No announcement yet.

Retro Core Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming headsets are quite expensive but there are budget options. Are they any good?

Comment

Two new Life in japan videos today.

Down at the game store selling my son's game. You actually get to hear me speaking Japanese in this video (Subtitled in English)

And the second video is of us getting a haircut down at the typical Japanese barber shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Down at the game store selling my son's game. You actually get to hear me speaking Japanese in this video (Subtitled in English)
        This was a great video @Yakumo, because it reminded me of my experiences doing similar things at Tsutaya, both for good and bad reasons. The part where the clerk asked you to write your name in Roman letters; was that because she assumed you wouldn't be able to do the alternative?

Stuff like this was one of my most common experiences over there which doesn't get talked about much; the kinda "handling" you get in Japan as a caucasian. People make assumptions about you, chief among them that you're going to embarrass them and make a scene with your poor comprehension of Japanese. It's a form of racism (couched a core of truth), but the weird thing is how Japanese culture makes this work; it manifests itself as a kind of sincere, excess politeness, which for me was fine at first but did start to grate on me after a year or so.

For instance, I used to like ordering Pizza-La on the phone. The reason for this is that was one of the only conversations I would ever have with a Japanese person where I would get through the entire thing without any excess politeness, any of that weird tension, because they would assume I was Japanese right up until the very last step where I'd give them my name. It had a very different tone to most of those "service interactions".

Conversely, when my parents visited, we had to get shinkansen tickets at a train station, and I still remember while waiting in the queue, my mum said to me the cashiers were giving her weird glances I looked myself and quickly surmised that they were measuring how many people were in the queue in front of us and working out who would have to serve the family of foreigners. When we got to the front, there was a hint of a sigh from the bloke we approached, before I launched into ordering the entire thing in Japanese, including off-script stuf like negotiating the type of ticket my parents had to buy as foreigners with those tourist passes. I didn't notice at the time but my dad said afterwards that there was a noticeable look of surprise from him and the two staff on the desks either side of him when I said the first bit of "the three of us need to go to Kyoto tomorrow, but it's complicated because we have different types of ticket".

It's difficult to feel too bad about this, because Japanese society is stereotypically a certain way, and there's a lot of truth to those expectations. Away from places like bars and nightclubs, Japanese people are quite quiet and respectful, and typically aren't loud and don't like making a scene. Conformity is a big deal. Also it's a society were 99% of the people are nationally, racially and linguistically Japanese, so interactions with foreigners are comparatively rare. As a result, you know as a foreign person you're disturbing the status quo, so you can't really judge people for it. I think some people can deal with that and some can't; I definitely knew some people who went back to their home countries having never gotten over it.

EDIT: Should probably add that this experience will vary from region-to-region. In Tokyo and Kyoto this didn't happen at all, because those places have big concentrations of both non-Japanese residents and tourists.
        Last edited by Asura; 16-06-2019, 09:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          This was a great video @Yakumo, because it reminded me of my experiences doing similar things at Tsutaya, both for good and bad reasons. The part where the clerk asked you to write your name in Roman letters; was that because she assumed you wouldn't be able to do the alternative?.
          no not at all. Everyone must write their name in Katakana. They use katakana for Japanese too. The reason is because Kanji have many different ways of saying them. So people write their name in Katakana with the Knaji underneath. This way they store / hotel / company knows how to pronounce the name and what Kanji should be used.

In my case the katakana is to help with the pronunciation while the romanji (roman letters) is used because we don't have kanji for our names.

I still had to write my address in Kanji so it deffinetly wasn't a case where she though I wasn't capable.

Comment

In my case the katakana is to help with the pronunciation while the romanji (roman letters) is used because we don't have kanji for our names.
            Ah, okay. This is what I misunderstood. I was always instructed to use katakana for each, because on my immigration documents, the katakana version was my "official name" - like my hanko etc. was in katakana.

Comment

An Awsome urban exploration video this week. So surprised to see what was around my area.

Comment

An Awsome urban exploration video this week. So surprised to see what was around my area.
                Wonderful footage as always [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], you're getting your money's worth out of that GoPro!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Wonderful footage as always [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], you're getting your money's worth out of that GoPro!
                  I sure am. Going to do more filming this coming Saturday night.

Comment

I finally got one, the PowKiddy X18

Comment

Considering how similar this looks to the GPD XD, I thought I’d find the specs for both to see how they compare...

GPD XD Plus Specifications:

• 1280*720 IPS Capacitive Touch Screen 5 Inch
                      • CPU Mediatek MT8176, Quad Core, Up-To 2.1Ghz
                      • GPU PowerVR GX6250
                      • RAM DDR3-SDRAM, 4GB
                      • Internal Storage eMMC, 32GB
                      • Extended storage T-FLASH (Support 128GB max)
                      • Wi-Fi Wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac - Dual Band [2.4Ghz/5Ghz]
                      • Built-In stereo speakers
                      • Mini HDMI Port
                      • 3 Axis G-sensor
                      • Android 7 Nougat
                      • Battery Li-Ion battery, 3.7V/6000mAh

Currently £210 on Amazon.

Vs

POWKIDDY X18 hardware specifications:
                      • SoC – MediaTek MT8163 quad core Cortex A53 processor @ 1.3GHz
                      • Arm Mali-T720 GPU
                      • System Memory – 2GB LPDDR3
                      • Storage – 16GB eMMC flash, microSD card
                      • Display – 5.5″ IPS Screen with 1280 x 720 resolution, 5-point capacitive touchscreen
                      • Video Output – HDMI port
                      • Connectivity – WiFi 4 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth: 4.0
                      • USB – 1x micro USB port (for charging only?)
                      • Buttons – Power button, D-Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L1/L2/R1/R2, left & right joysticks, Start & Select buttons, Volume +/-, Keymap, Task manager, Home, and Back buttons
                      • Battery – 5,500 mAh Li-ion battery
                      • Power Supply – 5V/2A via micro USB port
                      • Dimensions – 14.50 x 14.50 x 2.40 cm
                      • Weight – 300 grams

Currently about £110 on eBay.
                      Last edited by _SD_; 26-06-2019, 05:51.

Comment

Those specs you've posted for the X18 are a little off. Mine has 30gb internal storage and you can also access the devices storage like a phone via the micro USB.

Comment

Here we finally are with the brand new system from Bittboy. It has been vastly improved in some ways and maybe not so much in others. Watch on to see if you should buy the new Pocket-Go.

Comment

Saw the previous model at a retro show recently and was interested.

Googled it and saw it's cheaper online and there's a new model due out, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Yakumo!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Saw the previous model at a retro show recently and was interested.

Googled it and saw it's cheaper online and there's a new model due out, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Yakumo!

I'll be reviewing a system called the LDK next week which is even better. Bigger screen but still keeps the small form factor and runs Linux like the Pocket-Go does.

Comment

There was once a British developer known as Core Design. They started life on the Amiga before hitting the big time with Tomb Raider. Sadly they were bought by a soulless conglomerate and are no more. But before the days of Tomb Raider they did make many original games. Once such game being Chuck Rock.

Comment

Working...
                                X