No announcement yet.

Retro Core Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RS-97 is back but this time they may have finally gotten it right.
    We now get an all new IPS screen with a true 60Hz refresh rate and it has better performance.
    The machine also comes jam packed with roms for every system featured including a few PlayStation games.

Comment

How on earth can a battery bank be entertaining? Well, let's watch on.

Comment

After the awesome 8BitDo M30 pad which lets face it, was made for Sega fans, I wanted to see if their SN30 Pro + was just as good to use. And again, let's face it, this is made with Nintendo fans in mind. Just look at the colour and main body of the pad.

Last edited by Yakumo; 09-12-2019, 12:01.

Comment

A little late to the party on this one but that's okay because that means more time with the console. Here we go with a full review of the LDK Landscape edition. Many say it's less powerful that the portrait style system. Really?

Comment

Unreleased Mega Drive prototype of Akira.

Comment

Considering how bad the other Akira games are this looks like it might have been the best one, certainly seems they were adventurous in what they wanted to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Considering how bad the other Akira games are this looks like it might have been the best one, certainly seems they were adventurous in what they wanted to achieve.
                Very true but I can also see this being a bit of a dud had it been completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Very true but I can also see this being a bit of a dud had it been completed.
                  Yeah, it looks really ropey. I can imagine Konami or Capcom could have created something decent with the franchise, even if it might have been just an action game. Something inspired by Akira could have been better than trying to properly translate the movie into a game.

Comment

It reminds me a bit of the Ocean software movie games for micro computers where you'd have these hodgepodge of styles. Always a side scrolling action stage followed by driving then some incomprehensible puzzle stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      It reminds me a bit of the Ocean software movie games for micro computers where you'd have these hodgepodge of styles.
                      Those type of games from Ocean were total abominations. T2 is maybe the worst offender.

Comment

Lack the ability to use RGB?
                        Stuck using crappy composite video or the slightly better S-Video?
                        Then maybe you need the RAD2X HDMI solution for your Sega Saturn.

Full review and side by side comparison to RGB. I bought my own unit from Retro Gaming Cables UK. Here's the link - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...DMI-480P-CABLE

Comment

Ordered !!!!

Comment

The Mega Drive gets a bad rap when it comes to it's audio quality. This video sets out to show you that the Mega Drive can sound really good and I do mean really good! Each selection of music is recorded from real 1st generation Japanese Mega Drive Hardware. Sound engine name and developer also listed for each music track. Featuring music from the following games (Japanese titles used):

02:57 - Vapor Trail

04:44 - Thunder Force IV

07:14 - Rocket Knight Adventure

08:49 - Super Shinobi II

11:18 - Bare Knuckle II

12:45 - Galaxy Force II

14:07 - Gaiares

15:41 - Gauntlet

17:43 - Gynoug

19:13 - Mega Turrican

21:35 - TMNT

Apologise for the out of sync spectrum analyser on the last 3 music tracks. Please think about supporting the show by subscribing to the channel or becoming my patron. Thank you so much! http://www.patreon.com/retrocore

Comment

Some heavy hitters there, good choice on the slightly weirder alternate version of Go Straight from BK2.

I'm with you on this one, the MD has incredible sound when used properly. Most of the sound drivers used on western games are awful, particularly GEMS and the miserable Accolade in-house one. Really tinny and farty-sounding. That said, there were a few GEMS games that actually sounded alright, but I don't know what they did to pull it off. Other than what you've mentioned, the only sound drivers used by western devs that come to mind as being particularly good are the custom ones by Novotrade for Ecco 1/2 (and to a lesser extent Cyborg Justice), EA for Desert/Jungle Strike and JVP for the original Toejam & Earl.

My all-time favourite demonstration of the MD audio capabilities is the Zero Wing soundtrack which uses the Cube sound driver, incredibly punchy drums and great guitar riffs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efa_4_D0TD0

I'll have a proper listen to your video again when I've got my fancy speakers plugged back in, it deserves better than my lousy on-board monitor audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                                Most of the sound drivers used on western games are awful, particularly GEMS and the miserable Accolade in-house one. Really tinny and farty-sounding.
                                The way a lot of American Mega Drive games sound is definitely something I truly hate.

The SNES also has a lot of games that have strangely muffled audio and terrible sounding instruments. So there's also a huge divide between the best and worst sounding music like there is with the Mega Drive.

It's such a shame that some musicians were working with really bad dev tools during the 16-bit era.

Comment

Working...
                                X