Retro Game compilations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Game compilations

Yesterday I spent the afternoon playing Devil May Cry 3 on the PS2, which was good. BUT in the evening I found myself totally addicted to the Speed Rumbler on Capcom Classics 2. I can honestly say I had more fun playing this than DMC. Big thanks to SuperFamiFreak for helping me identify this game, a few months agos!
    Anyway this is a fantastic time to play Retro games, you get loads of games, and you can buy these compilations really cheap. I also have Capcom Classics 2 and the first 2 Midway Treasures compilations. What other Retro compilations are worth buying? (where the emulation is spot-on)
    I really want to play Pac Man and arcade Tetris! I have Xbox,PS2 and GameCube.
    Thank you!

BUZZZzz

P.S. How close are the StreetFighter games on the CC compilations to the arcade, beacuse I heard they may not be that close?

The SF games on the CC run far too fast for me - seems to be skipping frames as a result. The SF Anniversary one is supposed to be the best.

Comment

I often go back to the old 16bit machines, and arcade games, and feel a surge of enthusiasm for gaming, that modern 3D games rarely give me.

I don't think it's purely nostalgia. That attitude isn't fair on classic old games. A good game, will always be worth playing.

Anyway, I recommend that you buy " Taito Legends 1&2 " .... I hear that the Xbox versions are more solid.

Sega Classics Collection is good, but only the U.S. import. The Pal version is 50hz ... The pack features remakes of some classics( Alien Syndrome, Outrun etc... ) ... plus conversions of Virtua Racing, Bonanza Bros etc...

I hope to see more retro packs soon.

Comment

Taito Legends 2 is very, very good, especially if you're a shooter fan.

I have a small round-up of retro packs on my website, and also don't forget we've covered a few here on the site:

Capcom Classics Collection Remix - PSP
        Powerstone Collection - PSP
        Sega Arcade Gallery - GBA
        Megaman Collection - GCN
        SF Anniversary - Xbox

Comment

There is also a very good sega mega drive compilation on the PS2. Has all the golden axe games on it, comix zone, shinobi III and a few others. Well worth it, especially as it should be pretty cheap by now.

Comment

The mack daddies of the retro compliation world are the Taito Memories Jpn collections. There are four volumes of lovingly presented retro games action, with umpteen classic games on tharr to enjoy. I have all four volumes, thanks to buster broon off of here. Nothing beats Elevator Action Returns, arcade perfect, in 60hz. What a game.

Comment

Is there no way I can play the original Pacman (arcade perfect) on Ps2, Xbox or gamecube?
              I always play retro games in the evening. I'm not sure why. I think its because I just can't be bothered with all the effort you have to put in to some more recent games. Sometimes you just want to get straight into the action.
              Missions do my head in. 'Go and find 10 gold coins, and then come back here, and I'll open this door, so you can have another mission'. I'm like 'can't I just run around, blowing stuff up?'
              I remember when I played Elite, and the whole game had 2 missions in it, and when you got those, it was really exciting. The rest of the game was just open gameplay. Mind you I liked Shenmue (stacking crates, feeding cats) , but then again it did have Space Harrier and Hang-On in it.
              Last edited by buzz909; 27-03-2008, 14:13.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                Is there no way I can play the original Pacman (arcade perfect) on Ps2, Xbox or gamecube?

I'm pretty sure that it's hard to find a machine you can't play that on.

Look for Namco Museum volumes for your platform of choice.

Comment

Is Pacman arcade perfect? I know it should be, but you know, developers even seem to mess the simplest of conversions up. Plus theres the persistent problem of small screen syndrome. Any comps with centipede or millipede on?
                  Thanks - Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                    Is Pacman arcade perfect? I know it should be, but you know, developers even seem to mess the simplest of conversions up. Plus theres the persistent problem of small screen syndrome. Any comps with centipede or millipede on?
                    Thanks - Buzz
                    I don't consider myself enough of an expert to say yes or no on the arcade perfect question, so I'll defer that to someone else and answer your other question.

You want "Midway presents Arcade's Greatest Hits : The Atari Collection 1" for Centipede. "The Atari Collection 2" has Millipede.

For extra nostalgia points, both Centipede and Millipede support the Sony mouse, so they work with the trackball that (Nyko?) put out for the PS1 way back when.

These are both PS1 titles, I don't know if they were released for any other platforms.

Oh, and another caveat, I'm a, what do you call us, a "yank"?, so I don't know if they came out in PAL territories.

So I don't know how helpful I'm being here.

Still, good hunting.

Comment

Yes both of those Atari Collection games came out in the UK. However that was the days of poor PAL conversions - so we get games 17%(?) slower than you, and sometimes with smaller screen displays. I know the Paperboy conversion on one of those compilations wasn't very good, since the PS2 version on the Midway Treasures Comp. is loads better - probably arcade perfect!
                      I think the reason why European games players are generally worse than US or Japanese players is because of years of playing games 17% slower. I use to kill everyone in my halls of residence at SFighter II (SNES), just because I was the only person who had played the Japanese version.
                      Thank you for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                        Anyway, I recommend that you buy " Taito Legends 1&2 " .... I hear that the Xbox versions are more solid.
                        Isn't the PS2 PAL version of one, or both, of those meant to be buggered up and unplayable?

Comment

i can't belive no one mentioned sonic mega collection, it was released on the gamecube xbox and pc i belive, i have this game on the cube and ps2.

Comment

Sonic Gems Collection compliments it perfectly too.

I personally love the Taito collections (Xbox versions) and the Megaman Anniversary pack for GC is a stonker too.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple Convoy View Post
                              Isn't the PS2 PAL version of one, or both, of those meant to be buggered up and unplayable?
                              With Taito Legends 1, I think people had issues with the Bubble Bobble enemy/level layout and the bubble physics() Plus, I don't know if it's just me, but Tokio seems jerky as hell.

Both compilations have unremovable filters over the graphics which don't really pose any problems, except to us who like their pixels to be really square and sharp(!) Taito Legends 2 supposedly has issues with the special weapon/gun control mechanism in Metal Black on the PS2 version, meaning it can't be played exactly the way it was meant to be. But they're minor issues, to be honest, when you can pick up TL2 in Zavvi right now for £5, and that's for 20+ games including Elevator Action Returns. One minor niggle of mine is that they left out 4 games from both the PS2 and Xbox versions, which meant that to get RayForce, Bubble Symphony and Cadash, you have to get the Xbox version as well. I think the XB misses out on RayStorm, Syvalion, G-Darius and summat else.

The Jap 'Taito Memories' compilations are supposed to be the definitive versions, but the UK comps are great, and you could get both for a tenner, maybe less (and they're 60hz, too.)

Obviously, there's probably a few more probs with them, and there're people on here a lot more educated about these comps than me, but I suggest you just say 'what the fug' and get both.

PS: Oh, and there's none of the Arkanoids in the PAL comps, nor is there Thundercade.

Comment

Working...
                              X