Retro Core Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Minidisc, how I used to love thee.

Started off with an Aiwa from Richer Sounds which was nice (no long play, this was before it existed) until it stopped recording. Got a Sony to replace it which was far more durable.

Then bought a Sharp MT-77 for a ridiculous amount of money, we’re talking several hundred, and my gosh was it a sexy bit of kit. The way the LEDs at the top flashed when using the various functions, the way the LCD display on the remote had an animated fish swimming across it during playback, the sheer size (or lack of it) - the damn thing could fit inside my wallet, just.

Then I sat down once, the set of Sennheisers I was using with it didn’t have an L-shaped jack, and the plug bent up and damaged the socket. Sharp quoted me £80 to repair it and at the time I, perhaps stupidly, refused to pay that much and left the unit with their repair centre.

Then I bought a Panasonic unit quite cheaply as MP3 was becoming more popular. It was almost as small as the Sharp but nowhere near as sexy. I think that started skipping after a bit so I went back to the fat Sony unit I still had.

If you want to see what the Sharp looked like there is some info here:

A blog about Hi-Fi Personal Stereo, Walkman and Minidisc Players. Vintage analog stereo players and recorders collectible.

Comment

Oh nice. The Sharp MT-77 was a fantastic bit of kit at the time. It's a shame you left it with the repair center. Could have used the optical out at home. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Oh nice. The Sharp MT-77 was a fantastic bit of kit at the time. It's a shame you left it with the repair center. Could have used the optical out at home. Oh well.
        Not sure it had an optical out? Most portable MD units had optical in for recording.

Comment

Yakumo I just rewatched your videos for the MediaPad M5 and also the PowKiddy X15 after pressing rewind on this thread. Basically the devices that are more powerful and can do Saturn, PSP, Dremcast, N64 everything the RG350M cannot...

In your opinion are any of these devices better placed than the 350M?

I wanted to also ask how easy are these more advanced devices to use and get games running on them in your opinion?

Understand the 350M has everything in one neat package and is a premium device.

I do not want to battle half my time with just getting everything up and running through file manipulation.

Any advice appreciated.
          Last edited by CAPCOM; 17-06-2020, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
            I would say, that while those devices might run those games, that's only half the story.

The main reason I sprung for the RG-350M after waiting so long on these devices is that I've seen them in the hands of many other people, and their build quality/buttons/d-pad often feel like crap (sometimes being 4-button "pads" like the Switch), to the point where it doesn't matter what they run; I just won't want to use them.

Having used the RG-350M for a few days now I can say that the controls on the thing, and the feel in the hand, are both wonderful. Not sure I'd go so far as to say they're as good as something like the Vita, and nothing has ever come close to the NGPC's click-stick but they're far and away better than anything else I've used on these types of device.

Comment

My MiniDisc brothers! Still use them on a regular basis, and love the tactile aspect of actually "putting some music on", and the reduction of options for what you want to listen to.

Comment

Thanks Asura that helps a lot.

Comment

Yakumo I just rewatched your videos for the MediaPad M5 and also the PowKiddy X15 after pressing rewind on this thread. Basically the devices that are more powerful and can do Saturn, PSP, Dremcast, N64 everything the RG350M cannot...

I wanted to also ask how easy are these more advanced devices to use and get games running on them in your opinion?

Understand the 350M has everything in one neat package and is a premium device.

I do not want to battle half my time with just getting everything up and running through file manipulation.

Any advice appreciated.
                  Hmm, for ease of use and build quality the RG-350 or if your feeling rich, the RG-350M are the ones to go for. They can't play Saturn or Dreamcast as of now but who knows about the future.
                  The Android devices are more flexible but if you want one with good build quality and controls you'll need to pay up for a GDPX. Now that is a very capable and well made handheld

Comment

I googled GDPX not much came up apart from the GPDX Handheld from a few years ago...

A short video providing an overview of the GP2X. Main focus is on Megadrive, SNES, CPS2 emulators, and homebrew.I will upload a follow up repair video for t...

Do you have a link for that system? Will look at your you tube channel as well for a video. Thanks for advice

I have found it the GPDX Plus Clamshell Android.

Currently on sale from GPD: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5LT9VY3 Camera: https://amzn.to/3REWpcjJoin Discord: https://discord.com/invite/AX2XdFkFollow me:...
                    Last edited by CAPCOM; 19-06-2020, 00:37.

Comment

I

I have found it the GPDX Plus Clamshell Android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWyrX8d_nAI
                      ah, sorry. That's the one I meant. Good system

Comment

Here's a very rare chance to get an outside view of a trip from the bottom of Honshu japan to the top of Kyushu Japan all in real time via the JR Kyushu Kagoshima Line.

JR never have the windows open on trains but due to the Covid-19 issue a few weeks back, they did! What a chance to get actual outside footage of the train travelling.

Comment

Recently I got a few cool pad converters that work really well.

Comment

In this Life in Japan I present you with a look of life as it passes by. Rain, rain and more rain plus some very cool looking restaurant an empty train and more rain. Oh, and a few night shots.

Comment

Japan is so much like the Welsh Valleys when it comes to rain, so wish we have their Arcades mind

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Japan is so much like the Welsh Valleys when it comes to rain, so wish we have their Arcades mind
                                Man, when it rains here it really rains. Crazy weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X