X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Tekkaman about a school teacher?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      It's a shame the Tekkaman game is bad; I watched the anime back in the 90s and loved it as a kid.
      Pretty much all the anime games were bad besides a few exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Pretty much all the anime games were bad besides a few exceptions.
        Yeah; years ago I remember a website (I think it was GameFan, RIP) running an article about this topic. They made the sweeping generalisation (admitting it was probably a bit broad, but still) that while in the west, anime fans often lamented that those titles never made their way to their countries, that in Japan, anime games occupy a similar position to movie-tie-in games - i.e. most are poor, some are fun if you're a big fan, and a very small number are genuinely excellent.

Later experience suggests to me that this was right, too. In Japan in ~2007, Sega Saturn and PS1 games were at a rock bottom price, and PS2 games were cheap, too. I used to go to my local 2nd-hand games shop with £25-odd and I'd bring back literally a stack of games. I sometimes had evenings where I bought 10-15 Saturn games where I had no idea what any of them were, other than what I could glean from the cover (I'd usually get some beers and play maybe 20 minutes of each of them, then sell back the ones I couldn't get into for half the price the next week). Around this time I played tons of anime tie-in titles, even for shows I loved, and so many of them were utter crap.

Comment

Always liked your insight into SFC shooters on 00's Retro Core, [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], and this looks like it's going to be bloody brilliant

So far this year I've managed to play and finish Cotton 100%, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie and Phalanx. Enjoyed them all. I need to go back to Kiki Kaikai at some point, it's such a gorgeous game, but very tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Yeah; years ago I remember a website (I think it was GameFan, RIP) running an article about this topic. They made the sweeping generalisation (admitting it was probably a bit broad, but still) that while in the west, anime fans often lamented that those titles never made their way to their countries, that in Japan, anime games occupy a similar position to movie-tie-in games - i.e. most are poor, some are fun if you're a big fan, and a very small number are genuinely excellent.

Later experience suggests to me that this was right, too. In Japan in ~2007, Sega Saturn and PS1 games were at a rock bottom price, and PS2 games were cheap, too. I used to go to my local 2nd-hand games shop with £25-odd and I'd bring back literally a stack of games. I sometimes had evenings where I bought 10-15 Saturn games where I had no idea what any of them were, other than what I could glean from the cover (I'd usually get some beers and play maybe 20 minutes of each of them, then sell back the ones I couldn't get into for half the price the next week). Around this time I played tons of anime tie-in titles, even for shows I loved, and so many of them were utter crap.
            Yeah, I remember those days. Going down to MangaSoko with a th the equivalent of 50 pounds and coming home with 15 to 20 games. They were great days. Many were bad but there was always a few gems amongst them which made it worth while.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
              Always liked your insight into SFC shooters on 00's Retro Core, [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], and this looks like it's going to be bloody brilliant

So far this year I've managed to play and finish Cotton 100%, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie and Phalanx. Enjoyed them all. I need to go back to Kiki Kaikai at some point, it's such a gorgeous game, but very tough.
              I love Macross on the SFC. One of the best shooters of the generation.

Comment

Top man, keep on keepin' on.

Comment

What do we have here? A plug'n play Mega Drive built in to a joystick? Is it any good I wonder? Let's take a look.

Comment

Welcome to part 2 of this 4 part Retro Core 5 Special.
                    We are taking a look at all (to my knowledge) SFC / SNES shooter to be commercially available.

Check out part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6X0Y...

Please think about supporting the show by subscribing to the channel or becoming my patron. Thank you so much!
                    creating Gaming Videos - Hardware and software reviews

Comment

Lovin' these shooter vids! Gotta say, tho, I think Sonic Wings looks n' feels ACE, it wouldn't have looked out of place in a Blackpool arcade in 1988. Not only that, it's proper slick for a SNES shooter.

Look forward to parts 3&4!

Comment

Today we are taking a look at the generic PSP looking clone that's been around for a while. Are the more modern versions an improvement upon the original? Let's take a look.

Comment

Welcome to the third part of this four part special on the Retro Core Channel where we are taking a look at every single commercially available SFC / SNES shooter released. Please see part 1 for the rules of what classifies as a shooter for this series.

Comment

There are so many Famicom clones on the market and let's be honest, most are awful. This one however I actually like.

Comment

Welcome to the final part of this four part special on the Retro Core Channel where we are taking a look at every single commercially available SFC / SNES shooter released. Please see part 1 for the rules of what classifies as a shooter for this series.

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6X0Y...
                              Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Picg9...
                              Part 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA6pq...

Comment

The RG-350 promises many great points. True 60htz screen with v-sync. Glass screen, fast emulation and HDMI video out. Just how good is it? Let's take a look.

If you'd like to buy your own RG-350 you can pick one up at TomTop for 85.99 as of this video going live - https://www.tomtop.com/p-f1996b.html

Comment

Working...
                                X