainly from western perspective and didn’t mention this. Surprising they changed the cases but maybe it was to reduce costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              That's common for the earlier games. The're hundreds of Japanese PS1 cases like that. Actually, they're better than the EU cases as their not as fragile.
                              Have you ever figured out if there's an exact date cut-off? The newest game I've got with that big case is Gran Turismo (Dec 97). I suspect they'll have retained the big cases in some cases due to bulky manuals though.

Comment

Have you ever figured out if there's an exact date cut-off? The newest game I've got with that big case is Gran Turismo (Dec 97). I suspect they'll have retained the big cases in some cases due to bulky manuals though.
                                I'm not sure to be honest but there is definitely a crossover period where normal Jewel cases were used at the same time. Just take a look at Ridge Racer or Cybersled. Both early releases but in standard Jewel cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X